VLC can no longer connect to file servers, freezes and crashes instead

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
kevpac
New Cone
New Cone

VLC can no longer connect to file servers, freezes and crashes instead

Postby kevpac » 16 Feb 2024 14:10

My iPad is old (Air 2, iPadOS 15.8.1), but generally runs fine, including VLC until I got the update to 3.5 this morning. Now VLC is unusable because it completely freezes up shortly after I interact with it. The first thing I did was tap on the entry for my NAS in Network under File Servers (something I've done hundreds of times with no issue on previous versions of the app), and it immediately froze for several minutes and then crashed to springboard. The same happens with the other file servers on the list (e.g., my desktop PC with shared folders). I still have 3.4.9 on my iPhone and it doesn't have this problem.

VLC for iOS
Version: 3.5.0 (595)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: VLC can no longer connect to file servers, freezes and crashes instead

Postby fkuehne » 17 Feb 2024 09:52

Which protocol is used to connect to your NAS devices? SMB? Do you have the passwords stored in VLC?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

kevpac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kevpac » 19 Feb 2024 20:45

Under File Servers there is one UPNP entry, which I never use, followed by six entries for the NAS plus various desktops and laptops. These are all SMB. My NAS has had guest access enabled since day one, so there's no prompt for a password. For the PCs, immediately after tapping Connect, I normally get an "SMB authentication required" dialog containing a prompt for User and Password. (Now, immediately after tapping the Connect button in any of these entries is where the app completely freezes up.)

I got the update to version 3.5.1 (597), which did not help with this issue. I've tried rebooting the iPad and also deleting and reinstalling the VLC app, to no avail. I would guess there's nothing about this iPad that would make it particularly issue-prone. Again, 3.4.9 and older versions were fine, plus I have a couple of other file-browsing apps that still work.

kevpac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kevpac » 20 Feb 2024 00:58

Very strange. I tried "Reset Network Settings". After the reboot and connecting to Wi-Fi, the first thing I did was open VLC, and I was able to browse my NAS exactly once. The app has been freezing ever since.

stationcake
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stationcake » 21 Feb 2024 23:28

I also have this issue and it also started with version 3.5.0. It happens on both my iPad and iPhone running the iOS 17.3.1.

However, I have found a work-around that works *for me*. In my case I'm connecting to a Samba server that is hosted on an ubuntu server. This same ubuntu server also hosts a few other services, but I have firewalled them off because I do not want my iPhone or iPad to be able to access them. But what seems to be happening is that that VLC can somehow discover these services through bonjour or avahi directory service, but then is upset that it can't actually reach them even if I never pick them from the menu. It's as part of the listing of the servers in the Network tab that it goes ahead and tries to connect to the servers on the expected tcp ports and hangs because the firewall is not allowing it.

I discovered this because if I turn off the firewall on the server *completely*, VLC works just fine. When I re-enable the firewall to only allow the Samba ports, it doesn't work; VLC locks up upon listing the services. However, what I did discover is that if I unblock the ports of the services which are alphabetically just above the Samba services, in the order they are listed in the VLC network screen, VLC will not lock up and you can then access the Samba services just fine. The way I discovered this was I turned on verbose logging at my firewall and noticed that my iPhone was systematically trying to access the TCP ports of the services that were advertised by uPNP and bonjour whenever I click on the Network tab in VLC.

Similarly, if leave my firewall rules up and completely shutdown all the other network services on the Ubuntu server, things work fine as far as VLC is concerned, because those services are no longer being advertised as being available so it never tries to access the blocked-off firewalled ports.

So for now, my work-around (which I do not like) is I opened the firewall ports of the one service that is alphabetically higher than my Samba server to my iPhone. It's a "meh" work-around because I trust my iPhone not to do anything bad to this service, but there's no reason I should have to do this.

Hopefully this is helpful to the developers. I'd prefer the old behavior, or at least checkbox that allows me to force VLC to not investigate these other services unless I actually click on one.

rufusmc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rufusmc » 22 Feb 2024 02:50

fkuehne,

I have the same no connection to NFS servers with the latest 3.5.2 on AppleTV.

I have a couple active AppleTVs and a couple of older ones as backups. All are on TVOS 17.4.

On AppleTV #1, VLC is still 3.4.9 and it connect fine on all 4 NFS servers, as it always did. (I have turned Automatic Updates on the remaining devices for now.)

Somehow, I had Update Automatically, and AppleTV #2 updated to VLC 3.5.2: it no longer connects to any of the NFS Servers. All these media servers are on the LAN and only have NFS running on these.

