Help displaying subtitles please.

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Steamywee
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Help displaying subtitles please.

Postby Steamywee » 29 Apr 2017 21:37

I have version 2.7.8(2.7.8.1) All along the watchtower, Based on 3.0.0-git Vetinari. :shock: ...Hope that imparts something useful!

Having reached an age where my ears also need glasses, I have been attempting to encourage it to display subtitles. :roll:

I have many Video files downloaded using Get-iPlayer, which include the associated ".srt" Subtitle files.
These Videos play and display the subtitles magnificently as always using VLC on my old Vista PC, but all efforts to persuade the version on my iPad to acknowledge the presence of the subtitles has failed miserably.

I hasten to add that due to the abortive cost of inbuilt RAM in things Apple, and their total lack of any form of physical inter-connectivity with the rest of the world, I'm forced to stream the Video files to the blessed iPad using a "HooToo Trip Mate" Wireless Travel Router: see here> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I00J8DW?psc=1

The Tripmate units interface on the iPad shows both the Video file and its associated srt file, but whilst tapping the Video File invokes the playing of the video (sans subs), tapping the srt file prompts a message that there is no software to read this file, ...or some thing to that effect. Grr!

I have attempted to "fiddle" with the various settings accessed by tapping the Traffic cone (what on earth was the story behind that?) :shock:
I really have no idea what I'm doing there, ..probably more harm than good!

...Under "Settings" I have viewed the subtitles section which says:;
Font: Helvetica Neue
Relative Font Size: Normal
Use Bold Font: Set to "On"
Font Colour: White
Text Encoding: Western European (Windows-1252)

Any changes I have made in there have seemingly had no effect what so ever, so I have returned each one back to what I presume were it's defaults (above).

Can any one help me?
Is it even possible to achieve my desired result, ...despite its mundanity? :mrgreen:

EDIT
Spotted this exchange in "How to use VLC for IOS":-
Hello,

I have VLC for IOS in my Iphone 6, My question is: Can I charge subtitles? If the answer is yes, How?
Schein_Toter: like we told you already, VLC for IOS supports external subtitles very well since the beginning. Stop posting wrong information.

@AndresMendez: Just give your subtitles files the same name as the actual movie (except for the file extension of course) and VLC will pick it up and show the text.
Not sure if this "Should" help in my situation, but having checked, I can confirm that both the MP4 Video File and the associated subtitle file already bear exactly the same name, except for the file extension.
Must be something else stopping them from appearing it seems.

ztm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Help displaying subtitles please.

Postby ztm » 01 May 2017 18:48

I think the answer you're looking for is here: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=137221

Steamywee
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Steamywee » 02 May 2017 00:17

Thanks for replying ztm, you are the first to reply to this question which I have posted four times since May 2015! :lol:
However, I'm not sure that "tvOS" and VLC for IOS are the same thing.
...Anyway, despite several postings in the thread, the problem still remains unsolved! :shock:

ztm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ztm » 02 May 2017 09:55

Sorry, you're right.
Then it's been said around that it should be already up-to-date for iOS :P

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”