fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

Postby fkuehne » 22 Aug 2013 14:01

Hello,

Yesterday, I took some time to write extensive documentation on VLC for iOS and its specialized user interface.

You can find the resulting document here: https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:IOS/

It should be mostly complete by now. If you have questions not answered by this article, please add your comments to the Discussions page or right here as an answer.

I hope you enjoy using VLC for iOS!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

Postby alex5723 » 23 Aug 2013 16:58

Thanks for the documentation.

bmbernie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bmbernie » 31 Aug 2013 01:54

In the documentation you state that one of the options for streaming media is:

Local Network
Introduced in VLC for iOS 2.2, Local Network discovers and lists servers found on your local network. At present, this includes UPNP media servers and FTP servers announced via Bonjour / Rendezvous. Further options will be made available in future releases. Depending on the server capability, you can both stream and/or download the stored contents.

I am on iPad 3 64Gig and i dont see this option anywhere in the VLC for iOS app. Please explain how we are supposed to use this feature. I downloaded the VLC for iOS app today so I know i am running the most current version. Thanks

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 31 Aug 2013 12:21

VLC for iOS 2.1 will be published next week including the Local Network support already mentioned in the documentation.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Kubismo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kubismo » 13 Dec 2013 07:06

Hi there, I'd like to connect to my DLink 323 NAS device which I set up as an FTP server with a static IP address. I see that FTP connection is an option in VLC, but nowhere is it explained how to connect to the FTP server from the VLC client. I'm not sure what to put in the "FTP://" line. Is there any instructions on this? When I search the web it's always using a different FTP client and never VLC. You have the instructions on how to set up the rest of the connection options - and was successful in getting the WIFI to transfer, but I'd like to use the FTP as well so I don't have to work with the computer. Thanks!

Kubismo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kubismo » 13 Dec 2013 07:25

I just successfully connected via google using ftp://Homserver (that is the name of the NAS) and it connected fine. When I type in the same into VLC I get the following error: "Error 0 occured Unknown Error". What could be causing that? thanks!

hirte_7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hirte_7 » 07 Mar 2014 10:35

Hello Felix,

thank you for the documentation. I went through it and I try to get streaming from a VLC for Mac towards VLC for iOS to work. For a new comer to this topic it is difficult to find out what parameters in VLC for iOS are required and which in VLC for Mac so that both devices are talking to each other.
Is there anywhere a documentation describing this setup (streaming from Mac VLC to iPad for example)? I searched for hours last night and gave up.
Thank you.
KM

Solved it... it is indeed very simple and works perfectly once I understood that VLC for iOS just requires its own address as parameter.

essenby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby essenby » 31 Jul 2014 14:58

Hi. That is a very useful and detailed set of documentation. Thank you for your efforts. I do have one query however.

Using the "Local Network" option I am able to connect to my Kingston MobileLite Wireless USB and SD card reader and browse the SD cards or USB devices connected to it. However, not all the files are displayed. Specifically )in my case) .FLV files do not appear in the listing and so cannot be viewed. If I connect to the Kingston device with Safari. or File Browser Pro for example. the files do appear.

Is this a limitation or an error?

Apologies for cross-posting, I had already raised this query in a separate post HERE. However, I fear I may not have explained it correctly so though that this conversation may be a better place to raise/obtain an answer.

Regards,

Barrie

geshd91
New Cone
New Cone

Postby geshd91 » 04 Mar 2015 05:09

Hi friends,

i am Android developer, just started to learn iOS and in process of developing RTMP streaming iOS app, i did download VLC 2.4.1 source code and compiled in Xcode and get errors, and i need good development tutorial and guide on hands on VLC source code, highly appreciate help. thanks alot

johnfitzuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnfitzuk » 06 Mar 2015 18:12

I have an iPad mini with the latest VLC player app. A few weeks ago I downloaded some wmv files from a website using the VLC app. I touched the link to the wmv file and left my finger on it until a box appeared with various options, one of which was, download using VLC player. I still have the videos in the app. Now when I try to do the same, I do not see the VLC option. Any ideas please?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Mar 2015 12:54

2.4.1 too?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

chaimbechor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chaimbechor » 18 Mar 2015 14:32

Limit on recording time: When trying to record incoming HLS stream it is packaged into .ts file just fine ... but stops automatically after about 1 minutes. Any idea how to extend this time

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 18 Mar 2015 18:45

How it this related to the topic of this thread?

