​VLC for Windows Store​ specific questions

This includes WinRT, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile and Xbox 1
MrJakl
New Cone
New Cone

VLC on XBox Series X

Postby MrJakl » 27 Feb 2022 11:49

Hallo together,
i use VLC since years but on XBox i was disappointed.
My Xbox and my Synology DS920+ is connected with LAN Cable with a Speed of 1 GBit and i use the vlc to Open Videos on my Synology via DLNA.

And now to my problems:
1. Micro stuttering
If i Open a 4K Video with HDR there are Micro stuttering. I search an Option to configure the buffer size but This Option is missing in this version of the vlc Player.

2. App Crash After 110-120 minutes
If i Play a 4K Video with hdr then the App Crashs everytime After 110-120 minutes. Propably there is a bug in Memory Management.

3. No App Updates since monthes
i checked For Updates but there are no Updates since monthes, so the question is, is the Development stopped Ford the Xbox Version? If yes please confirm then i search Ford an alternative.

Regards

Bastian

NoLifeDGenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC on XBox Series X

Postby NoLifeDGenerate » 27 Feb 2022 14:30

Yeah, the damn thing constantly decides to start playing a video then go black screen while the audio keeps going for no apparent reason. It's absolutely ridiculous they won't compile the current version to release on Xbox. The one on Xbox should be removed because it's a pile of shiit and they refuse to support it at all. Good luck finding anything else that browses SMB shares for playback though. I'm apparently going to have to spend $100s on a Dune-HD media player because these idiots refuse to update their app.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 01 Mar 2022 13:33

Hi, calling volunteer people idiot because they don't work on what you'd like feels uncalled for.

The vlc-winrt has no maintainers anymore, and there is a lot to do in order to make it working correctly: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-winrt

NoLifeDGenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NoLifeDGenerate » 01 Mar 2022 13:54

Hi, calling volunteer people idiot because they don't work on what you'd like feels uncalled for.

The vlc-winrt has no maintainers anymore, and there is a lot to do in order to make it working correctly: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-winrt
It's totally called for when I have to spend $500 to find a suitable replacement because they released something and stopped maintaining it. There's no excuse for not compiling the new version to work on Xbox at some fukking point, and there's no excuse for leaving an non-working app on the Xbox store. The damn thing is borderline unusable on Series X now. I don't know why it keeps getting worse on its own, but it does. Probably a perfect example of why I can't stand the lazy way people write software nowadays. Nothing is compiled to be a standalone app anymore. Everything is riddled with dependencies and when something changes about those it's broken.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 01 Mar 2022 15:51

If you spend $500 to find a replacement software instead of buying a $60 free hardware platform like raspberry pi with the same playback capabilities, that's on you tbh.

The desktop version of VLC is very well-maintained, and should compile for UWP except for the interface at the moment. It's planned on the long run, but Xbox is clearly not the priority of the people working on it, in particular because it requires hardware and it's a closed platform.

The vlc-winrt interface has been done as a prototype long ago. It's using libvlc, which can be updated there, but its original developer has been gone for a long time. It's also using libvlcppcx which is also not maintained for years in favour of libvlcsharp now.

Since literally nobody is working on vlc-winrt anymore, there's not even a "lazy" unpaid volunteer developer that you can harass. There's just nobody behind this project currently. You're free to contribute or pay people to contribute.

NoLifeDGenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NoLifeDGenerate » 01 Mar 2022 16:05

If you spend $500 to find a replacement software instead of buying a $60 free hardware platform like raspberry pi with the same playback capabilities, that's on you tbh.
I didn't say I was spending $500 on software. That raspberry shiit is NOT a suitable replacement to me. All I wanted was an app on my Xbox or TV that can browse my SMB fileshare and playback all video formats/codecs I throw at it. Instead, I have to buy a dedicated box for the convenience. I'm looking at a Dune-HD.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 01 Mar 2022 16:07

Is your TV an android TV ? if so you could give a try to VLC for Android for that use case. Otherwise, there's nothing we can do for you at the moment.

rajiegill89
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rajiegill89 » 28 Mar 2022 00:39

The FIX to get VLC UWP on xbox series x/s to allow you to access your windows smb:

Go to:

Control Panel=>Programs and Features

and click on the left pane "Turn windows features on or off" and check CIFS old protocol.

It fixed it for me

ssandman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ssandman » 17 Mar 2023 22:11

Yeah, the damn thing constantly decides to start playing a video then go black screen while the audio keeps going for no apparent reason. It's absolutely ridiculous they won't compile the current version to release on Xbox. The one on Xbox should be removed because it's a pile of shiit and they refuse to support it at all. Good luck finding anything else that browses SMB shares for playback though. I'm apparently going to have to spend $100s on a Dune-HD media player because these idiots refuse to update their app.
I came here for this same reason. I also don't understand why it worked beautifully for years and now it blacks out like you said w/ audio still going. If no update was done how is this possible?

I am going to have to look at the other solutions some have suggested but I must say it is annoying and incomprehensible how the volunteers who are available to work on other platforms can't spend time supporting what I must imagine is a high demand product. I understand we are spoiled these free tools exist at all I just wish there was a way to alert someone who might be willing to work on the issue for resolution.

I bought the series x and my lg oled with the intention of streaming via smb and its just extremely frustrating that everything worked now it doesn't. :x

ssandman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ssandman » 18 Mar 2023 00:01

I didn't say I was spending $500 on software. That raspberry shiit is NOT a suitable replacement to me. All I wanted was an app on my Xbox or TV that can browse my SMB fileshare and playback all video formats/codecs I throw at it. Instead, I have to buy a dedicated box for the convenience. I'm looking at a Dune-HD.

I just realized I can use VLC on iPhone & screen mirror via airplay 2 to the TV. Seems to work fine & easy solution.

Obviously not helpful if tv lacks that capability.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 27 Mar 2023 13:28

I came here for this same reason. I also don't understand why it worked beautifully for years and now it blacks out like you said w/ audio still going. If no update was done how is this possible?
Not sure how this could have worked beautifully for years on a 2-year-old device but the UWP version always had a lot of issues, especially deadlocks.

NEDpkb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NEDpkb » 19 Apr 2023 19:02

Given the bad vibes in this thread, I’d like to thank the developers of VLAN on Xbox. It may not match the features of the desktop version, but I found it to be a convenient way of transferring and watching videos.

Thorz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thorz » 05 May 2023 22:42

Given the bad vibes in this thread, I’d like to thank the developers of VLAN on Xbox. It may not match the features of the desktop version, but I found it to be a convenient way of transferring and watching videos.
Let me join you in that good feeling.
No matter how entitled some people think they are, let's respect the devs that dedicate their time to creating valuable things that are useful to us, even when such things are not perfect or the projects get abandoned.
VLC-WinRT has given me countless hours of joy playing videos on both the XB1 and the Series X. I transfer the videos to the XB via WiFi link.
The one on Xbox should be removed because it's a pile of shiit and they refuse to support it at all. Good luck finding anything else that browses SMB shares for playback though. I'm apparently going to have to spend $100s on a Dune-HD media player because these idiots refuse to update their app.
I cannot describe how out of line a comment like this is when we are speaking here about a free program developed voluntarily, and when the project has for whatever reason been long abandoned. Don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to use it. In the end, even if you are not happy with the project, the devs deserve respect.

porkandbeansboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby porkandbeansboy » 26 Nov 2023 10:32

Your hard work is appreciated I just wanted to let you know that fact.

Return to “​VLC for Windows Store​”