Streaming - locally ok but not over web

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming - locally ok but not over web

Postby pesky » 09 Jul 2008 05:00

So here's what I've accomplished:

Got VLC showing my video from my tv card (hauppauge pvr-150 s-video feed). I can run Windows Media player and using the local URL (192.168.0.xxx), the video plays fine. When I try to use my dynamic ip (http://23.65.136.12:1234 (I have checked it and it is correct), Media Player reports:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct."

I am able to use WMP and view a webcam (using Windows Media Encoder) no problem. Why can't I do this with VLC?

I know WMP is ok with the file, because it plays locally, and I know the port forwarding is ok because I can play the webcam!

I'm kind of close to passing on VLC and using an Ethernet video device, but I'm sooooo close!

Anyone??

olegkirillov
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Streaming - locally ok but not over web

Postby olegkirillov » 09 Jul 2008 10:30

What is you network setup? What device (interface) receives the dynamic IP? You could play the stream via dynamic IP only if this address belongs to one of your computer's interfaces, not modem/router ports.
If so, check your firewall settings and make an exception for 1234/TCP.

pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pesky » 11 Jul 2008 18:49

Thaks for the reply (sorry for the lateness).

I have a lan and a router (192.168.0.1) which two computers are connected to.
Each computer is assigned a unique ip (192.168.0.100 & 192.168.0.101 for example).
Running 'ipconfig' confirms the ip's are assigned correctly.
My current dynamic IP is 70.68.xxx.xx - this is the same for the last while, but I do make sure it is correct when trying to get this to work, of course!
(I am going to use DynDNS to get a 'permanent' ip - but I don't need to do that at this stage)

I bring up WMP and Ctrl 'U' to enter the address. I use 192.168.0.100:1234 (this is not the EXACT ip of course) and I get the video stream playing.

Now I try http://70.68.xxx.xx:1234 and I can't get it to play.
I turned off the firewall, but I do have the port as an exception to allow traffic.
I also have the port forwarding set up in mu router. The router is a cheap D-Link DI-524 and I'm wondering if the problem is that even though it says the address is allowed, it is not.
Any suggestions?

I just tried using VLC to play the stream and it acts the same -
I can play 192.168.0.xxx:xxxx ok, but I can't play 70.68.xxx.xx:xxxx
I think the router is not allowing port forwarding, but it allows it when I use a USB webcam.
Firewall is off.
?

Let me correct that!
USB webcam is accessable when streamed using Windows Media Encoder - I have the same problem when trying to stream with VLC.
This would indicate the problem is definately to do with VLC, or more likely, my setup of VLC.

olegkirillov
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby olegkirillov » 12 Jul 2008 09:46

It's just networking principle. You cannot get traffic from the outside interface of your router, only external users can do that. Try to ask someone to test your stream from the outside, I'm sure he'll succeed.
And turn your firewall back on as you're made an exception for stream port.

pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pesky » 18 Jul 2008 20:24

I used my laptop and jacked in to a diff. network and tried to access the video, but no luck!
I can access the video from the laptop when signed in to my network and typing in the local address in WMP (http://192.168.0.100:3017) Which is the actual address and port I'm using.
I am going to put the video card into the other desktop and try streaming from that system. I got a feeling there is something screwy with my main system.
I actually re-installed XP service pack 3 and found that cleared up a problem I was having with Windows Media Encoder, so I am beginning to suspect it's a deep rooted network setting problem!
Peter

pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pesky » 20 Jul 2008 22:36

Found one thing I was doing wrong:
I was entering the port as "12/34" (a combo of private & public ports)
Now it looks like: "1234/1234" and port 1234 is open.
I can access video from the internet now, but only when I use a webcam with Windows Media Encoder.
I cannot view video when using VLC and my tv capture card.
Anyone got any clue?
I can see it locally, but when I try using my DNS ip, I get the old MS message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct."

:( :( :twisted:

olegkirillov
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby olegkirillov » 21 Jul 2008 10:22

What codec, access protocol and mux are you using?
Try wmv3/wma, http and asf respectively, these should work.

pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pesky » 21 Jul 2008 16:52

I will investigate further, but I'm going on vacation for a bit - I'll post when I return!

nilsk123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nilsk123 » 22 Jul 2008 12:08

So you have forwarded public port 1234 to local port 1234 and redirected it to the local IP that hosts the VLC stream? If so, then you could still try to put the local IP that hosts the stream in the DMZ (Exposed Host).

topala_gustav
New Cone
New Cone

Postby topala_gustav » 07 Aug 2008 21:13

I have a similar problem:
- LAN with ICS running on win XP ( 192.168.0.1), videolan + video capture card( 192.168.0.2), http streaming ( 192.168.0.2:777). From inside LAN i can access the video streaming, but not from internet. I fear it is a problem with ICS and port mapping. In ICS settings I added a service "test" that runs at 192.168.0.2( pc with videolan) and has internal port 777 and external port 777. Where is the problem, please ?

pesky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pesky » 07 Aug 2008 22:34

Iswitched to Yawcam with sucessful results!

carlosabdomingos
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Streaming - locally ok but not over web: configurations

Postby carlosabdomingos » 05 Sep 2008 15:38

Hello!

How can I play the images in real time for a webcam, to windows media player or browser?

The images of the web cam appears in the VLC, but nothing more. I can output to the browser or media player, everything locally. I want first teste in my PC, for later put in a public page over the internet!

I have a PC with windows XP service pack 2, Windows Media Player 11, Logitech WebCam messenger and IE 7.0, Firefox 3 and Opera 9!

Thanks!

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”