AndresMendez
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AndresMendez » 30 Mar 2015 12:50

Hello,

I have VLC for IOS in my Iphone 6, My question is: Can I charge subtitles? If the answer is yes, How?

Schein_Toter

Postby Schein_Toter » 05 Apr 2015 21:15

Hello,

I have VLC for IOS in my Iphone 6, My question is: Can I charge subtitles? If the answer is yes, How?
VLC iOS not support external subtitle. Only VLC Android or other iOS players can this ;)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Apr 2015 01:38

Schein_Toter: like we told you already, VLC for IOS supports external subtitles very well since the beginning. Stop posting wrong information.

@AndresMendez: Just give your subtitles files the same name as the actual movie (except for the file extension of course) and VLC will pick it up and show the text.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

avcoolkarni
New Cone
New Cone

Postby avcoolkarni » 10 Apr 2015 18:48

Sub titles were really not working. And now i am not able to see content listings also from wifi network drive.

fredblogs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fredblogs » 29 Apr 2015 10:14

I have a few questions:
1) Is there any way to customize the gesture jump times? Currently it's 10 seconds back and 30 seconds forwards - I'd like to change these settings.
2) Feature request: two-finger swipes for longer jumps.
3) UPnP from Kodi seems to only work using the File menu option, and not the Video library (but this might be a Kodi issue). Also - subtitles don't seem to work through UPnP from Kodi.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 29 Apr 2015 12:07

1) this will be part of the next major update if all goes well.
2) Maybe in subsequent releases. Good point!
3) Yes, we don't support Kodi's UPnP extension for subtitles yet. For the video library, not sure. I'll test once I got my Kodi installation up and running again.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

csoulblender
New Cone
New Cone

Postby csoulblender » 29 Apr 2015 18:39

I have a wireless HD that use for my iphone 5s. How do I get vlc to recognize the device. I cannot figure it out. Nothing shows up in upnp. maybe my settings are messed up. This device I do not connect to computer unless transfer of files.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 29 Apr 2015 18:41

No idea, you should check with your wireless HD provider.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

DudeSwiftCocoa
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows, Mac OS, iOS

Postby DudeSwiftCocoa » 23 May 2015 17:30

Any news so far regarding AC3 codec ?

tberty
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tberty » 22 Jun 2015 16:02

Just download the app for iOS and hope it work well. How to custom the app ?

mark5513
New Cone
New Cone

Change the audio delay for usign with bluetooth permanently

Postby mark5513 » 30 Jun 2015 10:29

I use the actual IOS App on Iphone 6+ and a bluetooth headset. Because of the bluetooth, i set the audio delay on every movie to -0,30 s manually. This is very tricky, while the menu is very small and after every fingertipp the slider jump to another position. Is there any other way to change the audio delay (like the parameter on the PC Version) ? The best solution for me should be, if there is an .ini file, where i can change the delay for all movies. I looked in the VLC App Folder in the Iphone, but didn't found any place to change this value.
Thanks for any hint.

Verkackt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Verkackt
Operating System: Verkackt

Re: Change the audio delay for usign with bluetooth permanently

Postby Verkackt » 30 Jun 2015 11:09

I use the actual IOS App on Iphone 6+ and a bluetooth headset. Because of the bluetooth, i set the audio delay on every movie to -0,30 s manually. This is very tricky, while the menu is very small and after every fingertipp the slider jump to another position. Is there any other way to change the audio delay (like the parameter on the PC Version) ? The best solution for me should be, if there is an .ini file, where i can change the delay for all movies. I looked in the VLC App Folder in the Iphone, but didn't found any place to change this value.
Thanks for any hint.
Yes. So window as by sleep timer ;) https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/14612
Verkackt

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”