VLC for IOS: How to use

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
kakkalla
New Cone
New Cone

VLC for IOS: How to use

Postby kakkalla » 19 Jul 2013 02:38

Hi there.

I just downloaded the iPad version of VLC for iOS and am stuck.

I have video files on my PC's hard drive that I would like to play on my iPad using VLC. However, it seems that I cannot look for a source of files on my home network. I thought I would be able to find my hard drive in VLC, select the file and play it, much like Goodplayer works.

Another thing I don't understand is how to use the "Open Network Stream" button. How does this work?

Is there a manual for how to use this app on an IPad available that I can read or is it still too new for one to be available.

Thanks in advance.

Sid32
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for IOS: How to use

Postby Sid32 » 19 Jul 2013 13:43

Yep. I also uploaded files with the wifi upload and they don't appear. Tried different files in different browsers. Mp3, mkv, avi, etc.

tns
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tns » 19 Jul 2013 13:55

Since the topic is how to use VLC I'll post my question here too if that's okay.

I'm not sure how to transfer files from my computer (PC) to VLC in my phone, up until now I've used Movie Player for iOS (pretty good alternative while VLC wasn't avaliable for iOS) and in that app you can transer files via iTunes while syncing your phone with your computer. Is there a feature like this in VLC for iOS too or how do I do?

Rusco
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rusco » 19 Jul 2013 14:01

Exactly! what an amateur way to release an app hahaha.... i deleted it right away... will give it a near zero review, pathetic... to kakkalla, i am using PlayerXtreme and I can access files over my home network... NOW THAT is how you make a proper app!

Rusco
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rusco » 19 Jul 2013 14:09

Now if VideoLAN had spent more time creating a How-To section in their VLC for IOS instead of all the rubbish they have put in their 'About VLC for IOS' section in the app then it wouldn't be as big a disappointment!...

ritland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ritland » 19 Jul 2013 16:15

I can't seem to upload any audio/video files for VLC on my iPad as well. So far, I have tried the following:
  • 1. I linked VLC to my Dropbox account and it doesn't list any of the .wav files for download.
    2. I tried to use the "Open In" link in the Dropbox App, VLC opens up, confirms whether the file should be saved, but does not appear in the media library.
    3. Finally, I used the WiFi upload option and transferred the file from my computer through the web interface but the file still does not appear in the Media Library.
How can I transfer a file to the app?

kakkalla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kakkalla » 19 Jul 2013 16:24

So it's not just me! Phew.

Thanks Rusco. I use Goodplayer but I have since changed to Air Video on my iPad and the Air Video server running on the PC. It plays back a perfect picture and sound from mkv files in 1080p. The mkv files are generated by Makemkv.

I use VLC on a Mac Mini to playback my mkv files to my HD TV. So I was hoping that this iOS version of VLC would be capable of doing the same thing. I guess I was expecting too much. Sigh.

yairmarx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yairmarx » 19 Jul 2013 19:25

wifi upload feature works for me. i do notice that the wifi upload for some reason, the button reverts back to OFF, after i turn it on.

yodamuppet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yodamuppet » 20 Jul 2013 04:37

Chiming in with the same issues as OP. I can't seem to figure out any way to stream video files from my (Windows) laptop to VLC on my iPhone. I've been scouring VLC forums and FAQs for over an hour now.

Ruffa-Duffa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ruffa-Duffa » 20 Jul 2013 08:19

I agree that VLC for iOS should have a manual or guide or something. Network streaming is quite simple however I cannot get the audio to work. For an in-depth explanation of my experiences with that look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=112364&p=380745#p380745
If you want to see how I got as far as I did take a look at that and also this tutorial made by someone else:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrq_b_DVuec
As for uploading videos to the app the only method I've tried is going to the apps tab when I am syncing my iPad with my PC and adding videos to the VLC app and that worked fine for me.

Capt.Punchi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Capt.Punchi » 21 Jul 2013 02:43

I have problems for opening from another app, when select the option, nothing happens.
Also had some problems with the audio of an mp4 file, but after i select the option [time-streching audio] the problem was gone.
Apart from that i will like to know if the upload from wifi works in the background?

Goobie2012
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goobie2012 » 13 Jul 2014 02:40

I have somewhat the same problem as described by some on here, Since the update 2.3, I can nolonger delete the files I transfered from my PC via the wifi option.

Before the update all you did was go to the all files section, press and hold the thumbnail of the download that youve watched and want to delete, the screen would change a little, thumbnails would now have little circles in the top left part of it, touching the circle selects the file and once selected, pressing the trashcan icon bottom right of the screen would remove therefor ( as I understand ) delete the selected files. It certainly worked until just recently, now when applying the same actions the screen does change to the edit ( circles in top left corner ) screen but you cant select anything, if you watch closely, the thumbnails are jiggling really fast, repeated attemtps at hit the little circle result in one of 2 things, either the jiggle becomes slower and more obvious like what happens when you edit a iphone screen for instance or it prompts you to create another folder ( must think I wish to move it somewhere else or something )

I have logged a bug report and hope that something can be done about it quickly as I dont really want the itunes hassle, being the sole purpose of using the pc wifi to transfer files to the ipad air through vlc wifi server setup

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”