Aliases vs file renaming

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
dissymmetry
New Cone
New Cone

Aliases vs file renaming

Postby dissymmetry » 07 Dec 2018 17:01

I noticed by using the new iOS Files app that renaming the files in VLC does no such thing, it just renames an alias of it. When downloading files from a URL where the URL changes, but the filename is the same, this is a problem as it completes the download but then dumps the file since one already exists with that name, even though it has been "renamed" in VLC.

astro2
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Aliases vs file renaming

Postby astro2 » 10 Dec 2018 09:05

Not trying to be a jerk and hijack the post but i hate making new posts unless i need to, but keeping relevant to the topic can we get more versatility to IOS VLC player? file renaming is just ONE option that android ALWAYS allows

Yes apple sucks and i only own the ipad pro because that's the biggest tablet you can get in australia right now, the samsung ones that are bigger aren't available here. Android is better because it acts EXACTLY like a pc, copy and paste ANY file type and its usable, no sync or conversion

I can use windows explorer or a file browsing app example ASTRO and make multiple folders and its all viewable on VLC android app

in this it just rams all the media files together, i know itunes likes to keep people on a leash but can you try and allow separate folders so crap isn't just mashed into one screen? and keeping it relevant to the topic allow for file renaming and movement of files and editing playlists? IOS is so horrid

update: i just found out you kind of can, but not as good as android, i would prefer ACTUAL plain folders when i move images/videos into but instead it merges a bunch of video thumbnails together to make a mess

bubu?
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS, iOS

Re: Aliases vs file renaming

Postby bubu? » 11 Dec 2018 12:02

Currently, if you want to rename the file itself you can do it through the Files app.

As for the organization, a big change is on its way with the re-design.

Let's try to keep the Android vs iOS part civil.
Soomin Lee - bubu

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”