281.1: starting playback >100% drops audio, same with seeking with audio >100%

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

281.1: starting playback >100% drops audio, same with seeking with audio >100%

Postby Dale Vino » 13 Sep 2017 00:51

My general use case is listening to long audio-only files, mostly AAC in MP4 containers, at accelerated speed, but this issue seems to manifest regardless of size. As of the latest update, in order to get sound, I had to change my default from 200% back to 100%. I tried everything in between with the same issue: the playback counter ticks but no audio plays. I can re-accelerate audio during playback with the slider, but audio will drop again when seeking. It will work again if I drop playback to 100% and once again increase rate. I use an iPhone SE with iOS 10.3.3.

Some positive feedback, seeking has improved dramatically the past few versions. It's been a longstanding issue of mine, dating back to my previous device. Previously I'd want to fast-forward by 10-15 minutes by using the +60 or +30 second functions but on each press I'd have to wait for VLC to "find" the point else subsequent presses would be discarded and the time to find the spot would just increase, with the counter stuttering and otherwise freaking out. Finding took long enough to make the value of seeking questionable. Using the timeline was even worse, with the counter often never recovering and future seeks being difficult or impossible. Now seeks are much snappier, close to instant. This holds true for the latest version, even if output drops.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: 281.1: starting playback >100% drops audio, same with seeking with audio >100%

Postby fkuehne » 13 Sep 2017 11:36

How long are your _long_ files? can you share one of them with us?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: 281.1: starting playback >100% drops audio, same with seeking with audio >100%

Postby Dale Vino » 13 Sep 2017 12:03

Well, I think the longest file I ever listened to was in the 12-16 hour range, but in this case it really doesn't matter. It's every file, at least with the set I'm using. To replicate a common scenario, I demuxed the audio from "A slight misunderstanding" from your YouTube channel: https://mega.nz/#!NF1jWL4A!Pn0mxg2qflgP ... EJE5uDEJsk

Set the default playback to 2x or anything else over 1x and play the file. You should see the counters work but hear silence. Double-tap the playback speed slider to have it reset to 1x. The audio should start playing, perhaps after a brief delay. You can up the playback speed and it will function, most times. Then seek. Now it should fail. But it will work again when resetting to 1x again. Sometimes you have to tap "Done" and start over. It gets lost or something. Assuming default playback speed is above 1x, the behavior resumes upon switching tracks.

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 15 Sep 2017 20:23

Out of curiosity, were you able to reproduce the behavior? If not, I solicit suggestions to mitigate the effects. Reinstalling & rebooting has happened multiple times. I cannot jailbreak the device due to versioning. Trying to restore from backup resulted in wasted time and heartbreak.

I don't know if it's related to the above issue but I noticed the lock screen timer is inaccurate. It seems to tick in real time even if audio is accelerated, so if I look at the counter there it may say that the file is half done but is actually nearing completion. This doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time, though.

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 26 Sep 2017 07:47

Updated to iOS 11; issue persists. This was a clean install via Restore. Backup was applied.

Campdenhouse
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Campdenhouse » 08 Feb 2018 16:29

<t>I'm still struggling with this issue--landed here from a post in the original topic I created back in September.<br/>
<br/>
Since September, I've done multiple iOS upgrades as Apple has made them available (11.2.5 currently) on both an iPhone 6 and 6S. Also removed and reinstalled a couple of times too. No time/interest in wiping, restoring and not willing to risk some other quirky Apple nonsense setting me back (i.e. can't restore your backup cuz it's Sunday and your other iPhone isn't pointing at the sun).<br/>
<br/>
Basically, it used to work (before Sept '17) flawlessly. I used Handbrake and created my files. I could playback at ANY SPEED, but typically 1.25x - 1.5x and use my BT headphones. When the whatever upgrade hit, (Aug/Sep '17?) suddenly the BT audio stopped working yielding the occasional Pop or Click but never audio while the video played. If you monkeyed with the playback speed and took it below 1.0x it suddenly worked and then you had to slide back to the faster speed. But, if you paused or skipped forward or back than the audio never recovered. I have noticed that using the audio delay can also return the sound, but the slider is soooo sensitive its almost impossible to set with any accuracy. If I skip forward or back 10 seconds it takes me probably 30 seconds to get things setup where its watchable again. As such I need to skip back 10 seconds I actually have skip back 30-40 seconds to give me time to get everything readjusted before the bit I want to rewatch plays!!

Also; if I stop watching and switch to another app and come back the PLAY button is non-responsive--have to hit DONE and then reselect the video from the list AND redo all the sound stuff to get it to play.

Bottom line, it used to work flawlessly and now is an absolute pain in the a$$. Let me know how I can help you to debug, but I have to assume you can replicate on your side.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”