Crashing since Version: 2.8.0 (280.5) update

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
jujube
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jujube » 06 Sep 2017 06:35

Videos play for a few seconds before crashing. I can't play any videos. Is there a fix on the way?

bubu?
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS, iOS

Re: Crashing since Version: 2.8.0 (280.5) update

Postby bubu? » 06 Sep 2017 12:05

Could you provide a more detailed description on how you have encountered this issue(local playback, network, ...)?
Soomin Lee - bubu

jujube
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jujube » 06 Sep 2017 13:09

Local playback. I see others have mentioned the problem in the reviews. It started happening immediately after the update. The videos play fine in other apps.

thecookiecrumbler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thecookiecrumbler » 06 Sep 2017 14:55

Experiencing similar issue after update to 2.8 on ipad. Videos that used to work, would simply crash the app. Appreciate if there is somehow a way to roll back to the previous version, which was working totally fine.

Keysersoze.ie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Keysersoze.ie » 06 Sep 2017 23:57

I'm getting a different error on iPhone since this update
VLC could not support the format jpeg

I get this no matter what the video type is MP4, Avi makes no different

Nothing will play now

Mohshehab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mohshehab » 07 Sep 2017 00:21

I have the same problem ... i used to play the videos with no issues and with the latest IOS update that was few days ago , it crashes every single time when i try to play any video , tried other apps to test the videos and they work fine there , but i hate using them becuase of the ads and the desgin ..
I wish i never updated the app ... I use it every single day .. i'm really lost now and I don't know when they are going to fix it .. is there any other way faster than the forums where we could catch their attention?

sremey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sremey » 07 Sep 2017 00:33

Crashing for me too since this update on an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 10.3.3. This is local playback of files that I have loaded into VLC over the web interface.

I could not find any crash reports either on device or on my PC after syncing with iTunes.

WORKAROUND : Turn off 'Hardware Decoding' in Settings. That stops the app crashing and videos play normally after that.

jujube
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jujube » 07 Sep 2017 01:06

Crashing for me too since this update on an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 10.3.3. This is local playback of files that I have loaded into VLC over the web interface.

I could not find any crash reports either on device or on my PC after syncing with iTunes.

WORKAROUND : Turn off 'Hardware Decoding' in Settings. That stops the app crashing and videos play normally after that.
Thank you! That worked for me. I hope turning it off doesn't create other issues. Hopefully VLC sends an update with a fix soon. Nice to be able to use it for now. Thanks again.

It's not me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby It's not me » 07 Sep 2017 05:40

I just updated on my iPad 3 and now when I tap the network tab it crashes! How can I undo the update? This was one of my favorite programs. :oops:

ae303hf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ae303hf » 07 Sep 2017 13:00

I just updated on my iPad 3 and now when I tap the network tab it crashes! How can I undo the update? This was one of my favorite programs. :oops:
+1 same here, iPad 3 updated to 2.8.0 and tapping on the Local Network tab makes the app crash immediately, 100% reproducible. This bug alone makes the app useless for me.

Zebedee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zebedee » 07 Sep 2017 13:22

I stream videos from a local NAS over ftp (with username and password). The new update has broken that too.

I can download a video (sometimes... this often provokes a crash as well mid-way through the download) and then play it ok, so it's not the video. But seems VLC is no longer capable of streaming it. Just get the playback window and no video appearing. Tried with both hardware decode enabled and disabled, don't see a difference here (iPhone 6).

Incredible that such a bugged App can get pushed onto the AppStore. Do the devs watch this forum? How can it get pulled and reverted to the previous version while these issues are resolved?

NaimK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NaimK » 07 Sep 2017 17:40

Unfortunately this is happening for me too since updating to VLC iOS 2.8.0. Whatever video I play (granted, I've only been playing mp4/mkv files since most of mine are that) I get the message 'VLC could not decode the format "jpeg" (JPEG)'

I'm running an iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.2 and I'm streaming off a DLNA server on my WiFi, running off Serviio from my desktop. The DLNA server can stream to my Sony Bluray player without an issue (same as it did before the VLC iOS update). The main difference on the Serviio side is that the bluray player uses a specific renderer profile, but my iPhone just uses the Generic DLNA profile.

