Can't move videos into folders

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
gb57
New Cone
New Cone

Can't move videos into folders

Postby gb57 » 12 May 2016 08:20

Am unable to move videos into folders as per instructions. Click 'Edit' - ok, 'Select video' - ok, 'Tap on folder button' - ok. Folder is then displayed, tap on it - nothing happens. Returns to 'All Files' screen without moving anything.
Am I missing a step?? iPad iOS 9.3.1, VLC version 2.7.7.
Thanks

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't move videos into folders

Postby Nephele » 12 May 2016 08:26

You move videos via wifi or USB cable? Launch iTunes, then select your iPad under "Devices" on the left side of the window. Click the "Apps" tab, then navigate to the "File Sharing" section by scrolling to the bottom of the window. Click "VLC" in the "Apps" section on the left side of the page. The list of current media files for the VLC player automatically appears on the right side of the page under "VLC Documents.". Click the "Add" button at the bottom of the "VLC Documents" box. The "Choose a File" window opens. Navigate to the video you want to add to VLC, then click the "Choose" button. The video is automatically added to the VLC player on your iPad. Click the "Add" button again to add more videos.

hancat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hancat » 20 Jun 2016 04:22

I've got the same problem as gb57.

Exact same use case on a couple of different iOS devices

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 13 Jul 2016 11:27

This is a weird thing - we will investigate this further. It definitely works on iPhone - unexpected that it fails on iPad.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Jonniew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jonniew » 02 Oct 2016 10:55

Has there been any further developments on this as I am experiencing the same issue on iPad.

Jonnie

sasilk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sasilk » 17 Oct 2016 06:04

I've discovered that Move to Folder only works in List view, not in Thumbnail. Unfortunately Thumbnail is the default, so it doesn't work for most people at first.

drold
New Cone
New Cone

Postby drold » 28 Oct 2016 20:50

I cant move files out of folders and into other folders on iphone. Why do ALL software companies put out such faulty software? When I make something it works. There isn't missing options or options that don't work or options that should be there for common sense functions. I think programmers all go to the the same HORRIBLE school. I can't believe you all put out such JUNK THAT NEVER WORKS!!!!

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 23 Mar 2017 10:26

Which video format you try to load into iPad via VLC player?

Nolan2k3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nolan2k3 » 01 May 2017 12:20

Hello everybody,

i´ve used Google for this problem and i´m happy, that i find this solution.
It´s right, that you can only move files to folders if the "Detailsview" is on, so i can confirm that.
A other way is, that you will upload all files, select them und create a new folder. This works in list-view also in the thumbnail-view, but only with the selected files.
If you will ad files later, moving is only possible in the list-view.

Greetz, Nolan

also in german:
Ich habe lange bei Google gesucht und bin froh diese Lösung gefunden zu haben.
Es ist richtig, dass man Dateien nur in Ordner verschieben kann, wenn man die Listenansicht aktiviert hat, somit kann ich das bestätigen.
Ein anderer Weg wäre, alles Dateien per W-Lan hochzuladen, diese auszwählen und dann einen Ordner zu erstellen. Dies funktioniert sowohl im Listenansicht als auch im Thumbnailansicht.
Später hinzügefügt Dateien zu verschieben ist nur in er Listenansicht möglich.

Viele Grüße, Nolan

SlamDog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SlamDog » 22 Aug 2017 06:49

I checked the actual instructions to do this and it seems to work as advertised. First go to edit, then select the file(s) you want to move, next click the file icon at the bottom Note: this icon is normally for creating a new folder but as long as files are selected to be moved it will allow the last step which is to select the folder you want to move the files to. Once the folder is selected the number of files will be updated to include the recently moved files. 8)

The janitor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby The janitor » 05 Nov 2017 03:21

IOS 11.3 VLC 2.8.4 iPhone 8. I can assure you that the issue of not being able to move files from one folder to another HAS NOT been resolved. As previously: select edit - select one or all files - select folder icon - select folder. "All files" display returns, and nothing has changed... Help?

