Speex in Ogg problem

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Nil Einne
New Cone
New Cone

Speex in Ogg problem

Postby Nil Einne » 10 Sep 2007 02:04

Ogg is the native Speex container and indeed is the only Speex container supported by VLC. Yet for some reason I'n getting very high file overhead when I mux Speex in Ogg.

For example

:sout=#transcode{threads=2,acodec=spx,aenc=speex,channels=1}:duplicate{threads=2,dst=std{audio,access=file,mux=ogg,dst="c:\temp\speex.ogg",threads=2}} :no-sout-video
or
:sout=#transcode{acodec=spx,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ogg,dst="c:\temp\Speex.ogg"}}

Gives a file size 1.73mb. If I choose RAW 'container' the file is about 0.99mb although I can't play the file because it just a RAW speex bitstream I guess. If I put it in a WAV 'container', the result is similar although I get a file that plays but is static (i.e. it's playing the speex bitstream as a PCM wave). If I use the Speex command line encoder I get a file of about 1.03mb but it is a valid Ogg that can be played by VLC etc. And yes I'm encoding with the same CBR bitrate as confirmed by the Speex command line decoder. The file source here is a 8000 hz WAV but I've tried it with different sources. I've fooled around with the output options a bit but I don't see anything that helps since the Ogg doesn't have any command line options and I don't think Speex has either.

Anyone know's what's up? Is this a bug? I've tried a recent SVN (August I believe) and the problem still occurs.

Cheers

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”