Point-to-point audio stream - efficiency

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
bruce
New Cone
New Cone

Point-to-point audio stream - efficiency

Postby bruce » 27 Aug 2007 23:35

Hi,

I have an application which requires getting a stereo audio signal from one location to another. I have an old PC running Windows and VLC at each location.

So I set the "encoder" vlc to open the audio capture device, and stream over udp to the destination. I then set the "decoder" to receive this stream and send it to the audio output.

And it works well.

I'm looking for some advice on optimising this setup. Both PCs are relatively low-powered. On the source unit, which transcoding options should I select in the stream output module? Which are most efficient? I'm using mp3 at the moment.

diggum
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Point-to-point audio stream - efficiency

Postby diggum » 28 Aug 2007 19:37

I'm in the same situation pretty much. If anyone has the answer please post it here.

Thanks dearly.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 08 Sep 2007 17:57

It's a matter of engineering tradeoffs, whether you want to spend more CPU, more network bandwidth, or lower the quality. So there is no answer to your problem.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Nil Einne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nil Einne » 09 Sep 2007 19:19

Out of interest what is the source stream? Is it not possible to just stream the file without transcoding? From a quality and CPU resources (of the streaming computer anyway) standpoint this would be the best option.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”