Can't Connect to External HD "SMBv1 Authentication Required"

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
jaredkent
New Cone
New Cone

Can't Connect to External HD "SMBv1 Authentication Required"

Postby jaredkent » 01 Dec 2019 23:35

Hello, I recently downloaded VLC on my iPhone (X 13.2.3) and it's running VLC for Mobile 3.2.4

I am currently trying to pull videos from my iMac (macOS 10.15.1). I connect to my iMac's SMB Server and can find a few shared folders, public folders, and my external HDs. I can open the folders that are on my computer and can play files in those folders, but when I try to open my external HD, or shared folder within that HD, I get a message saying "SMBv1 authentication required: The computer you are trying to connect to requires authentication. Please provide a username and a password." Now when I plug in the same username and password I used to connect to the server, the pop up closes and immediately reopens not allowing me to see or access the files within that folder.

Is there a work around to this? Something I'm doing wrong? Testing this on my iPhone, but would ultimately like to get VLC streaming setup on an Apple TV as well.

vons
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Can't Connect to External HD "SMBv1 Authentication Required"

Postby vons » 29 Dec 2019 16:01

I'm sorry this isn't a solution: i have exactly the same issue but ONLY trying to access a mac oxs catailina (oxs 10.15.x ) box.

When using ios version of VLC can access a pre mac osx 10.15 mac without issue.

have tried turning on/off the extra "options" in file sharing for smb on mac next to account name that has always been required for this kind of ios to mac vlc local network sharing.
nothing.

so perhaps this is something that's changed around SMB for catalina?

hope for a solution soon.
searching just for "SMBv1 Authentication Required" - seems to be rather hated in the network admin space?

vons

vons
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vons » 29 Dec 2019 18:16

for what it's worth - just learned of and tried the SMB function in Files app of Ios iPad - weirdly could log into the mac of choice but some folders inextricably would not open - saying required authentication. but no authentication works. And yes this includes the same folder i've used for streaming content to VLC.

So perhaps some SMB weirdness in apple? can't see anything in the permissions for these "authentication required" folders. Folder 1 with seemingly same permissions as Folder 2 - Folder 1 will open, folder 2 - the typical VLC folder - does not.

hmm

smfkal
New Cone
New Cone

Postby smfkal » 02 Jan 2020 05:37

I'm having the same problem but I have a PC and an Android phone.

When being asked authentication, it's login and password of my computer, right?

ghost123uk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ghost123uk » 31 Mar 2020 14:47

Just popped in here to say that I have the same problem.

Rory
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rory » 02 Apr 2020 14:38

Same problem. Trying to connect my AppleTV to my OSX machine.

monevmils
New Cone
New Cone

Postby monevmils » 05 Apr 2020 12:26

I had the same problem, but solved it by the method at the following site. This issue is due to an enhanced privacy protection from macOS 10.15 Catalina. The direct cause is that the macOS SMB service does not have permission to access the removable disk.

http://tkoshimizu.com/catalina-file-sharing-problem/

Disable and re-enable file sharing once and make sure that the "smbd" SMB service has full disk access rights on the "Privacy"> "Files and Folders" page of the settings.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 20 Jun 2020 00:03

Having the same issue on my Android tablet VLC V3.2.12 Android 10 connecting to a QNAP NAS device.

Was working fine but wanted to disable guest mode on my media files. When I have it disabled, I get the same error: "SMBv1 Authentication Required" with a prompt for user & password. A valid user/password will NOT work, I've tried the admin user & password and a user with access to the shared. It was working fine until I disabled guest access, and works fine again if I re-enable guest access.

Rundgy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rundgy » 22 Mar 2021 07:43

My connection to my My Cloud was working then stopped suddenly with this error. Is there a fix?

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 19 Apr 2021 20:04

I had the same problem trying to connect VLC on my Apple TV4 to my Mac Mini, I did not have the same issue connecting VLC on the ATV to my MacBook Pro, so I thought there had to be a difference in the setups of the 2 computers. I found that on the Mac Mini under System Preferences>Sharing I had Remote Management 'On' and that was causing a remote connection to try to login using ssh. This gives the message "SMBv1 authentication required" and requires a DOMAIN;username structure for the username of the format "ssh [username]@[IP address];[username]". This format for the username works, but every time I selected a drive or a folder or a subfolder or a file I had to type in the DOMAIN;username and password again and again. So, I switched off Remote Management and can now connect my ATV to the Mac Mini with my usual username and password.

I hope this helps.

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 03 Jul 2021 19:10

Since my last post with what appeared to be a fix by switching off Remote Management, I have found for the past 2 weeks that this 'solution' no longer works. Nothing I can set in my Mac Mini's system preferences for sharing works now.

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 04 Jul 2021 08:44

After further trial and error I have both the Apple TV 4K and iPhone 12 mini connecting properly to the external Drobo DAS on my Mac mini running Mojave. All I did was delete the external drive from the list of shared folders.

gray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gray » 04 Jul 2021 18:02

One other issue I just discovered. I need to have Remote Management turned off on my Mac Mini in order to connect the Apple TV and iPhone, but after logging in with either of them, Remote Management is turned back on and I cannot connect from those devices the next time until I manually switch RM off again. Does anybody know why RM keeps getting turned on and how I can prevent it ?

jennachaplin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jennachaplin » 04 Oct 2021 15:21

Hi Everyone. I have solved the problem and I hope that this solution works for you too.
I am using a MacBook Air on Big Sur 11.6 and have an iPhone 12 on 15.0.1
I have the latest version of VLC for Mobile from the App Store.
How to connect over Network when SMBv1 Authentication is required:

Open System Preferences / Sharing and ensure File Sharing is checked.
Click on Options and select the user account. Enter your login password when prompted.
Add the folders you want to share using the + sign.
In the VLC app on the iPhone, you may need to manually add the smb://ip.address from the Sharing panel. I'm not sure if you really need to do this because my MacBook was automatically discovered but I did it during the troubleshooting process so I'm including it here in case it won't work without doing it.
Select Network. Select the device and select Connect.
When the SMBv1 Authentication panel opens, enter your username and password - exactly as you do when you log in to your device (I ignored the domain).
Now you should be able to see your shared folders.

I spent quite a lot of time on this but if you still can't get it to work, just do what I did before I solved the problem; connect your devices with a cable. From 2 Finder windows on my Mac I was able to drag entire music folders and drop them into VLC on the Files panel when selecting iPhone in Finder.

Best of luck to all.
Jenna.

ranki9636
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ranki9636 » 10 Oct 2021 12:11

This solved it for me - just had to disable and re-enable file sharing.
I had the same problem, but solved it by the method at the following site. This issue is due to an enhanced privacy protection from macOS 10.15 Catalina. The direct cause is that the macOS SMB service does not have permission to access the removable disk.

Disable and re-enable file sharing once and make sure that the "smbd" SMB service has full disk access rights on the "Privacy"> "Files and Folders" page of the settings.

idliu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby idliu » 28 Apr 2024 03:31

Thanks. It really works, I have fixed the problem.

Here's more tips for someone else who's confused by the "smbd" service.
If you can't find the "smbd" service on privacy protection, you could do this:

open Finder, click "go to folder", go to "/usr/sbin", find the "smbd" file and drag it to the full disk access rights list.

This solved it for me - just had to disable and re-enable file sharing.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”