Before I realized that this might be a VLC iOS bug, I did the standard stuff server side like turning it off and on again, and removing all folders from the library and re-adding them.

The codec data for one file that I've been using as a test (on both VLC iOS and my bluray player) as reported by the desktop version of VLC 2.2.6 is:

Code: Select all

Stream 0 Type: Video Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) Resolution: 1280x738 Display resolution: 1280x720 Frame rate: 23.976215 Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV Stream 1 Type: Audio Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 ) Channels: 3F2R/LFE Sample rate: 48000 Hz Bitrate: 448 kb/s
... and as soon as I saw "AC3" and "a52", it made me wonder if this is anything to do with the general support for AC3 audio (and resulting Dolby issues)? Or is that all resolved now, with this being something new?

Is the cause of this known? Is there any more information I can get either from the file on PC, or from running on iOS that would help?

0d0a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 0d0a » 07 Sep 2017 23:16

Happend to me too on an ipad2 ... Please repair or make previous version available please ...

jujube
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jujube » 08 Sep 2017 02:12

There are several negative reviews in the app store announcing the issue. I'm surprised they haven't sent an update with a fix yet. The problem is they have no report button or link to go to. I finally found a (obscure) place to send a "ticket" but you have to sign in and it wouldn't accept my login details. So maybe it's disabled. I finally found my way here to report it. Seems like they can't be bothered with an problems arising. At the very least they could post here to let everyone know they are working on it. We have no way of knowing if they are even aware of the issue.

It's not me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby It's not me » 08 Sep 2017 05:33

It seems that the new network software routine is not compatible with with iOS 9 or earlier. Man, this is a disaster for VLC.

jujube
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jujube » 08 Sep 2017 05:57

There is a way to put the old app back on your device. iOS doesn't automatically update the apps in iTunes anymore so unless you have done so manually, the old app will still be on your computer.

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL CONTENT IN YOUR APP. You have to delete the app before you can put the older version back on. The older version will not automatically override the new version and the new version will remain until you delete it then put the older one back on. So save any content you have in the app, and yes, you'll have to go through the hassle of putting it back on. (If you don't have the content on your computer already, you can drag the content from your device through iTunes to your computer before you delete the app. If you need help with this, I can put up another post with the procedure. It's not complicated.)

To put the older version of the app onto your device:

I'll type it out step by step so you can follow while you do it.
First, to check if the old app is still on your computer, open up iTunes. (Don't hook up your device to your computer yet.)

1. In the right hand panel, click on Library at the top (the three heading up top are Library, Updates, App Store). Make sure you are not in Updates which also shows apps.

2. In the left hand panel, under Library, click on Apps. You will see your apps show up in the right hand panel. Scroll down to VLC (mine says VLC for Mobile.

3. RIGHT click on the app, then from the menu that pops up click on Get Info (DO NOT click on Update App).

4. Click on Details if it isn't already there, and see which version it is. It should say 2.7.8 which is the older version. (If it says 2.8.0, then it's already been updated to the current version and you'll have to get the old version. More on that later.) Click OK to close window.

If it is the old version, proceed to the next step. If not, scroll down to see how to get the old file on your computer.

5. Hook up your device to your computer. In iTunes, in the left hand panel, click on your device (the little square at the top that looks like a phone).

6. Click on Apps, still in the left hand panel.

7. In the right hand panel you will see the apps in a little sidebar (the first set, not the second one below it). Scroll down to VLC.

8. Click Remove.

9. Now you have to sync your device for the effect to take place. At the bottom right of the page, click on Sync (it might say Apply). Wait for the device to sync.

