​VLC for Windows Store​ specific questions

This includes WinRT, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile and Xbox 1
Kristianl
New Cone
New Cone

SMB share does not work on xbox one

Postby Kristianl » 04 Aug 2019 16:03

Hi

I cant get VLC for xbox to discover my smb shares from my media server (win10 home) on xbox.
It works fine on vlc on my android phone and other pc but on the xbox it just says "your input could not be opened. VLC is unable to open the mrl...."

Mediashare, file share and so on has been actvated.

please help :(

Lonestar
New Cone
New Cone

Re: SMB share does not work on xbox one

Postby Lonestar » 09 Sep 2019 02:02

Any traction with this issue? I'm having the exact same problem. Sharing videos from my Windows 10 computer. VLC for Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick can browse and play files perfectly fine. VLC for XBox says "your input could not be opened. VLC is unable to open the mrl smb://...." I know for a while the FireTV apps were broken when MS killed SMBv1, and the VLC v3 update fixed it. Has the XBox app not been updated to support SMBv2 or v3? Or is there another issue?

hit440
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hit440 » 10 Sep 2019 04:57

do you have anonymous login enabled on your share?

Lonestar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lonestar » 14 Sep 2019 03:46

do you have anonymous login enabled on your share?
Yes. And as I mentioned above, VLC for my FireTV box and FireTV stick can both access and play the shared files perfectly fine.

Lonestar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lonestar » 07 Oct 2019 12:36

Okay so I don't know what it is about my setup, but apparently it's something about communication between the Xbox and this one instance of Windows that is not working. On top of Windows I am running the same version of Windows 10 in a virtual machine with the exact same anonymous share settings, but this time VLC on the Xbox can see it and browse it. I also run Ubuntu Linux in a virtual machine, again on top of the same Windows machine, and installed samba and VLC on Xbox sees it too. So I don't know what it is about the configuration on my physical machine - because again VLC for my FireTV box and stick both read it perfectly fine - but it does work with the SMB shares from my virtual machines.

Return to “​VLC for Windows Store​”