External subtitles over SMB

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
BetaOrionis

External subtitles over SMB

Postby BetaOrionis » 08 May 2021 03:29

Now using iOS 14.5.1, with VLC 3.2.13.

For a long while, I remember not being able to use external subtitles when reading files on my NAS via a SMB share. The workaround was to download the files locally, but considering I store everything on my NAS it's pretty inconvenient. Sometime around last year, things were working fine, though I don’t remember the exact combination of and VLC versions. Now the current status on my side is basically :

* Subtitles embedded in an MKV file work fine, whether the file is local or in a network share
* External subtitles and video on local storage work as well
* External subtitles and video over SMB don't work

I can confirm that subtitles over SMB work fine on VLC for Android at least (tested from a FireTV).
Is it a limitation specific to iOS ? Or is it a bug and should I fill a proper report ?

BetaOrionis

Re: External subtitles over SMB

Postby BetaOrionis » 12 May 2021 04:18

Ok, I may have it cornered. It seems that on my iphone, it only works when I have the « automatically play next item » enabled. When files are local it doesn’t matter, but over smb it seems necessary to have it on. Could anybody check if it behaves the same way on their device ?

hadess
New Cone
New Cone

Re: External subtitles over SMB

Postby hadess » 26 Jan 2022 19:23

Hey,

I ran into the exact same problem on my Apple TV after I had purposefully disabled the "automatically play next item" checkbox in the settings. Re-enabling it fixed the problem.
Would be great to know if there's a better place to report this.

Cheers

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”