Latest VLC for iPad connection error

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
GAZMAN3510
New Cone
New Cone

Latest VLC for iPad connection error

Postby GAZMAN3510 » 19 Sep 2019 23:40

Hi I was using the previous version of vlc to connect to my WD MYBOOKLIVEDUO for streaming audio to my sonos
But this morning I updated vlc on my iPad now it no longer connects to my NAS.
Have a feeling might be an SMB problem only thing is I don’t know the version on my WD MYBOOKLIVEDUO.
Is there are fix or work around as it’s a real shame I can’t get it to connect.

PhredE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.8
Operating System: Win10Pro

Re: Latest VLC for iPad connection error

Postby PhredE » 20 Sep 2019 16:04

Similarly, two days ago VLC for iOS was working perfectly nominally on the local network here linking three Windows 10 PCs, then it updated itself on an iPad mini running iOS 9.3.6 (13G37) (the latest possible) and only one of the PCs is accessible. VLC for iOS cannot read the shares on two of the PCs.
Nothing notable has changed on any device, all as up to date as can be. All the PCs use SMB Vn2, as reported by X-plore file manager on an Android phone (that connects correctly).
The same condition applies on a second iPad mini 4 running iOS 12.4.1 (the latest available).
The iPad minis can see each other's video files when permission to share from within VLC is on. Both iPads have been power-cycled.
All PCs are visible in VLC from iOS's Network page and they are seen as SMB devices. All PCs connect between each other on the network nominally.
All three PCs shares are accessible from VLC for Android, vn 3.1.7.; SMB reported again.
Note that the PCs' 192.168... DHCP-served IP addresses change from time to time after reboots, though not their names. One cable broadband modem/router and one WiFi router in AP mode are used.
Is there somewhere we could look on our NASs (above) or Win10 PCs?
Has something gone seriously wrong with 3.2.0 (334)?

glnz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby glnz » 25 Sep 2019 17:19

Just FYI that others have complained about the same thing, and VLC has acknowledged it's a bug that they will fix in a future update, but they haven't said when.
Meantime, I have installed the app "Documents" on my iPad, and it is doing the same thing as VideoLan used to do - Letting me access the "shared" video files on the PCs in my home network and playing them in its own player in the iPad.

PhredE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PhredE » 26 Sep 2019 20:43

Yes, thanks glnz. Since I was one of the first to report VLC's breaking in this regard, I was alert to the news of a discovered bug and the plan to fix it. Awaiting with interest.
And I note with interest what you say about 'Documents'. I see no app 'Documents', per se, though search shows 'Documents by Readdle', 'Documents Pro', 'Adobe Documents Bundle', others.
I suspect it's the first one. Can you confirm? Whether or not it has a price attached to it would also help identify it (and I dislike apps sneaking onto my devices and then revealing that they're a chargeable item, leaving a trial stain behind, with consequences).

glnz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby glnz » 26 Sep 2019 22:16

Pretty sure it's the first, and is free as far as I can tell. But I don't use the iPad much, so please confirm.

glnz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby glnz » 27 Sep 2019 16:18

Just updated to 3.2.1 AND tried.
Prompts me for User Name and Password (which I skipped before) and then connects only very slowly - needs minutes.
I don't have a password on either side of my dual-booting Win 7 + Win 10 machine. In VLC now, I type in the User Name, leave the Password blank, and it' gives me a spinning circle for a long time. Also, the prompt does not go away - I have to hit Cancel. After a few minutes, it shows the Shared folders on my PC.
Connecting finally, but this is much worse than before. There is no improvement in 3.2 over 3.1 - it's definitely worse, and I would gladly go back to 3.1.
Hey - VLC - you're not done here.

PhredE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PhredE » 29 Sep 2019 15:45

Yep, agreed, glnz, it's a different beast now with 3.2.1.

I get much the same as you though I do have unams and pwds on each of my machines (and different users). With this edition it seems to be a 'Turn-Up-And-Identify' kind of sign-on: you provide credentials to access your LAN shares and 'Connect', but while the remote share turns up behind the dialog box, dimmed, it seems that the box has then to be dismissed with the inappropriately named 'Cancel' control.

I too get the long delay before the files and folders appear - it's looks as though VLC wants to read each and every object inside the remote machine, all the way down inside every folder and sub-folder. I suspect that happened before (because it didn't update filenames altered elsewhere while signed on) but likely was done in the background. Now the user has to wait until it's completed.

Credential storage is also still flakey, though improved. 'Save'. Different usernames per server weren't recognised, last I tried.

Years ago, Kahlil Gibran declared 'Your children are not your children...'. Today, our computers are not our computers, they are life's and developers' longing for progress, only forward. There is no going back to vn. 3.1 . Pity.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”