Can't build for iOS anymore

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can't build for iOS anymore

Postby jdkullmann » 17 Sep 2015 21:50

Several months ago I followed the instructions here ( https://wiki.videolan.org/IOSCompile/ ) and easily got VLC built for iOS and running on my device (iPhone 6)

I wanted an up to date version with AC3 support so I wiped and recloned the iOS git repo and can no longer get VLC built. I get VLCMediaKit errors, the same ones I've seen others post here about but have not seen any replies on what's wrong.

Can someone PLEASE the few steps involved to fetch and build VLC for iOS? I'll happily update the wiki or post new instructions if I can get the build to work.

I'm running 10.10.5 and the latest XCode 6.4

Thank you thank you thank you

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't build for iOS anymore

Postby jdkullmann » 17 Sep 2015 22:58

I don't have the output of the build handy but it's possible it was MobileVLCKit giving the build errors not VLCMediaKit, but my question remains the same: a few months ago a 'git clone' followed by the instructions on the IOSCompile page worked and now they don't.

tk_vlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tk_vlc » 17 Sep 2015 23:13

It seems there is no help for compile problems here. If you are not enough of a developer to figure it out from bad or incomplete instructions, you don't get to build it. I tried last month, posted on another thread, and was also unsuccessful.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=127987

Then when I saw that Felix answered other questions and passed over mine, I PM'd him for help and his only reply was NEVER PM A MODERATOR. I didn't see that in the rules of this forum.

Good Luck

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 17 Sep 2015 23:53

It seems there is no help for compile problems here. If you are not enough of a developer to figure it out from bad or incomplete instructions, you don't get to build it. I tried last month, posted on another thread, and was also unsuccessful.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=127987

Then when I saw that Felix answered other questions and passed over mine, I PM'd him for help and his only reply was NEVER PM A MODERATOR. I didn't see that in the rules of this forum.

Good Luck
Yeah it's too bad people here are either too busy to help or 'above' helping. I worked at Apple for 21 years writing the Mac OS (google me "JK Scheinberg Marklar" ) so I'm pretty much a developer. Silly me thinking that people here might like to take 2 minutes to help someone out and save me having to figure out something from scratch.

I'll figure it out and post (somewhere) the steps to getting and building VLC for iOS.

txia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby txia » 20 Sep 2015 16:01

In your first post:"recloned the iOS git repo ", but this is wrong for the latest compiling. The vlc ios code is not available via git now anymore.

Please check https://wiki.videolan.org/iOSCompile carefully. If you have ever visited this page, remember to reload it to get the latest version. You need to download the vlc ios source code according to the wiki page. Then follow the steps. I have just followed it days ago, and the compiling is successful.

The important changes for ios vlc: the source codes are not available via git, it only is provided version by version when a new version comes to App Store.

tk_vlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tk_vlc » 21 Sep 2015 20:40

I'll figure it out and post (somewhere) the steps to getting and building VLC for iOS.
Have you been able to make this work? Can you please share your results here?

As for the post by taxi, above, when I had tried, I downloaded the source from the location indicated, e.g. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html, but I still had the issue I had reported on the other thread.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 21 Sep 2015 22:43

I haven't had time to debug why it's failing but this is the failure I currently get following the iOSCompile instruction page while running the "sh compileVLCforiOS.sh -s -v" command. It's a pretty 'content-free' error message.

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
CompileC build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2Authentication.o OAuth2/GTMOAuth2Authentication.m normal i386 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
(1 failure)

The steps I did were
1) downloaded the three .gz files from this page http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html
VLC for iOS 2.6.5 source code
MediaLibraryKit 2.5.4 source code
MobileVLCKit 2.2.2-pre4 source code
2) unzipped them
3) cd'd into the VLC-iot.git directory and run sh compileVLCforiOS.sh -s -v

txia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby txia » 22 Sep 2015 09:25

For step #3, please try "sh compileVLCforiOS.sh -s" instead. I found sometimes the "-v" option will introduce some extra compiling issues.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 22 Sep 2015 12:09

I was previously trying without the '-v' and only added that to try to get more info about the failures I was seeing. I'll try once again w/o the '-v', thanks.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 23 Sep 2015 02:45

This is how the build fails now but there is no real info or error output from the compile so I can't really tell what the issue is

[info] Building MobileVLCKit (Aggregate static plugins, Release)
[info] Building MobileVLCKit (MobileVLCKit, Release)
[info] Build for iphonesimulator completed
[info] Building MobileVLCKit (Aggregate static plugins, Release)
[info] Building MobileVLCKit (MobileVLCKit, Release)
[info] Building MediaLibraryKit (MediaLibraryKit, Release)
[info] Building GTL (GTLTouchStaticLib, Release)
** BUILD FAILED **

CompileC build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2Authentication.o OAuth2/GTMOAuth2Authentication.m normal i386 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
(1 failure)

