Connect to Server: Plex

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
kakkalla
New Cone
New Cone

Connect to Server: Plex

Postby kakkalla » 20 Mar 2018 07:28

Hi all.

I am running VLC Version 3.0.2 (303) on an iPad running iOS 11.2.6. My Plex server software is 1.12.0.4829 running on a Mac using El Capitan 10.11.6.

I recently posted a topic in which I explained that I could not get the subtitles to display when there was an srt file in the same folder as the movie file. The question I was asked was: "Do you connect to PLEX via UPnP or with our native PLEX support?"

I connect to Plex via the UPnP tab where my Plex server appears. But the above question got me thinking, so I decided to connect to my Plex server by going to Local Network > Connect to Server and then selecting the third tab "Plex". This is where I have run into problems as I don't know what information to apply to each field.

The Server field: Is this the address of my machine that is running the Plex server? So this would be something like 10.0.1.24, yes?
The Port field: Is this to be 32400, the default port showing under Plex>Server>Remote Access page?
The User field: Is this the username of my account on my mac?
The Password: Is this the password to my mac?

When I fill in all the details with: 10.0.1.24; 32400; user; password, I can't connect. I get the error Server Connection Failed. Check your server address and credentials.

Is this a bug in VLC? What information should I be entering? Do I need to set up port forwarding on my router?

I look forward to any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”