Problems with VLC on Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
hpgjg
New Cone
New Cone

Problems with VLC on Apple TV

Postby hpgjg » 21 Nov 2017 16:02

I have a few problems with VLC on Apple TV 4.G, that I hope someone can help me with. :-)

1. After VLC crashed (A few days ago.) I restarted my Apple TV. After that the background in VLC is black, and it looks awful especially with the light/white icons. How do I change it back to white?

2. VLC has started to default to a search field. Every time I click in to a new folder I have to move away from the search field. It's a real time-waster and annoying. How do I change this?

3. After the crash mentioned above, I can't get the in-play pull down menu to work. It's the menu where you select audio track and subtitles. I managed to get the menu down ones but VLC crashed (happens quite a lot lately.). But what about the pull down menu, what am I doing wrong?

I really hope someone can help. VLC is the primary reason I have an Apple TV, and it has been working quite well for a year or so.

cyberjunkyfreak
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Problems with VLC on Apple TV

Postby cyberjunkyfreak » 22 Nov 2017 19:15

The latest version of VLC for tvOS (1.1.0 Nov 20, 2017) appears to be broken. After updating to version 1.1.0 VLC constantly crashes as soon as it opens. I have tried un-installing and re-installing VLC, rebooting the Apple TV, no change. I had been using VLC without any issue right up until the update. Hoping that a fix is released soon!

Thecuttingedge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecuttingedge » 23 Nov 2017 12:41

Same problem on my AppleTV 4. Crashes immediately after start. Same error after reinstall.
VLC is my main-reason for using atv.
How can I get the TestFlight-beta? Maybe that works?
Thanks, nik

evo.smith
New Cone
New Cone

Postby evo.smith » 29 Nov 2017 09:08

It hasn't crashed on me but it will no longer connect to my airport extream through SMB. I had no problems until a few day ago when it updated.

dallasbob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dallasbob » 30 Nov 2017 16:55

I am having the same problem: I had VLC opened on the Apple TV. Then VLC crashed. After ReBoots & Reinstall - same problem - Crashes after opening.
How is this fixed

stufio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stufio » 01 Dec 2017 03:12

Just wanted to chime in and say that VLC is also crashing on my Apple TV after updating to 1.1.0. I can open it and get to the login prompt when trying to access my computer, but as soon as I try to log in, it crashes.

sinimaus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sinimaus » 01 Dec 2017 23:32

same over here: tvOS 11.1, VLC for Mobile 1.1.0

DCStreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DCStreamer » 02 Dec 2017 15:49

Did anyone try deleting the old version of VLC first, then downloading the new version (vs. just doing an update) ?

I don't know if this is related (and I don't mean this to be a cross-post) but I was testing beta VLC 1.1.0 on tvOS 11.1 (Apple TV, 4th gen) which, in late November, solved my problem (of streams freezing). Since the current beta (as of 1 Dec) was 110(50) which is now the same version posted on the App Store, I decided to move back to the normal App Store version.

However, when I downloaded the new version directly from the App Store (not via TestFlight), I received a black screen when trying to "tune in" to our multicast H.264 screen (but the app didn't crash). Rebooting the Apple TV didn't help. But when I deleted VLC everywhere (on the Apple TV and in the TestFlight app), then re-downloaded VLC 110(50) from the App Store --- everything worked again.

For at least 2 hours (before I left the building), VLC 110(50) was displaying an H.264 video stream on a 4th gen Apple TV running tvOS 11.1 with no problems.

sinimaus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sinimaus » 02 Dec 2017 16:06

I tried deleting and re-installing VLC several times. Unfortunately I don't know how to install an older Version as I used the AppStore - don't know any other possibility for my AppleTV.

DCStreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DCStreamer » 02 Dec 2017 16:57

What I did (before the latest version of VLC (1.1.0) was to re-flash my Apple TV back down to tvOS 10.2.2 (the older version of VLC 1.0.7 worked on the older version of tvOS 10.2.2).

You can do this if you think the new version of VLC will work on the old version of tvOS.

(Once the new version of VLC worked for me, I upgraded both to the latest.)

itsame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby itsame » 06 Dec 2017 13:27

Similar issues to OP here since 1.1.0 came out. It's a real janky release.

The dark theme is a step back compared to the last version. Could there at least be a 'night' theme toggle?

The controls have changed to be obstacles rather than being intuitive. I now have to click the touchpad before I can scroll to a specific time and the pull down menu appears to be sporadic at best. Minor annoyances, sure, but the controls were perfectly fine before and I wouldn't have thought changing them without notice would make anyone happy.

However, by far the biggest problem is that I can't actually watch anything over DLNA. I can, at best, get a few seconds or minutes in to a video before it stops and appears to buffer. And when it stops, nothing else will play until I force close. Then repeat after relaunch. The same files on the same hardware on the same network were perfectly fine before the update.

I've tried uninstalling, installing, restoring the AppleTV, updating to iOS 11.2. Nothing doing.

Victoria658
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Victoria658 » 13 Dec 2017 09:10

VLC crashing with Appletv no matter how many reinstalls etc etc, home network not the same without a working version of VLC mobile, please please can we have an updated app?

pererivers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pererivers » 26 Dec 2017 23:37

I have same vlc crash problems when Asus wifi routers are in my Lan, I solved this crash updating asus router setup with 2.4 & 5mhz chanels to automatic, 2,4 to auto select channel including channel 12, 13 and 5mhz to select Auto(DFS).
I don't understand it because I have appletv with LAN cable, but with this asus setup, vlc it works.
Regards,
Peter

Defected
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Defected » 29 Dec 2017 21:31

Same problem here, since I’ve installed the app on both my Apple TV’s 4th gen and 4K I’ve never been able to open it. :x
Wish there was another way. Really love vlc and the simplicity

emirerkaya
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: Version 3.0.8 Vetina
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby emirerkaya » 11 Feb 2020 19:42

My problem is, since I use final Apple tv (livingroom) each song that plays volume stars higher like someone adjusts the volume setting !

(interestingly volume tool is on the same level)

(sometimes we hop from our place because It is so loud)

I have to lower the sound of each song playing each time :-)

I will go crazy. Please help !!! :-)

ps: When Iam not connected to Appl tv, VLC works fine.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”