5.1 AAC issues on Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
stufio
New Cone
New Cone

5.1 AAC issues on Apple TV

Postby stufio » 16 May 2016 18:20

Hello

I've searched the forums for this problem, but can't seem to find anyone who is experiencing it, so here goes:

I have my Apple hooked up via HDMI to my TV, which then passes the audio through to my 5.1 soundbar through another HDMI cable (using ARC). My soundbar has an LED indicator that illuminates any time a video has 5.1 surround sound. Otherwise, it just takes the stereo signal and "forces" surround sound to all of the speakers. One of the more recent updates to VLC for Apple TV allowed for audio passthrough using S/PDIF, which has been great for several files I have that use AC3 surround. When playing those files, the LED lights up and I get true surround from my system. However, when I play several files that I have that use AAC surround, I get audio, but the LED does not light up and I can tell by listening to the audio that the system is just taking stereo and sending it to all of the speakers. I've tried several files that have AC3 and they all work. I've tried several files with AAC and none of them seem to be sending the true 5.1 signal to my soundbar. I am positive that both AC3 and AAC files have 5.1 and not stereo, as I have a program on my computer that will analyze a file and tell you an incredible amount of detail about the file (MediaInfo Mac).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug? Is it a problem with my soundbar, not the file?
Basically, I've tried everything I know to try and can't figure out where the problem is. Any and all information you guys can provide would be immensely helpful.

Thanks

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: 5.1 AAC issues on Apple TV

Postby fkuehne » 17 May 2016 12:55

We support passthrough for AC-3 only at the moment. It is not supported for AAC as of yet. This is a generic, cross-platform limitation of VLC.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

stufio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stufio » 17 May 2016 18:00

We support passthrough for AC-3 only at the moment. It is not supported for AAC as of yet. This is a generic, cross-platform limitation of VLC.
Thank you for your reply. Is this a feature that will be added in the future? I know you may not have an exact timeline, I'm just wondering if this is a feature that is being considered at all.

Thanks again.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 17 May 2016 18:26

Yes, it is on our list for future releases :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

MrNeedSomeHelp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MrNeedSomeHelp » 12 Nov 2018 18:41

I can see this issue has been on the list for at least two years so I'm wondering is there a work around for this issue?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 17 Nov 2018 13:24

In fact, Apple removed the API we used for AC-3 passthrough on Apple TV without an alternative, so at present, we can't do it for any format, even though we'd love to and our part of the code is defacto ready for use.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Brampie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brampie » 14 Apr 2019 13:32

Hi All,

Is there already a solution for this problem?
I've my Apple TV 4K hooked up to my TV and my Surround receiver is connected to my TV via HDMI ARC.
I use VLC as my primary internal video player. All my movies are MKV containers with 5.1 audio. If I play those files I only get sound from my front speakers. Also on my receiver I can clearly seeing the LED's of 5.1 audio, so in one way or another it seems that the 5.1 audio is detected but not coming through to my receiver.

Why does this problem still exist with VLC?

All my 5.1 Netflix streams are well played through all speakers from the same Apple TV 4K.

Thanks!

Krainox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Krainox » 07 Jan 2021 22:05

Hi All,

I have the same issue. The video container is MkV, 5.1 audio. I get only audio from the front speakers, however, the receiver and the TV shows the audio is Dolby Digital.

The configuration is the same as some previous posts "I've my Apple TV 4K hooked up to my TV and my Surround receiver is connected to my TV via HDMI ARC."

As a test, I have played the movie on the iMac using MK-player, then, stream the movie directly to the TV (In this test the AppleTV is not used, the purpose is to test the file and the TV+Receiver setup). I can hear the 5.1 sound in the receiver successfully.

Netflix, Disney+ works correctly with 5.1 DD audio on AppleTV.

Is this issue going to be fixed?

Thanks in advance!!

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”