streaming ogg

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
pam12
New Cone
New Cone

streaming ogg

Postby pam12 » 07 Sep 2007 19:01

Hi! I am new VLC user and I try to stream this radio station to my computer but it says cannot open, no access, can somebody help? I am using Mac 2 GHz intel gore duo 10.4.10
input stream: mrfm.ogg.m3u
partial extract: no
streaming method:UDP-unicast
destination: my IP address
include subtitution:no
transcode avoid:no
encap format:MPEG ts
TTL:1
Sap announce:no
MRL: sout=#standard (mux=ts,dst:my IP addu, address=UDP), sout-transcode

Nil Einne
New Cone
New Cone

Re: streaming ogg

Postby Nil Einne » 09 Sep 2007 19:28

There is no such thing as an Ogg codec (or rather there are multiple Ogg codecs). i guess you mean the Vorbis codec? Or perhaps Speex?

Anyway if you check out the help pages you can see that http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html Vorbis and Speex are not supported in the MPEG TS container. They only work in the Ogg container. And indeed from tests I did in June I THINK this remains accurate. While some other utilities may be able to Mux Vorbis/Speex into various containers the only ones really recommended are Ogg amd MKV. VLC only supports the Ogg container for output at the moment so your only choice is Ogg.

Next you are choosing UDP. But the Ogg container can't be streamed over UDP currently or any thing other then HTTP according to the docs. And from memory of my tests this is true. While HTTP has some disadvantages it isn't that bad I think. And if it's a local network the it probably doesn't matter

So what you should be trying is Vorbis/Speex in the Ogg container over HTTP. This works on Windows and it should also work on the Mac version. If you are trying to stream over the internet make sure the port your server is on is remotely accessible.

BTW, the easiest way to test things is to seperate what you're doing. First try to test Ogg in various containers. Output to file. Does it work (i.e. can you open the file with VLC and is it Vorbis/Speex?). Then try streaming those that work over the various protocols

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”