Bake97
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bake97 » 04 Dec 2017 19:13

Having had a real desire to solve this problem once and for all and not seeing a solution to REALLY make it work, I went through these steps:
1) I deleted all the videos and folders
2) I re- imported the videos (I used the wifi import, much easier)
3) I created a new folder to contain the videos I wanted to auto-play in sequence
4) I selected ALL THE VIDEOS and they automatically went into the folder
5) The sequence I wanted was REVERSED (grr) but by selecting each video and kind of dragging them downward a little bit, I was able to move them into position.
7) I resolved to stick (largely) with Android devices from now on. 8)

Wusels
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wusels » 23 Jan 2018 10:47

Same here. I cannot move any files in folders. Neither list view nor thumbnail view.
When I’m downloading episodes from my nas, it’s creating an automated folder but I’m not able to move files from there into another folder or put files in this automatically created folder.

I’m using an iPad with iOS 11.2.2.

Will this be fixed with an update? Any news on that?

Carola
Developer
Developer

Postby Carola » 26 Jan 2018 12:22

@Wusels you should be able to do so by pressing Edit, pressing the folder button and then selecting the folder that you want to move the file into.
If this is not working could you send me details steps to reproduce so that we can fix this issue ?

nbriant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nbriant » 31 Jan 2018 11:28

Hi all,
Also experiencing this on my iphone 7. I've deleted all my files/VLC, re-downloaded app and re-transferred files, and still not working. Highly possible I just don't understand how to use the app.

Detailed step --
1. Using "Sharing via Wifi" option, transfer files from Mac to VLC mobile app on Iphone 7. VLC mobile app automatically creates folder for that TV series in app. Let's call it "Original Folder."
2. Click edit and then "Folder" button. Prompt pops up requesting name for new folder. I create a new folder name ("New Folder").
3. Click on Original Folder to see existing files.
4. Click on "Edit" and select files to move.
5. Click on the "Folder button" and "New Folder" appears. Select "New Folder". As soon as I click New Folder, "All Files" display returns and nothing has changed.

Seems the same as what The Janitor said back in November 2017. Any suggestions?

ktx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ktx » 19 Feb 2018 21:42

I'm on an iPad Pro, iOS 11.2.5 and trying to organize files into folders is not working. I followed the instructions, even changed to list view before attempting it, but it doesn't really work. Some files will obediently go into the folder that I select, but some won't. They just stubbornly sit there. I had already created a folder name, and I selected two videos to put in it. One went, the other remained where it was. So I tried with that one again, going to Edit > Select, then clicking on the folder icon after selecting the video I wanted to move, but the only option I was given is to create a new folder. It won't let me move this video into the existing folder. Tried several times with the same result.

So I sent that folder to the trash and decided to select the two videos first, and then create a new folder to put them in. Same result, but I had to click the folder icon twice to even get it to let me create a new folder instead of selecting an existing one.

Tried it a third time, but now I'm not even given the option to create a new folder :(

I give up.

BobbyNewmark
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BobbyNewmark » 09 Mar 2018 19:55

I have the same problem as everyone else, why has this feature been broken for a full year with no response from VLC? It's kind of ridiculous.. If you don't have enough staff to make the app work as intended then start charging for the app so you can hire more people.

This is pretty basic --please stay polite-- VideoLAN, get it together.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 10 Mar 2018 14:49

I would like to kindly remind you that VideoLAN is no company, but a non-profit organization. We have zero employees, just volunteers working on the projects in their free time. People are busy with lots of stuff, so you are very welcome to contribute by yourself if you want to have something fixed earlier.

Wusels
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wusels » 11 Mar 2018 19:36

@Wusels you should be able to do so by pressing Edit, pressing the folder button and then selecting the folder that you want to move the file into.
If this is not working could you send me details steps to reproduce so that we can fix this issue ?
Hey carola,

Thanks for your reply :-)

I think the problem changed a bit. Did you already updated it?

Now I have another problem.

Before, when i’ve Downloaded files from my network drive on my mobile device (iPad), the files were gathered in one folder automatically, and I couldn’t move them from there.

Now, the files are shown as individual files. Those files I can easily move into any folder as u have described.

But. Once the files are in a folder, I am not able to move them into another folder. When pressing edit, the folder-icon is grayed out. Furthermore I’m not able the files within a folder. So I cannot change the order of the files within a folder.

Hope that helps?

Cheers and thank you all for the great work!

