How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
mark5513
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

Postby mark5513 » 30 Jun 2015 11:29

Hmmm, this doesn't work ;-( I opened the sleeptime menu and tap 3x on it ?

Verkackt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Verkackt
Operating System: Verkackt

Postby Verkackt » 30 Jun 2015 11:36

Hmmm, this doesn't work ;-( I opened the sleeptime menu and tap 3x on it ?
No this is suggestion for VLC iOS. I am only Bug Reporter ;)
Verkackt

mark5513
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mark5513 » 30 Jun 2015 11:40

Ah, ok.

fe$
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fe$ » 11 Jul 2015 18:37

I have a few questions:
1) Is there any way to customize the gesture jump times? Currently it's 10 seconds back and 30 seconds forwards - I'd like to change these settings.
Hi, I just installed VLC 2.6.2 on my iPad Mini 2.

I was searching an iOS video player for playing old music concerts/shows (standard definition, MPEG-2 interlaced) MKV files with edited embedded chapters markers.

VLC for iOS is pretty good on this job, but it could be much better with just simple improvements:

1) EMBEDDED CHAPTERS EASY JUMPS: Please make it possible to customize the "gesture jumps" and the "|<<" and ">>|" buttons to easily jump to beginning of previous/next embedded MKV chapter (instead of jumping fixed times). Additionaly, when doing this, VLC could also displays the new chapter name on left-top of window for last say three seconds (like QuickTime Player X for Mac when It's playing a M4V H.264 file and the user clicks on SHIFT + COMMAND + left/right-arrow-key).

2) EMBEDDED CHAPTERS LIST BUTTON: It would be great if there was a CHAPTERS LIST button just on the right side of the ">>|" button on bottom of window for easy/quick access (because the current chapters button, inside the "..." menu on right-bottom corner of window, works very well but is not easy to be accessed).

3) START PLAYING: It would be great to add to VLC this feature here ---> On the iOS native "Videos" app settings there is an option to choose Start Playing "from beginning" or "where left off" (I set this to "from beginning").

4) DISPLAY ASPECT RATIO: I don't know why someone would ever change the display aspect ratio to watch deformed or cropped video (but OK, there are people in the world that will cry if they can not watch deformed or cropped video anymore, so I think it's good that VLC allows it :D ). In my case, I just would like to be able to completely disable the display aspect ratio button on right-top of window, so I would never accidentaly change the aspect ratio.

Thank you very much, and congratulations for your good job!

Best regards!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 16 Jul 2015 11:53

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback! I'll see what I can do for subsequent releases. Some of your ideas are already covered by tickets on our tracker, others are not. I'll create a few so we don't forget about it :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

mikey186
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikey186 » 18 Jul 2015 21:25

If only I wish to make a suggestion to the VLC app......at least to have a 5 sec fast rewind as well as AirPlay support (if it had not already).

iHasan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iHasan » 30 Jul 2015 13:51

Hi , I was copying .mkv 1080p videos to my iPhone 5s and playing them with vlc and they work smoothly except for every couple of seconds the video goes very large grey and white pixels for two or three seconds and then it's good for like ten second but not all the videos and when I play it back it's the same place when it did that , what should I do to fix that error?
I have the latest version of vlc , thanks

capfuturo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby capfuturo » 29 Aug 2015 18:01

@Felix Paul Kuehne I am puzzle as to why subtitles don't want to show up on my iPad when I access my OneDrive account. My films in OneDrive are mkv files, and sitting right next to them I have either subtitle files or a 'Subs' folder containing the several different subtitle language srt files, named exactly as the movie with the language suffix, of course.