10. Once synced, you have to get back to your Library to access the apps on your computer. Click on the back arrow (<) in the top left corner. You should back to the apps showing in the right hand panel. If not, click on Apps under Library. If is more than one device listed, click on the device proper device (you will see iPhone Apps, iPad Apps, etc, if you have more than one linked to iTunes).

11. Scroll down to VLC again and LEFT click on it and hold it to drag it to the left panel. Drag it to anywhere in the part that says Devices (not above it where it says Library). It may automatically sync (you'll see the progress bar at the top of the page), if not, click on Sync (or Apply) at the bottom right of the page.

Once it is synced the old app will be on your device. You will now have to add any content back on.

How to get older version of the app if the app on your computer (in iTunes) was already updated to the new version:

You will have to get the old app on to your computer first. One way is to surf the net looking for VLC 2.7.8 You'll probably find it somewhere to download. Another way is to ask a friend to copy theirs if they have one and email it to you. I found one download, they're still showing the 2.7.8 version. Click on the Direct Download button, not the App Store button, the App Store will have only the new version.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6106 ... r-ios.html

Once you have the older version downloaded, you have to put it in the right spot on your computer. In Windows 7, the apps are in this folder: (Substitute "Computer Name" for your own computer name, often just your name.)

C:/Users/Computer Name/My Music/iTunes/iTunesMedia/Mobile Applications/

To get there, go to Start (little globe in bottom left corner of your computer), Computer, (C:), sometimes it says Local Disk (C:), Users, Computer Name, My Music, iTunes Media, Mobile Applications.

Put the file (VLC 2.7.8.ipa) you downloaded or got from a friend (this is also where your friend can find his file) into this folder (Mobile Applications). Make sure you delete any other VLC versions in that folder.

Now you can hook up your device and follow from Step 1 above, checking to make sure it's the old version (2.7.8 ).
Note: After Step 3 when you RIGHT click on the app, it will try to "locate" the new file on your computer. If a window pops up, click on Locate and go to the Mobile Applications folder (following the same path as before when you put the file in there - C:/Users/Computer Name/My Music/iTunes/iTunesMedia/Mobile Applications/ - and click on the new file (VLC 2.7.8.ipa) and click Open. Now you'll see the new version of the file pop up. Click OK and proceed to Step 5 above.

cichy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cichy » 08 Sep 2017 12:17

Hello
I have the same issue as Keysersoze.ie and NaimK on both Iphone and Ipad with files that worked before.

Code: Select all

VLC could not decode the format "jpeg" (JPEG)
Using Serviio Streaing Server (DLNA)
Last edited by cichy on 09 Sep 2017 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

infamous_pb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby infamous_pb » 08 Sep 2017 15:50

I too am having an issue playing any video since the update. I used to be able to go to Local Network and select my Universal Plug'n'Play UPnP media server. I see all the videos listed, but when I click on them, none of them play. They all used to play before the update.

However, instead of selecting UPnP, if I select File Server (SMB), I can play them that way.

Weird.

I hope they fix this.

Peter Hickman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peter Hickman » 08 Sep 2017 23:02

Since the new version was installed all my MKV files instantly crash the app. I even reloaded files I watched before the update which used to work and they have crashed too.

Also when deleting a file the text is now DELETE_TITLE, DELETE_MESSAGE

Also disabling hardware decoding does nothing.

ae303hf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ae303hf » 09 Sep 2017 19:55

There seems to be something going on, Felix himself tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/feepk/status/906545584760385536

Mohshehab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mohshehab » 09 Sep 2017 20:21

There seems to be something going on, Felix himself tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/feepk/status/906545584760385536
i hope it doesn't take them long time .. I'm lost lost and I can't find a good alternative:(

Mohshehab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mohshehab » 10 Sep 2017 02:29

Guys ,finally they released another update .. try it

Mohshehab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mohshehab » 10 Sep 2017 02:30

Giys , they finally released another update .. go download it