Setting video and audio PID while streaming

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
bvs

Setting video and audio PID while streaming

Postby bvs » 11 Mar 2004 00:31

I would like to set the video and audio PIDs used by VLC when it streams data over the network.

I am streaming video to a device that has the video PID fixed at 0x31 and the audio PID fixed at 0x32. It seems that the VLC generated PAT is 0, the PMT is 0x42, the video PID is always 0x44, and the audio PID is always 0x45.

Is there any way to force the video PID to be 0x31 and the audio PID to be 0x32 when streaming in VLC ? I will eventually need to make the other device read the PAT/PMT, but I am not there yet.

Thank In Advance
Bill VerSteeg

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2004 17:13

I am also interested in that, though I need different PID's.

Kai

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 02 Nov 2004 17:18

Use a current VLC build (the 0.8 test builds).

Settings -- Preferences, check Advanced Options.

Open Modules -- sout mux -- mux_ts. The settings you want to control are there.

fdidoo

PCR PID

Postby fdidoo » 03 Nov 2004 13:10

Ok! it's possible to assign specific PIDs for audio and video.
However I need to assign a PID for PCR (different from video's). Is it possible to do so?
:?: :?: :?: :?:
:cry:
Thanks in advance

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Nov 2004 13:53

The Help, when you hold the cursor over the Video PID box, specifically says that the PCR PID will match the video PID.

The devs are pretty good about telling you limits. If the five IDs you can adjust don't get you what you need, you're out of luck for right now.

vsipat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Linux / Windows

my 2 cents

Postby vsipat » 12 Nov 2004 06:07

it is my understanding that all PID values have to be unique, in order for the TS demux to be able to distinguish the incoming packets. Since it is possible to include multiple Programs within a single Transport Stream, each individual program (and corresponding PMT) should carry its own unique PCR PID in addition to any Video and Audio PIDs. Each Programs elementary streams (video, audio, ...) can access its associated PCR. I think this is the matching that is implied by the following statement

"The Help, when you hold the cursor over the Video PID box, specifically says that the PCR PID will match the video PID." (*Not sure how to do the fancy quote box, feel free to advise me)

The only other option for the PCR and Video actually matching PIDs would be to include the PCR data in the Adaptation Field Section of the TS Header for packets associated with Video. I am pretty sure this would be against the MPEG standard, and in order for the individual elementary streams (audio, video, ...) to be syncronized, they would all have to include such PCR data in the AF of their headers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note
Does VLC allow for multiple programs in a single TS?

-vsipat

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”