autologin and start streaming camera

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
splough
New Cone
New Cone

autologin and start streaming camera

Postby splough » 10 Jan 2004 04:16

I just need a little guidance on this subject. Can anyone tell me how I can setup a linux box so that when the box boots up it will autologin and start the vlc client to stream a camcorder.

I have a linux box all configured and I can start the stream with the command line code, but I have a school that wants to broadcast their morning announcements from the camera and I can't be there to boot up the system and login and start the stream.

I need to have this work if they lose power or mess the computer up so they can just reboot the computer and be back up and running.

Thanks Scott

BigBen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby BigBen » 16 Jan 2004 16:04

Well, the easiest woutld be to start vlc in a screen :

create a vlc.sh file, in which you put your vlc command line (don't forget to specify -I dummy, rc, or http, since there won't be any X server available)

Then, add a script in the right /etc/rc?.d directory (or use the tools that come with your distro to do it) that launches :

screen -md -S vlc-streamer /path/to/vlc.sh

when the script is called with the "start" option.
--
BigBen

VideoLAN Team

amccollough
New Cone
New Cone

Re: autologin and start streaming camera

Postby amccollough » 05 Mar 2009 21:42

BigBen, could you please post exactly how to do this? I'm brand new to VLC, and wish to exaclty what this guy is describing. I'm okay with bash scripting, but am just not following what you're saying exactly.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”