BTW, I suspect it is 3.5.2 as the About VLC in settings doesn't come up at all. Since I deleted the app and re-installed it, the Apple Store says it's 3.5.2.

Thank You and good luck!

tinrobot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tinrobot » 22 Feb 2024 15:30

Same here - automatic updates to VLC on Apple TV upgraded to 3.5.2 recently - cannot connect to Serviio DLNA / UPNP folders

jurgen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jurgen » 22 Feb 2024 16:46

The same holds true for me. Since this afternoon (2024-02-22 - it worked in the morning) the connection to my UPnP-Server fails on Apple TV. VLC is at version 3.5.2, though one cannot infer that ftom the "About"-Item in the settings menu, since nothing happens when i select it.
When selecting the UPnP-Icon for my Server in the "Local Network" section I get a heading of "control?ObjectID=0" - which I suspect should not be there. In addition I get the messge "Empty folder". I am able to connect using SMB.

Childledj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Childledj » 22 Feb 2024 21:46

Same for me. ATVgen4, Serviio (on Mojave) and Twonky (on Dlink DNS343) servers. serviceControl?ObjectID=0

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 00:13

I've had the same thing. I've got the latest 4K Apple TV, and have been watching files from my NAS (Synology) via UPNP which has a blue Synology logo come up every time. Well today it must have updated the app, because there's a new heart icon for "favourites" that interrupts my day by needing 4 or 5 more clicks to get to my blue icon, ploughing through the many SMB entries on my list (2 x NAS with 2 network adapters each). When I slog back to the icon I've been using for years, I click/tap and off it goes to an "empty folder" page. Great. I tried logging in using my NAS credentials via SMB, but that just goes into an endless loop until the TVoS judges the process needs killing.

Does this need escalating, or will the devs have picked up on this already? I've got no telly to watch later on tonight now, as I gave up watching live TV a few years ago. Life's too short to sit through all those adverts. :x

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 08:51

We are looking into what we broke with the remote shares right now.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 10:41

That’s good news. If you can move the favourites icon out of the way too, I’ll be happy. ;)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 10:58

A fix for browsing the shares was just sent to Apple for review.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 11:15

Cool. How long do they usually take for the review process?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 11:22

Hopefully today.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

ChristopherJohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ChristopherJohn » 23 Feb 2024 19:08

All 3 of my apple TV boxes updated and none of them can now connect to my 2 NAS anymore, they are seen but when you click on them it says something like 'no folders/content'

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 19:40

The iOS hot-fix updated was approved a few minutes ago and should be available shortly. The tvOS version is still in review but should come today, too.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

kevpac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kevpac » 23 Feb 2024 21:14

Sorry to say, but just a half hour ago I installed the update to 3.5.3 ("fix browsing UPnP and SMB shares"), and VLC still does not work correctly on my 15.8.1 OS iPad (where 3.4.9 never had this problem). I even tried again: delete app, reinstall app, reset network settings. I tap on one of my PC SMB servers in Network > File Servers, tap the Connect button, and instead of getting the SMB auth prompt, VLC freezes. This happens with all my SMB servers. Until I kill the app, the OS's network activity indicator on the upper right keeps spinning and spinning.

VLC for iOS
Version: 3.5.3 (603)
Based on: 3.0.18.298-gfa48bfaa11

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 21:21

Hmm, that is in fact a different problem that will resolved in a subsequent update.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 21:24

Fortunately, I had a DVD of Vic Reeves' Big Night Out on hand, so I didn't have to eat my evening meal in silence. There are only 2 seasons though, so I hope it's fixed soon!

Please also do something about the location of the Favourites button. I hate it where it is, and in a joypad OS like TVoS, it's a pain. ;)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2024 22:41

I believe you mentioned the location of the favorites button once or twice :D
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 23 Feb 2024 22:52

I believe you mentioned the location of the favorites button once or twice :D
Might have done. :D Did I mention I don't like it? It's good that we can laugh about it though ;)

tinrobot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tinrobot » 24 Feb 2024 03:56

A fix for browsing the shares was just sent to Apple for review.
Just updated to 3.5.3 from TVOs app store (Serviio UPnP) and folders are available! Thank you for the quick fix

Philgriz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Philgriz » 24 Feb 2024 04:40

updated to 3.5.3 from TVOs app store And still facing issues to browse server :(
UI is freezing on all screens

Using tv os + Synology NAS

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 24 Feb 2024 14:53

I updated my TVos VLC app to the latest version, and my AppleTV could see my Synology NAS via UPNP again.

Now, if only we could get that favicon moved, my remote would last a lot longer from all the saved clicks ;)

Thanks for your efforts so far :)

Mike

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”