Setup multiple RTP streams - possible bug?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
rbarrero
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Setup multiple RTP streams - possible bug?

Postby rbarrero » 13 May 2008 19:54

Hi;

I'm running VLC 0.9.0-git on linux which transcodes and properly streams via RTP to another machine. The problem is that I am not able to change the destination port. For some odd reason, it appears that only destination ports 50000-50004 are working. Defining other ports does not seem to take effect and therefore we cannot separate streams as they overwrite each other on the same destination ports when streaming multiple RTP streams.

Below is the syntax I'm using... I'm defining non-default ports here:

./vlc --no-stats -vvv udp://@67.11.9.6:1330 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mp4a,scale=1,vb=600,ab=48,channels=2,samplerate=22100}:rtp{port=50014,port-video=50012,port-audio=50010,dst=67.11.9.4,proto=udp,ttl=12,name="channel1",sdp=http://67.11.9.6:8080/channel1.sdp}'

When I define other ports (like above), only a few packets make it and then I get this error: "removing socket N". After looking through source (rtp.c), it appears that VLC determines this socket to be dead, and then it removes it. This does not happen if I define ports within 50000-500004 or allow VLC to use the defaults (don't define anything).

Using the "port" parameter alone does nothing, "port-video" and "port-audio" are the parameters that actually seem to matter and make a difference... however, whenever we set these to something other than 50000 and 50002, the socket dies and is removed from VLC. Is this a bug?

How can I define a port or setup separate streams with RTP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rafael

maynard
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Setup multiple RTP streams - possible bug?

Postby maynard » 13 May 2008 20:08

i have almost the exact same problem, i have started the thread 'streaming with dss an vlc' just under yours. you should follow it in case i get a respond as i will with yours. in my case it's only when i try with two LIVE streams that this problem occurs, same with you?

rbarrero
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rbarrero » 13 May 2008 21:57

Yeah, I pretty much have the same problem... because we can't assign the ports manually per stream, they go out on the same ports, which only allows one stream to be viewed at a time.

Let me know if you find anything! Thanks,

Rafael

rbarrero
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rbarrero » 16 May 2008 03:17

Hi everyone... I never got a response on this (in here or IRC), but I was able to resolve my problem.

Solution: VLC-0.8.6f works. Never expected 0.9.0-git to have broken RTP support.

With vlc 0.8.fI'm now able to:
1. define ports for video and audio (and they actually work)
2. stream multiple RTP streams to another machine and have no interference problem
3. data actually is streamed via udp (rtp)

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rafael

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 May 2008 04:42

0.9.0 is in the works. Please fill a bug about it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 May 2008 16:19

It looks like you are receiving ICMP errors, and VLC stops sending due to that. Make sure the other end is listening on the right port numbers.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”