3.x VLC for Windows Store Does not work. Why can't a 1.x or 2.x version be available too?

​VLC for Windows Store​ specific questions

This includes WinRT, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile and Xbox 1
fefrie
New Cone
New Cone

3.x VLC for Windows Store Does not work. Why can't a 1.x or 2.x version be available too?

Postby fefrie » 13 Apr 2019 23:38

3.X does not work on Windows 8.1 on my Tablet.

I can't access the sliders bar which accesses the speed, audio delay, or chapters button. Pressing it crashes the whole application.

The orientation is broken. It doesn't work on all 4 sides of my tablet.

The subtitles always come on, and the options aren't displayed, just black bars so I have to guess at which black bar is the 'disable'.

Design wise, I use it to play a video directly from the file explorer, but when I click on a file, it goes from Open app>cone>media library>video. The old app went directly from Open app>cone>video.

I get it. Windows 8.1 is not supported anymore. But you have legacy downloads for all your older versions on almost all platforms. Why can't you have legacy downloads for Windows Store for Windows 8.1?

If it's because a legacy version phones home, can't you just turn it off, or just point it to 0.0.0.0?

If it's because you don't want to deal with luddites who don't realize that there is no support, why not just call it "VLC LEGACY ARCHIVE Media Player for Windows 8.1" and just explicitly state that there is no support available for an old version.

If it's because there can only be ONE VLC listing on the Windows 8.1 store, well that's clearly not the case, because there are two VLC media players available on the Windows 8.1 store, both exactly the same, downloadable and concurrently playable at the same time. Why not repurpose one of them, or if two is possible, why not three?

VLC seems to want to convey a 'linux' ethos of 'we do it right, we give you choice, we'll support you no matter your hardware', but this VLC windows store mentality seems to convey a Microsoft "We're going to force you to keep this upgrade, even though it's clearly an inferior product for your hardware/needs", and unless there are specific reasons why you can't have more than one version available on the Windows Store (I don't understand how the windows store politics work), it just seems like VLC is being monolithic in it's thinking for this ONE specific instance. It doesn't make sense. You make VLC available for many, different platforms, and for hardware eras. Why not for this case? The work is already done, just re release it.

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Re: 3.x VLC for Windows Store Does not work. Why can't a 1.x or 2.x version be available too?

Postby mfkl » 15 Apr 2019 05:33

Why can't you have legacy downloads for Windows Store for Windows 8.1?
We do https://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc-winrt. 8.1 versions up until 1.7, September 2015. Not through the Store though.
If it's because there can only be ONE VLC listing on the Windows 8.1 store, well that's clearly not the case, because there are two VLC media players available on the Windows 8.1 store, both exactly the same, downloadable and concurrently playable at the same time.
There was one package for the win8.1 version and one package for the win10 version. Now the win10 package also distributes the 8.1 version (all 3.x).
https://mfkl.github.io

Return to “​VLC for Windows Store​”