Blu-Ray Support

​VLC for Windows Store​ specific questions

This includes WinRT, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile and Xbox 1
RFranzen
New Cone
New Cone

Blu-Ray Support

Postby RFranzen » 23 Jun 2021 16:08

I installed VLC on my new Windows 10 64-bit OS machine via the Windows App Store. I want to add Blu Ray support and found https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ telling me how to do it -- except for app store installs, that is. Apparently app store installs don't go to "c:\Program Files" and don't have an executable named "vlc.exe". Instead, it hides itself in a protected directory, "c:\Program Files\WindowsApps". The VLN install goes to 4 subdirectories with long names, one of which contains the executable file: "VideoLAN.VLC_3.2.1.0_x64__paz6r1rewnh0a\VLC.Universal.exe".

Fine. That only took an hour to figure out. <sigh> BTW, VLC runs fine, and is version 3.2.1.0.

I make the directory C:\ProgramData\aacs and place KEYDB.cfg in it. (Instructions don't say make the directory, but there wasn't one.)

Now I'm stuck. I don't know whether this is a 64 bit file, as the "x64" part of the long-a** directory name would indicate, or a 32-bit file, as VLC.Universal.exe would indicate. Besides that detail, I can't add anything to the directory because it is protected, even from a dos promp shell with administrator privileges.

How do I continue? And do I want the 64-bit DLL or the 32-bit DLL?

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support, app store

Postby flummoxed » 23 Jun 2021 19:24

I make the directory C:\ProgramData\aacs and place KEYDB.cfg in it. (Instructions don't say make the directory, but there wasn't one.)

Now I'm stuck. I don't know whether this is a 64 bit file, as the "x64" part of the long-a** directory name would indicate, or a 32-bit file, as VLC.Universal.exe would indicate.
Neither. Keydb.cfg is a simple ASCII text file, you can view it in Notepad.

You might need to put a copy in C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Roaming\aacs\ as described in the post from TopShrop44 just above yours.

From the filename for the .exe, it sounds like you have a 64bit VLC install (which makes sense for a 64bit OS). If so then you will want the 64bit version of whatever DLLs are needed.

I do not have (nor want) any systems running any version of W10 and don't know how the app store installs work, so maybe someone else can help with that.

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby flummoxed » 26 Jun 2021 00:11

Seems these two posts got moved out of the thread they used to be in, which is a bit confusing now. So the post by TopShrop44 that used to be above what is now the first of this new thread is at https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p518162

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Jun 2021 10:59

I'm not even sure the Store version of VLC is still being developped. You'd better use the Desktop version of VLC for playing blu-rays.

Return to “​VLC for Windows Store​”