VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
ChemEngr79
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby ChemEngr79 » 26 Mar 2022 15:58

I have been connecting to my Synology NAS by FTP for 2 years without issue on my iPhone and ipad.

However, in 3.3 when I select to connect to server it just bounces back to networks after about 1 second with no explanation. :x

The behavior is the same on both my iPhone and iPad.

ThunderbirdsFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ThunderbirdsFan » 26 Mar 2022 22:43

I have installed the update to version 3.3 on my Apple TV HD with TVOS 15.4. The connection via SMB to my NAS works without problems. However, I can no longer play any media, neither videos nor music can be started. The same update 3.3 on my iPad and iPhone works without problems.
Same here. Nothing works. I tried mpg, mp4, avi, and mkv.

toshelp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby toshelp » 28 Mar 2022 13:49

I was streaming over HTTP, but VLC doesn't seem to be able to open URI-encoded addresses.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 28 Mar 2022 14:09

I was streaming over HTTP, but VLC doesn't seem to be able to open URI-encoded addresses.
Using x-callback-url or the Open Network Stream panel?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

toshelp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby toshelp » 28 Mar 2022 14:21

Using x-callback-url or the Open Network Stream panel?
I'm using x-callback-url.

jleaves
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jleaves » 28 Mar 2022 14:36

Two issues with the update.

First, intl/i18n support is broken. Interface is shown in English regradless of language settings.

Second, I believe spatial audio support is incomplete. When wearing Airpods Pro, I can play a local video clip successfully as spatial audio in the Apple TV app (iOS) or any other app (such as FE File Explorer), but when played in VLC, spatial audio couldn't work whatsoever.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 28 Mar 2022 14:39

@jleaves: which language do you try to run?

@toshelp: ok, noted. This has been reported before and I'll see how to fix.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

SubJunk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SubJunk » 29 Mar 2022 00:37

Congratulations on this release! There are some huge improvements here that I'm excited about and I know it is the result of a ton of hard work.
Unfortunately for me it has broken support for DLNA/UPnP media servers. I tried with Universal Media Server and Plex but neither are showing up on the Network tab, when they were before

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 29 Mar 2022 01:33

i have been diagnosing VLC for Apple TV for a few days now. i just recently read the description for it on apple Apple TV, VLC media player VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player. it can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion. well, not anymore. i have been using VLC for the better part of 8 years. the same exact way SMB to NAS i can continue to do so with my phone just not my Apple TV.

Dryluck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dryluck » 29 Mar 2022 05:42

Congratulations on a huge release! The team should be proud. I wanted to report a bug, as well. I am no longer able to use 'open network stream' to an rtsp stream on iPhone. The feed does not play video or audio, just a blank screen. I have tried with an iPhone8 and iPhone XR with fresh downloads of Vlc. Windows Pc and android phone work just fine. rtsp stream comes in format of "rtsp://[ipaddress]/unicast". Thanks for your help!

Thymoglobule
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thymoglobule » 29 Mar 2022 12:04

Hello! It looks like the shuffle/repeat options don't appear on the video player interface if you launch a video in landscape mode.

A workaround I found is to either launch the video starting with portrait mode, or to switch it from landscape>portrait>landscape.

EDIT: I'm using an iPhone XR for the record.
Hi. I'm having the same issue on an old iPad 2 (IOS 9.3.5) and the workaround (portait mode) doesn't even work for me. The "loop" or "shuffle" icons never shows. This means I can't loop videos anymore.
The iPads were being used on a commercial stand to display a video in an endless loop, so I guess I have to uninstall VLC and find another player.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 29 Mar 2022 18:27

@Thymoglobule: Is this with locally stored content? Is it organized as a playlist or shown as part of a group?

@Dryluck: does it help to use the recently introduced "rtsp-tcp" option in the app's settings?

@yoshiyike: please try again with 3.3.1 that is currently being reviewed by Apple and should be available shortly. Thank you.

