Version 3.4.8 for TVOS

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Version 3.4.8 for TVOS

Postby gray » 22 Aug 2023 19:03

VLC was automatically updated to version 3.4.8 a few of days ago and I am finding a variety of glitches.

1. It has started to randomly repeat tracks from within a folder again.

2. After playing all 8 tracks in a folder, it automatically replayed all 8 tracks again - not the same as in 1. above.

3. On another day, after playing all 10 tracks in a folder, VLC closed down.

4. VLC froze when scanning folders on my NAS.

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Version 3.4.8 for TVOS

Postby gray » 02 Sep 2023 10:50

The issues with VLC for TVOS have not been resolved for several months now. But version 3.4.8 is impossible to use any longer as it persistently crashes after playing a song - sometimes after the first song, sometimes after the second or third. It simply does not get further than that before VLC closes down and I am returned to the Apple TV menu. The only thing I can report is that it always occurs after playing a complete song, it does not crash part way through a song.

I can see from this forum that I appear to be the only person reporting this issue. Does that mean that the issue is specific to my set up ? If so, what part of my system should I be looking at for a solution ?

hueyduey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hueyduey » 05 Sep 2023 16:49

My issue is similar when using the loop feature. I'm just looping a single file though. I checked logs and what you're seeing is correct, VLC ends after a file randomly when it should go to the next then quits to app screen. When it stops it happens at random, sometimes it's happy for 2hrs sometimes it'll stop after 10 mins.

I tried different files, re-encoding them, for video formats I've used .mp4 .mkv. Shortened file names and using folders instead of files. Can't narrow it down to what actually works.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 08 Sep 2023 15:14

Are the glitches gone with 3.4.9 released today?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 10 Sep 2023 09:17

I have only used it once since the upgrade to 3.4.9 and there were no crashes. Playing a folder with 11 songs, song number 8 was repeated once before moving onto the next song. No other issues so far.

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 10 Sep 2023 10:48

I just used VLC for TVOS again and after playing 5 songs it completely froze the Apple TV, I had to disconnect the power and re-connect to restart the ATV after that it played 10 songs without further issue.

hueyduey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hueyduey » 15 Sep 2023 16:37

Are the glitches gone with 3.4.9 released today?
Thanks fkuehne for attempting to address this bug, hopefully I can provide you with some info to help resolve this one. I did some testing with the 3.4.9 version. While it doesn't close to app screen like the previous version, the video will freeze and the VLC is unresponsive, but you can double tap the AppleTV button and force close. From the logs it appears after Buffering the processes that follow are different. Here's 2 examples:

Code: Select all

DBG] Buffering 95% [DBG] Stream buffering done (1000 ms in 4 ms) [INF] vt cvpx chroma: 420v [DBG] trying to reuse free vout [DBG] removing module "freetype" [DBG] looking for text renderer module matching "freetype": 2 candidates [DBG] using text renderer module "freetype" [DBG] reusing provided vout [DBG] Received first picture [DBG] VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1920x1080 [INF] Raising max DPB to 3 [DBG] Decoder wait done in 42 ms [WARN] find KaxCues FIXME [DBG] MKV/Ebml Parser: m_el[mi_level] == NULL [WARN] EOF [WARN] cannot get block EOF? [DBG] EOF reached [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] waiting decoder fifos to empty [DBG] killing decoder fourcc `h264' [DBG] removing module "videotoolbox" [DBG] saving a free vout [DBG] reusing provided vout [DBG] removing module "mkv" [DBG] Program doesn't contain anymore ES [DBG] Stopping the UI Hook [DBG] removing module "record" [DBG] removing module "cache_read" [DBG] removing module "filesystem" [DBG] Creating an input for 'cov.mkv' [DBG] reusing audio output [DBG] keeping audio output [DBG] using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB [DBG] using default timeshift path

Code: Select all

[DBG] Buffering 95% [DBG] Stream buffering done (1000 ms in 4 ms) [INF] vt cvpx chroma: 420v [DBG] trying to reuse free vout [DBG] removing module "freetype" [DBG] looking for text renderer module matching "freetype": 2 candidates [DBG] using text renderer module "freetype" [DBG] reusing provided vout [DBG] Received first picture [DBG] VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1920x1080 [INF] Raising max DPB to 3 [DBG] Decoder wait done in 43 ms [DBG] killing decoder fourcc `h264' [DBG] removing module "videotoolbox" [DBG] saving a free vout [DBG] reusing provided vout [DBG] removing module "mkv" [DBG] Program doesn't contain anymore ES [DBG] Stopping the UI Hook [DBG] removing module "record" [DBG] removing module "cache_read" [DBG] removing module "filesystem" [DBG] removing module "audiounit_ios" [DBG] destroying useless vout [DBG] removing module "ios" [DBG] deleting display [DBG] removing module "glconv_cvpx" [DBG] removing module "freetype" [DBG] removing module "yuvp" [DBG] removing module "swscale"

afunz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby afunz » 29 Sep 2023 16:45

My issue is similar when using the loop feature. I'm just looping a single file though. I checked logs and what you're seeing is correct, VLC ends after a file randomly when it should go to the next then quits to app screen. When it stops it happens at random, sometimes it's happy for 2hrs sometimes it'll stop after 10 mins.

I tried different files, re-encoding them, for video formats I've used .mp4 .mkv. Shortened file names and using folders instead of files. Can't narrow it down to what actually works.
I'm having the exact same issue - it's on a donor recognition system at a Hospital and I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot. Is this expected to be fixed in the future?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”