Example:
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.mkv
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.English.srt

or

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.mkv
Subs
|___ The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.English.srt
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.Spanish.srt
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) 720p Bluray x264 2.0.French.srt

The wiki also says VLC iOS supports external subtitles but, as I said, I can't get them to show up:
https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation ... dio_tracks

Any help would be most appreciated

Cap

MTimeless
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MTimeless » 30 Aug 2015 06:38

Hi, first off I have VLC running on my IPhone 5S IOS 8.4.1 and the app works wonderfully. I have it linked to an Internet Radio station that I use inside of the Second Life Program. Previously I used Winamp. However, the sound quality of VLC is far superior. I have since switched it on my desktop as well. There are two minor inconveniences that I have that I'm not sure how to fix and if they can be fixed. They are:

01. Persistence of stream. Every time I log off I have to manually retype the stream URL http://108.61.154.147:9828 While not a problem on the desktop and IPad it is sort of a driving hazard on the iPhone. Again, minor problem but maybe I've overlooked something.

02. Screen image. While the black screen for the stream is great (iPhone sits in a holder on the dashboard) and not distracting the small lettering at the bottom of the screen does not permit reading of song titles and does not scroll so a typical song as follows looks like this:

Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything - What Have You Done
becomes
Within Temptation - The Heart of Every

Again these are minor inconveniences but I didn't see a fix in the faq or the manual.

Any help would be appreciated

Mike Timeless

genegold
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: WinXP

Postby genegold » 28 Oct 2015 00:26

Unlike others, I can't figure out how to get files from my Win 8.1 PC to the VLC media library on my iPad Mini 2 via iTunes and a wired connection (latest VLC, iOS). I read that VLC for iOS can play most anything, so I'm trying to test with avi and mkv files. The Apple instructions you posted are a couple of years old and at a certain point don't resemble the current OS, while the VLC app's ones ("First Steps") are vague: "Switch to the Apps tab, scroll down and look for VLC. Transfer your files." "Look" and "transfer" don't tell me much. Highlighting VLC on the apps list (iTunes > iPad) doesn't get me anywhere either. Since the movies library won't take either of my files, probably because iOS doesn't like those formats, I'm stuck. What am I missing? Thanks,

ontap
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ontap » 01 Nov 2015 23:17

if this is something i am being dumb for not figuring out my apologies , but can you tell me is it possible to continue watching the video in a minimised screen format whilst looking at the playlist ?
cannot find an option for this in settings ?
when i hit playlist icon i am left with audio only . also , whe watching in full screen mode i cannot access playlist without exiting full screen ? is there a fix for this please ?
am using mac.

sandeepbaliga
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sandeepbaliga » 03 Nov 2015 09:35

Hi Guys , Can any one help me how to watch SBS (Side-by-Side) 3D Movies in Apple ipad vlc Player , Can't find Anaglyph setting in VLC player that i installed in pad

johnlink
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnlink » 10 Jan 2016 23:38

Unlike others, I can't figure out how to get files from my Win 8.1 PC to the VLC media library on my iPad Mini 2 via iTunes and a wired connection (latest VLC, iOS). I read that VLC for iOS can play most anything, so I'm trying to test with avi and mkv files. The Apple instructions you posted are a couple of years old and at a certain point don't resemble the current OS, while the VLC app's ones ("First Steps") are vague: "Switch to the Apps tab, scroll down and look for VLC. Transfer your files." "Look" and "transfer" don't tell me much. Highlighting VLC on the apps list (iTunes > iPad) doesn't get me anywhere either. Since the movies library won't take either of my files, probably because iOS doesn't like those formats, I'm stuck. What am I missing? Thanks,
I have the same problem except that my iPad is connected to an iMac. I've synced with iTunes and moved about a dozen audio files onto the iPad, all of which can be played by Apple's default player, but VLC on the iPad says "Empty Media Library".

I agree that the instructions given by the VLC app are vague and not helpful.

johnlink
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnlink » 10 Jan 2016 23:40

VLC on the iPad now sees all my audio files.

r8ix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby r8ix » 14 Jan 2016 11:02

Can somebody provide documentation/explanation for "Variable Jump Duration"?

hefl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hefl » 09 Feb 2016 20:50

Does VLC comes in an un-signed IPA so it can be signed by an Admin with his own app ID and Apple profile? Thank you in advance.

vs33
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vs33 » 23 May 2016 20:09

Hello,

I am using iOS 9.3.2 and VLC 2.7.7(277.2). I was able to upload the music/mp3 files using Sharing via WiFi options. I am seeing two issues. :?: :?: If you could take time and respond to this, I will sincerely appreciate it.