@SubJunk: this should be resolved in 3.3.1 as well.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 29 Mar 2022 18:51

VLC 3.3.1 was just approved for iOS and tvOS. It is currently being published on the App Store. Note that you might need to update manually if you want to get it first.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 29 Mar 2022 19:59

i just updated VLC on my Apple TV and it acts no different. SMB to NAS via VLC is still a no go and this is the primary way that i use VLC. i can browse all my files but when i select one it flashes an orange screen then goes back to the file. i have tried .mkv .avi .mp4 if it dont flash back to the file it stays on the orange screen with the file name. now that i have updated VLC on my phone, the colors are all messed up when it comes to most of the videos that i watch on my phone. even though every video i have only has one source. i have checked different media players on different devices and the videos are fine so i can only assume that this update messed things up even more. since going to 3.3.0 i have been using infuse flawlessly on my apple tv waiting for VLC to be fixed for the simple fact that i prefer it more. although at this current point and time there is no using it for me.
Last edited by yoshiyike on 30 Mar 2022 02:15, edited 3 times in total.

bkh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bkh » 29 Mar 2022 21:01

I've also had the VLC 3.3 issue on AppleTV / SMB local server. I updated to vlc 3.3.1, rebooted the appleTV 4k, and as before, can provide server login credentials, navigate the local network to the file names, but when I try to play a media file it stays on the orange "please wait" screen. With 3.3.0 I had tried deleting and reinstalling VLC but that didn't fix the issue for me. So I'd say it's still broken.

Rheinlaender
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rheinlaender » 29 Mar 2022 21:11

I experience the same behavior as described by @bkh and @yoshiyike on my Apple TV 4K.
The playback of files via SMB or NFS with version 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 is completely broken.
Quite a bummer, as it was working flawlessly before…

PlasmaUK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PlasmaUK » 29 Mar 2022 22:44

New to VLC on Apple TV and forum; installed VLC3.3 on Apple TV running tvOS 15.4 on a smart TV. How can I access files on a memory stick plugged into the smart TV?
You can't, that is not how it works, your TV will play files direct from the USB Stick, but I have never seen a TV that was able to share the files out to the network from a USB Stick. This would require it to run a server, network shares settings up, authentication etc etc. If you want to play the files you will need to put them on network accessible storage.

waltermellon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby waltermellon » 30 Mar 2022 08:24

3.3.1 color rendering on iPhone - something very odd.

Other video players OK.

Any other reports of this?

tokra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tokra » 30 Mar 2022 10:46

Color rendering wrong here on IPad as well (all green/magenta). I noticed that when I turn off "hardware acceleration" in settings the colors look fine again. Don't even dare updating on AppleTV 4K for fear of breaking SMB again.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 30 Mar 2022 10:49

Exactly, on AppleTV I can browse through the folders via SMB without any problems, but when I want to play something the screen briefly turns orange and "Please wait" appears, then the directory where the media is located is displayed again.
I have installed the update to version 3.3.1 on my Apple TV HD with TVOS 15.4. Same Problem.

waltermellon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby waltermellon » 30 Mar 2022 10:59

Color rendering wrong here on IPad as well (all green/magenta). I noticed that when I turn off "hardware acceleration" in settings the colors look fine again. Don't even dare updating on AppleTV 4K for fear of breaking SMB again.
Thanks! The “hardware decoding” switch-off fixed it.

And yeah, SMB works intermittently.

lehmacdj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lehmacdj » 30 Mar 2022 20:11

I just want to comment that I love this release and it greatly has improved performance and UX even in some ways that I wouldn’t have pointed out as issues before. Thanks for the great work!

CoNSpiracy001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CoNSpiracy001 » 30 Mar 2022 21:47

I experience the same behavior as described by @bkh and @yoshiyike on my Apple TV 4K.
The playback of files via SMB or NFS with version 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 is completely broken.
Quite a bummer, as it was working flawlessly before…
Exactly the same here. The problem started with v3.3.0 and it is the same with v3.3.1…

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 31 Mar 2022 01:30

i just checked to see if things were straightened out yet and noticed that VLC had yet another update version 3.3.2 on Apple TV. i updated and tried to use VLC like i always had SMB to NAS via VLC and still nothing. the same orange screen flash then back to the directory. yet when i try to use VLC the same exact way on my phone, no problem.

Dryluck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dryluck » 31 Mar 2022 05:55

@fkuehne

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, the rtp over rtsp setting does not fix things. Was there a change with how rtsp handled in the new version?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”