Moving files from VLC

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
moleskin
New Cone
New Cone

Moving files from VLC

Postby moleskin » 27 Oct 2014 03:26

One aspect of VLC seems needlessly missing. While it's easy to transfer files to VLC on the iPad from all kinds of other apps, or from Dropbox and similar, there doesn't seem to be any way to do it the other way. So for example, while I can transfer a downloaded YouTube clip from Download to VLC, or to other apps, or to Dropbox or Copy, and back again, I can't do it the other way fromVLC. VLC is a very good player, but space on a ipad is limited, and it would be conveniant to be able to use Dropbox etc in this way.

Or is there some way of doing it that I have missed?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Moving files from VLC

Postby fkuehne » 31 Oct 2014 22:11

We added support for that in the next version of VLC for iOS. It will also allow you to share your files via AirDrop to other devices.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

moleskin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby moleskin » 09 Dec 2014 02:01

Only just seen that reply - but I can't see how I can use Airdrop to move files from VLC to Dropbox or to anywhere. Will my VLC will have been automatically updated to give me the ability, or is it just that I'm just not savvy enough to understand how to do this? Is there maybe somewhere a guide to doing the necessary?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 12 Dec 2014 14:14

Your app will be updated automatically as long as you are using iOS 7 or later did not disable to the option to have updates installed automatically. Alternatively, you can open the "App Store" app and get the update manually.

However, this update is not out yet and therefore you didn't miss anything.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

moleskin
New Cone
New Cone

Moving files from VLC

Postby moleskin » 30 Jan 2015 07:02

I can't see any way to transfer files up to Dropbox yet. Has the update not been made yet? If not any idea when it will be?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 04 Feb 2015 10:29

No, we don't support uploading to Dropbox. However, version 2.4.0 adds the typical "open in" menu which allows you to open videos with the Dropbox app to upload from there.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 13 Feb 2015 05:36

Is the Airdrop file share available yet?

Blork
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Blork » 29 Apr 2015 15:20

Following up on this...

I have VLC for iOS 2.5.1 on both my iPhone and my iPad. I wanted to move some vids from the iPhone to the iPad and I saw that AirDrop was enabled. So I AirDropped a large video (about 400MB) from the iPhone to the iPad. All indications were that the AirDrop was successful. Except that I couldn't find the video on the iPad.

It's not in the VLC library. It's not in the "Videos" app library. It's not in the camera roll.

I tried it again with another video. Same thing happened.

I'm less concerned about an AirDrop FAIL as I am about the fact that I might have about a GB of hidden video files on my iPad. It's only a 16 GB iPad, so that's significant.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to where else to look, or what might be happening?

lechyu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lechyu » 04 May 2015 21:11

Hi, I have the same problem as Blork. Do you have a solution? How to send file via AirDrop between iPhone and iPad? Where are the missing files?

cried
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cried » 20 May 2015 13:48

Hi, I have the same problem. Any solution? AirDrop doesn't let keeping the movie.

Lechyu I believe there aren't missing files, they disappear when the AirDrop has finished the transfer.

oposum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oposum » 04 Jul 2016 16:59

It's a great option to let the VLC share files over airdrop. But not good, if they aren't saved in the other device :) I'm trying to send a 70mb video from my iPhone 6s (iOS 9.3.2, VLC 2.7.8) to an iPhone 5s (iOS 8.3, 2.7.8). The airdrop circle completes and it gives the sign, but video isn't stored anywhere. I've even checked in the settings --> usage section and the free MB's don't change.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”