Thanks a TON for 3.0 on Windows phone!

​VLC for Windows Store​ specific questions

This includes WinRT, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile and Xbox 1
Dagthor
New Cone
New Cone

Thanks a TON for 3.0 on Windows phone!

Postby Dagthor » 10 Feb 2018 12:03

I would like to wholeheartedly thank the VLC team for bringing version 3.0.0.0 to the windows phone platform.
I imagine it must be very difficult to support something that the manufacturer has abandoned, but believe me
that us, the users, are most grateful for your work! As soon as i am done with this post you have a donation
coming your way.

After ages and ages i finally have a video player on my phone that plays files from my samba share, which is
super nice to have. I played MKVs from that share, 1080p with multiple audio and subtitle tracks - it worked perfectly!
Oh, and VLC is the only media player that can currently do that on windows phone.

The audio media library also looks good, interface is clean and intuitive, artist/album metadata got downloaded
automatically for all of my music - really nice!
I did encounter a problem with audio playback though, at least with FLACs: when reaching the end of a song in an
album the application closes unexpectedly. Is there somewhere where i can report this, maybe a bug tracker or so?

Once again thank you all for what was an unexpected treat! If you can fix the audio playback crash i will be able to
use VLC as the only media player for everything on my phone: local, remote and streamed content (internet radio).

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Re: Thanks a TON for 3.0 on Windows phone!

Postby mfkl » 10 Feb 2018 14:13

Hi Dagthor,

Thank you for the kind words.

Could you share your FLAC album (or its references) so I can have a look please?
https://mfkl.github.io

Dagthor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dagthor » 10 Feb 2018 15:12

Hello mfkl

Certainly can share some. By the way i just tried it and the same file(s) crash the store app on the desktop too (win10 Pro).
There are also some files that play, but induce a hick up (gap) when transitioning to the next one, both on phone and computer.

So i can share a file that makes the app close, and a couple more that cause a gap when transitioning, if you just let me
know how to share. All 3 files together make a .zip file of 32mb.

EDIT Will send you a link via pm.

UPDATE The crash happens only when one is in the now playing view, where you see progress bar, previous, next, pause
buttons etc. If one listens while staying in the album view (previous window), the app will not crash at song end but will have
a gap instead and move to the next song. On phone too, but there you hear more gaps than one towards the end of the song.
I hope this helps a bit.

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Postby mfkl » 12 Feb 2018 14:21

Ok I noticed the gaps toward the end, probably has to do with the file. Will make sure

However, I managed to make it crash only once (and without the debugger attached) out of 20 tries... not easy to reproduce from my end.
How often does that crash for you? Everytime or rarely?
when reaching the end of a song in an album the application closes unexpectedly
How many songs are in the playlist? Is it at the end of the album only?

Dagthor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dagthor » 15 Feb 2018 21:02

Hi again. There are 12 songs in the playlist when this happens, the ones from the same album. The song i sent you is the very first
one, but the next ones crash too.

I played with it a little longer and indeed there were some cases when it transitioned properly without crashing, several songs in
a row so it's definitely not permanent. After a few tries it started crashing again, and in my case i would say it does it above half
of the times, so it will more likely crash than not. I also tried several albums that play ok on other players and they behave the same.

I will send you another link with the whole album, maybe it helps you better reproduce it.

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Postby mfkl » 19 Feb 2018 03:27

Thanks, I manage to reproduce it properly with the album. Looking into it.

Return to “​VLC for Windows Store​”