1. I see my music files in all files but do not see them in the Music Albums section. It says empty media library.
2. When i play one file from all files by taping on one of the files on my iPhone, it does not advance to the next song. I have checked the setting and Continuous audio playback is set to Always.

Thanks

shawon_rejaul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shawon_rejaul » 08 Sep 2016 09:08

I can't integrate the framework i think using cocoapods, libraries missing or something. Also cant get the libMobileVLCKit.a file. How to successfully add the framework can anyone tell ? Also i got a libMobileVLCKit.a and successfully run avi stored locally. But if i want to stream from server grey screen appears and jitters all over it. Need help ASAP

Gerrit-GTi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gerrit-GTi » 27 Jan 2017 03:39

1) this will be part of the next major update if all goes well.
2) Maybe in subsequent releases. Good point!
3) Yes, we don't support Kodi's UPnP extension for subtitles yet. For the video library, not sure. I'll test once I got my Kodi installation up and running again.
Hi Felix Paul Kuehne,

Did you manage to get your kodi install up and running again? The issue with the video library is a real pain for me. I've opened a topic specific here for this issue and was hoping someone would take a look at it. Would love to know if I''m doing something wrong or if there really is a bug for this etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

frakman1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frakman1 » 19 Apr 2017 02:18

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your efforts and contributions.

I am using:
VLC for iOS
Version: 2.7.8 (278.1)
All Along the Watchtower

I am able to load a network stream. What I want is to be able to auto launch that last playing stream when I exit and close the app and then re-run it later. My goal is to automate the playing of this stream by launching the app at certain time like an online radio morning alarm clock for example.

Do you know of any way to accomplish this on iOS? Auto-Resume is a standard feature in apps like Tune-In Radio etc.

Thank you!

Steamywee
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Steamywee » 30 Apr 2017 00:41

Struggling to show subtitles in VLC on my iPad and just found this section after having posted here >
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p455900

Can anyone help me please?

IMAtechie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IMAtechie » 05 Dec 2017 13:04

Is there still no way to re-order albums?
Ordering files within folders seems to be covered off quite comprehensively, but I don't understand why there is no facility to change the folder order ...am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Carola
Developer
Developer

Postby Carola » 18 Jan 2018 19:24

Hey IMAtechie,

no you're not missing anything. This is sadly currently not possible.

Eka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Eka » 16 Feb 2018 21:38

Thank you for your help!
system;
Mac OS 10.6.8
iphone 6s ios 11.o.3
VLC ios 3.0.1

I want to add photos to my iphone 6s from Mac running 10.6.8 for uploading to Instagram.

Itunes incompatibility prevents me from transferring files with itunes.

I can't upgrade 10.6.8 as I have multiple applications that would then need upgrading and I like the versions I am using.

VLC ios seems a great alternative!

I downloaded VLC ios to iphone 6s from apple.
I have both Macbook Pro and iphone 6s on same network via Airport Express
I toggle the "share via WIFI" toggle and see two addresses;
http://10.0.1.2
http://iphone.local
I enter one of the address in a Firefox browser and get the VLC upload/download page
I drag a small size photo onto the upload portion of the page.
It seems to instantly upload the small (102KB) photo. Says 100% in top left corner.

But Media Library, All files, on iphone 6s still says empty.

I try both
http://10.0.1.2
http://iphone.local

I try drag and drop and navigation to file on Mac. All methods seem to upload file rapidly, 100% showing.

But Media Library, All files, on iphone 6s still says empty.

Questions;
Where are the files going?
Is there a setting on iphone 6s that is not correct?
any help greatly appreciated!!!

Eka

antonioortiz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby antonioortiz » 08 Aug 2018 18:48

How music videos can be played randomly on the AppleTV?

Thanks

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”