Java P2P Streaming Project: JMF or JVLC?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage

JMF or JVLC?

JVLC, cause it supports everything you said you need!
100%
JMF, cause JVLC doesn't support some of your requirements. Poor you!
No votes
Neither JVLC nor JMF, just give up!
No votes

Total votes: 2

othon2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Java P2P Streaming Project: JMF or JVLC?

Postby othon2000 » 01 Sep 2008 01:16

Hi all.

I'm a CS student in Brazil developing my "Final Project" (surely this is not the way you call it out of Brazil, but this is the way I can express myself ;) ).
My project is about P2P media streaming, and I'm going to build what I called "P2P Media Framework", which will be a "helper" application for implementing different types of P2P streaming protocols with much less work than if you did it from ZERO.

Before somone asks, the reason why I'll use Java for such thing and not C++ is simply because I can't code in C++. I've been writing Java code for many years at work, and saw almost nothing of C++ at the university :-|. Anyway, at first this project is for academical purposes and performance shouldn't be a critical point.

Basically, my app entities and it's requirements are the followings:
(These are the requirements that envolve the media framework I'll use, such as JMF or JVLC)
1) Main Server, should be capable of:
- Creating a RTP stream from some media stored in the hard drive, webcam, etc and sending it to multiple hosts;
- (This item is independent of JVLC, JMF, etc) Mantaining the distribution tree sending "orders" like: "Peer A, send the stream to Peer B"; "Peer B, send the stream to Peers C and D". The decisions of when and why to change the distribution tree will be the work of someone using my framework. For that, the developer should be able to implement "measurements" like end-to-end delay, available up/down bandwidth on each peer, etc).

2) Peers, should be capable of:
- Receive media from an RTP stream;
- Play the received media;
- Retransmit the stream to multiple hosts;
- Send some stream quality information to the main server, which will be used by the "Main Server" to rearrange the distribution tree;

Well, until now I thougth I had no option but to use the old Sun/IBM's JMF, which for what I've seen, is capable of doing the things listed above. But then I started reading about JVLC, downloaded it and ran it and it worked so fine (and JMF works so bad...)!

I'd appreciate if some of you who know the features of VLC/JVLC could tell me if it's possible to use JVLC on my project instead of JMF.

In addition, if any of you get interested in the project, it'll be a pleasure to share my ideas here.
I've got 2~3 weeks to do the specification of the API, and then I should be ready to start coding it (whatever with JMF or JVLC).

Thanks in advance and sorry for any english errors!

xlord
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Java P2P Streaming Project: JMF or JVLC?

Postby xlord » 07 Oct 2008 14:24

any news from your project?

some Feature request from me:

-End to End Encryption for P2P Streaming(Connections/Transfers)(AES/RSA).
-Decentral Server/Tracker feature( It wil be very difficult to find Darknet/F2F based P2P Streaming Networks).
-Possiblty to can make own P2P Streaming networks with your Community/Friends( Decentral).
-Trackerless

ptechao
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ptechao » 20 May 2009 15:35

Just found ur board. And wonder how is going on now?
I need somthing as you. also need implemented into vlc or vls, have you ?
pls tell me if anything new . Thank you a lots

othon2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby othon2000 » 20 May 2009 18:07

Unfortunately, it didn`t go on.
I had too many problems with JVLC and not much support neither much willness nor time to solve them.
I ended up changing the focus of my paper more to research stuff, and used VLC for some demonstrations. I wrote some java code that controls VLC using its telnet interface so I could have an API to write good code. It`s not wonderful stuff but I can send it to you if you think it`ll help.

othon2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby othon2000 » 08 Oct 2009 21:52

Cool, xlord.

I`m kind of working on a completely different area right now, but it`s nice to see something similar. Though I won`t have time to play with it.
My thesis was only written in Portuguese, otherwise I could send it to you so you could have a look at my ideas =/

See ya!
Othon

xlord
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xlord » 11 Oct 2009 18:40

you mean you never more continoue on P2P Streaming Project.

othon2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby othon2000 » 11 Oct 2009 19:20

Exactly.

It was actually never my main area of interest, as a I work with consulting in business software. I've been looking closely at video streaming during one year to write my thesis and get my degree.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”