Help needed with HTTP streaming with VLC

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
kliptu
New Cone
New Cone

Help needed with HTTP streaming with VLC

Postby kliptu » 30 Jan 2010 21:21

Hello everyone,

I have VLC Media Player version 1.0.3 rc installed in my pc. A couple of days back I tried streaming the movie AVATAR with VLC in WMV format with mp3 audio.This is what I did:

I opened VLC and selected Streaming,then from the File Dialog box,I selected the video file of AVATAR using the ADD button.Then I clicked Stream,then next I selected the HTTP protocol and added my pc's IP address along with port 8080.Then I selected the WMV profile and clicked Stream.

The file began to stream.I opened another VLC media player interface on my pc and using Open Network Stream and typing in my pc's IP address in the address option,I was able to view my streamed video(with the audio also) on my pc.

But when I told some of my friends to view my streamed video by putting in my pc's IP address in their VLC media players,they said that they could not connect to the stream.Why is that?

What do I have to do to get other people view my streamed video/audio from their own pc's while I use the HTTP protocol for streaming from my pc?

And another question: How can I select multiple files so that they can stream one by one (I mean that after one file is done streaming,automatically the other file's streaming will start)?

Please help me !!!

jester805
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Help needed with HTTP streaming with VLC

Postby jester805 » 31 Jan 2010 01:16

I'm new to VLC streaming, but a couple things come to mind:
  • 1. Is your streaming PC behind a firewall or router?
    2. Does your PC have a public or private IP address?
    3. I streamed my webcam via the HTTP stream, and it could only be viewed by one computer at a time.
Sorry I'm not much help, but just some things I've picked up on the way.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”