Favourites on List of Network Locations

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Favourites on List of Network Locations

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 00:29

Looks like the latest update has broken being able to use network locations on Apple TVoS as I write this (I'm sure they'll fix it soon), but one additional irritating feature that tipped me off to the fact that there had been an update was the addition of a heart-shaped Favourites icon under the right end of the tab menu that gets in the way when you flick down to your list of network locations. Like most people I'd imagine, I only use one in the NAS to store all my content, and that's the UPNP entry for my primary Synology NAS, so having this icon in the way creates more clicks for me to get to the icon i want, which is the opposite to what's no doubt intended.

Let's ignore the fact that I can't currently access any network locations anyway, and look at the Favourites icon. Does it have to be in the way? Couldn't it just be to the left or right of the menu tabs, or as another tab? If you really want to choose a favourite, a tiny icon in a non-standard place isn't very visible, although as it leaves you with no alternative but to click through it and then make your way back through the list of other SMB locations, it certainly makes you aware of its presence. I already have an unpleasant name for it, and can't be the only one? previously, a quick down-arrow and the cursor would alight on my preferred icon (the one after generic network), and I'd click and go look at my files to choose something to watch. Now I have to down-arrow twice, then go back left through four SMB entries created by my two NASes, both of which have two IP addresses, one of which is a backup so is never used. It doesn't sound like much, but it's frustrating.

It wasn't broken, and fixing it broke it and introduced irritation and extra steps to this user.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Favourites on List of Network Locations

Postby fkuehne » 28 Feb 2024 22:14

Just a follow-up: we are working on an improvement for this issue but it didn't make it to the 3.5.4 release that will come tonight. The fix will come next week. You can see the progress here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... uests/1226
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”