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 23 Sep 2015 03:32

built with '-v' and now I see a .h file is apparently missing

CompileC build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2SignIn.o OAuth2/GTMOAuth2SignIn.m normal i386 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
cd /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive
export LANG=en_US.US-ASCII
export PATH="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/local/bin:/Users/local/.ec2/bin"
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -x objective-c -arch i386 -fmessage-length=141 -fdiagnostics-show-note-include-stack -fmacro-backtrace-limit=0 -fcolor-diagnostics -std=c99 -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -Os -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-implicit-atomic-properties -Wno-arc-repeated-use-of-weak -Wno-missing-braces -Wparentheses -Wswitch -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-parameter -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wno-empty-body -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-shadow -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-conversion -Wno-constant-conversion -Wno-int-conversion -Wno-bool-conversion -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-shorten-64-to-32 -Wpointer-sign -Wno-newline-eof -Wno-selector -Wno-strict-selector-match -Wno-undeclared-selector -Wno-deprecated-implementations -DOBJC_OLD_DISPATCH_PROTOTYPES=0 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator9.0.sdk -fasm-blocks -fstrict-aliasing -Wprotocol -Wdeprecated-declarations -mios-simulator-version-min=6.1 -Wno-sign-conversion -fobjc-abi-version=2 -fobjc-legacy-dispatch -I/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/GTLTouchStaticLib.hmap -I/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/Release-iphonesimulator/include -I/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/DerivedSources -Wall -Werror -Wendif-labels -Wnewline-eof -Wfloat-equal -Wundeclared-selector -Wextra -Wstrict-overflow -Wconversion -Wformat=2 -Wformat-security -Wreorder -Wsign-promo -Wstrict-selector-match -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unknown-pragmas -F/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/Release-iphonesimulator -DGTL_IPHONE=1 -MMD -MT dependencies -MF /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2SignIn.d --serialize-diagnostics /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2SignIn.dia -c /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/OAuth2/GTMOAuth2SignIn.m -o /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/build/GTL.build/Release-iphonesimulator/GTLTouchStaticLib.build/Objects-normal/i386/GTMOAuth2SignIn.o
In file included from /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/OAuth2/GTMOAuth2SignIn.m:18:
In file included from /Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/OAuth2/GTMOAuth2SignIn.h:51:
/Users/local/VLC-iOS.git/ImportedSources/GDrive/OAuth2/GTMOAuth2Authentication.h:31:11: fatal error: 'GTMSessionFetcher.h' file not found
#import "GTMSessionFetcher.h"
^

** BUILD FAILED **

txia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby txia » 23 Sep 2015 06:46

It looks you are using iOS SDK 9.0 for compiling. Please check https://github.com/google/google-api-ob ... /issues/88

I only used iOS SDK 8.x to compile it.

txia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby txia » 23 Sep 2015 08:54

Just tried on the iOS SDK 9.0(Xcode 7.0), got the same compiling issue('GTMSessionFetcher.h' file not found).

Follow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3261 ... rray-found , changed the .h files to get the compiling work again.
Now "sh compileVLCforiOS.sh -s" is okay with Xcode 7.0 after the change on the .h files.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 29 Sep 2015 01:52

Txia - I got the simulator version built on Xcode 7.0 by making those edits - thanks. I'm now going to try to get it build for device and installed onto my iPad.

txia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby txia » 29 Sep 2015 06:37

Great! Device build is okay for me too. Just not tried to install it to the iDevice.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 29 Sep 2015 14:23

I managed to get through all the provisioning and watchkit extension issues and actually get the app installed on an iPad and have AC3 codec capability back again. Thanks for all the help.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 29 Sep 2015 17:14

Great to hear!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 29 Sep 2015 19:04

Well, I spoke a little too soon. The app seems to run fine from inside Xcode on my device but detached from Xcode it crashes. When I touch it to launch it on the iPad it immediately quits. I'll try debugging it to see what's happening but I'm hoping there is something I'm overlooking. As I said, months ago I managed to get a locally built version running fine on my device (I think it was around version 2.4.1 or something).

jhoward88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jhoward88 » 10 Oct 2015 21:54

After downloading the latest VLC-iOS version, un-tarring it and coping the full contents of the .git to a folder I named vlc-ios,
I then went to terminal ( Iterm2 with zsh) and did a pod install.
Then I ran the script like so: sh compileVLCforiOS.sh -s
It runs and then at the end says this:
** BUILD FAILED **
Libtool build/MobileVLCKit.build/Release-iphonesimulator/MobileVLCKit.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/libMobileVLCKit.a normal x86_64
Libtool build/MobileVLCKit.build/Release-iphonesimulator/MobileVLCKit.build/Objects-normal/i386/libMobileVLCKit.a normal i386
(2 failures)

If I don't do the pod install first I still get the same errors.
It sure looks like somehing is wrong with the script. I have no idea what to do at this point.
I'm running my Macbook Pro under OS-X Yosemite - most uptodate verison and xCode 7.

-Jerry

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 10 Oct 2015 22:13

Jerry - you need to make the edits to the two files shown above in this thread. After I did that I was able to build for the simulator with that shell script.

lis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lis » 13 Oct 2015 17:00

Hi jdkullmann

Sorry, could you explain me what two files must me edit please. Because I have the same error that Jerry..

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 13 Oct 2015 17:37

see the post up above by txia , but, here's the link to the discussion on the two files you need to edit to build with Xcode 7

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3261 ... rray-found

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”