UDP? what happened?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
happychatt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

UDP? what happened?

Postby happychatt » 26 Sep 2008 21:58

I have to send MPEG2 via udp (224.etc) to our internet service provider for our local television station, as much as this sounds like a newbie question (which I kinda am) why would you change it to RTP over UDP,and 3 ports? I understand rtp is built on udp, but something is different ... I only use one port to send this stream (8208) why the change? It was easy to put the address in, the port hit stream and go, now It makes no sense.....I stream using winxp and a hatteras ethernet/copper direct box, when I use 0.8.6i it's fine, using 9.2, sends a signal to my hatteras box, but nothing displays on the station? any ideas?

I would like to be able to send the video from a dvd and the sound from another source through the same "out", I only have one IP and one port any ideas?

Why is VLC the only program in the universe that will accomplish this (mpeg2 through udp to ip) ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: UDP? what happened?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 30 Sep 2008 22:23

MPEG2 over RTP over UDP only needs one port for data, and one port for statistics, which is anyway always the next port. So there is only one port to configure anyway.
Why is VLC the only program in the universe that will accomplish this (mpeg2 through udp to ip) ?
Is this some kind of joke?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

happychatt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby happychatt » 03 Oct 2008 03:24

...to the elitist, thanks for your reply, but this is my job, mine and my families food, shelter, and my own life's dependance on understanding and executing this concept, I go to the forums looking for help, so, Mr. Douche, no...I'm afraid it isn't a joke.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 03 Oct 2008 17:19

And raw UDP sucks big time for streaming. It just does. No packet loss detection, no packet reordering detection (TS streams do not like this, you know?), no delay jitter estimation (prevents low latency, which VLC 1.0 will be introducing), incompatible with RTSP, what not?

VLC is far from being the only software in the world doing this. And even if it were, I could not care less about what crappy software does. You can still stream over raw UDP as before if you really want, with the same syntax as before.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jossnaz » 14 Oct 2008 15:59

can we get more infos about low latency in 1.0? how is this gonna work (just a couple of short words)? how low will the latency be (around 2 seconds? 1 second?)

cheers

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 14 Oct 2008 21:49

Hopefully around as little as the delay jitter and buffering allow. Depends a lot on your network.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jossnaz » 15 Oct 2008 01:54

if i set the buffers to 0 in 0.9x i'll get the same delay when network is fine?

happychatt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby happychatt » 15 Oct 2008 16:13

update:
I have specific requirements and can only encode and serve to a unicast address via UDP (specific ip, specific address, specific port). Funny cause when I first downloaded 0.9.4 it worked fine, after I tweaked a few things it never worked again. I deleted pref's and cache, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted registry values, then bought a new computer, same thing, ...I am to the point where I WOULD PAY A PROGRAMMER to custom compile a version of 9.4 to specifically accomplish this one task, (i am a tv producer not a network guru /programmer/etc.)

1. capture from an osprey card
2. convert to MPEG-2
3. stream MPEG-ts via udp to a 224.1.1.18:8208 address

although it will do this in 8.6 and it's been ok, there are memory leaks and it freezes after a few hours

we are a start up public access station, our service provider is local I have a one way (us to them) coppper/ ethernet connection, I need the scheduling and programming, logo, etc. features of 9.4 cause they rock and the new interface makes it easy on myself and the folks that work here. (i know the other versions have this too, but they never worked for me)

I know other programs will accomplish this task and I promise to come back to VLC once it gets to v1 but can anyone suggest software, anything, specific command line?

thanks again

B

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 15 Oct 2008 16:26

if i set the buffers to 0 in 0.9x i'll get the same delay when network is fine?
0 will probably result in terribly choppy performance. Any real-life network stream need some caching, although VLC is erring on the abusive side.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”