Daniel

rogerph
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rogerph » 29 Mar 2018 23:38

I have an iPad Pro and discovered the following: after transferring videos to the iPad, the appear in the main screen. I created a folder and dragged each file into the folder. They were numbered properly, but I put them in the folder in a random order thinking the program would put them in the correct order. It didn’t, so using the edit button, I moved them back to the main screen (select ALL then push the move bottom (the curved arrow) at the bottom of the screen). Then I dragged each file back into the folder in the correct order. The files play in order and have stayed in order. rogerh

MajorHavoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MajorHavoc » 04 Apr 2018 08:23

So, this bug seems to be on my iPad as well (MacBook Pro: MacOS 10.12.6, iTunes 12.7.4.7, iPad Mini 4, 128 GB, running iOS 11.2.5 (15D60).
And the LIST trick makes no difference.
1. Using iTunes, I moved a bunch of videos onto the iPad to the app. On the App, I could see all the videos I moved. of the 28 moved, 24 went into a folder called "Untitled" (or something like that) and the other 4 sent into a folder of the video files, lets call it Phred.
2. I renamed the folder Untitled to "Phred Videos".
3. Now, I want to move the videos from the Phred folder to the Phred Videos folder. I go to Phred, I select the 4 files, I send them back to the "top" with the little arrow just fine.
4. I delete the Phred folder.
5. I press Edit, and select the 4 files I moved mack to the top.
6. I press the folder button and three previous folders show, but NOT Phred Videos. (It is there on the device, and has 24 files in it.) Can't move them this way.
7. I switch to list mode. No change, it still does not work. Phred Videos does not show up as a destination.
8. I also tried pressing and holding one of the four videos and dragging them onto the Phred Video folder:
a. In list mode, the "new" flag appears in the corner as I drag as expected, the video seems to drop into the folder, but it remains in the original list and does not move.
b. In Icon mode, if I drag the same way onto the Phred Video folder, a little circle with a line through it shows up where I expect to see the "new" flag, and the file refuses to drop. The circle only happens over this folder with 24 items in it. Is that a limit?
9. As an experiment I tried dropping it on other folders. No luck. I tried pressing and dragging the folder onto another folder. The graphics show the 24 files are going to be moved, but nothing happens.

Any ideas? This is annoying as I plan to put a lot of videos on my iPad for a vacation, and I would like to be able to sort them and file them correctly.

Thanks

MajorHavoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MajorHavoc » 04 Apr 2018 08:47

UPDATE: The bug seems to occur if any of the files have non alpha-numeric characters in them. For example, I would put the first 24 files all at one time into an empty folder. Each of those files has a "-" in its name. When I tried to add more files to the folder, no go. So perhaps this has to do with strange characters in the file names?

MajorHavoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MajorHavoc » 04 Apr 2018 08:55

Update 2: DON'T rename too many files at one time in iTunes. It totally screwed up and renamed other files with similar names. This is a strange bug. Now I have to delete everything, go find the originals, and transfer them again. SIGH

coinonebest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coinonebest » 02 May 2018 13:02

iOS 10.3 (iPhone)
VLC for iOS 3.0.3(305)

I'm using this for mainly as music player.

I have a set of certain musics. All files from various artists, albums. I upload files via wi-fi http page VLC app provides.
When VLC detects recent uploaded file has same album in existing file, it will group them in one like folder. Or at least some sort of via it's own combining method.
If that group appears, I cannot move that file to any folder I wish to put it in.

I was once successful by deleting one of two files of a combined folder like album and move remaining file to my desired folder and then upload deleted file again via wi-fi http method and quickly move the file to the folder before vlc groups them.

Last time when I tried that method did not work, since VLC was so quick to group files to existing album folder like thing. So just one music file is in desired folder and the other is just hanging in the album folder like entity which consisted by two music files that is definitely undesirable playlist. I cannot play that one song with my desired folder playlist.

Hope this helps. This is really frustrating indeed.

Queryx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Queryx » 12 May 2018 19:01

iOS 11.3.1
VLC iOS 3.0.3
MacBook 10.9.5

I have similar bug: while more than 80 files distributed in 10 folders, it is now impossible since 2 months to put new ones in them. More: if I extract a file from a folder and put it among other files (alone without any folder), il will be not possible to move it into any of my ten existing folder because the icon between "rename" and basket one had become grey, although that icon was enabled before.

What am I doing wrong ?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”