VLC for iOS/tvOS 2.4.1 through 2.7.2 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
mattack
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS 2.4.1 and 2.5.0 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby mattack » 12 Jul 2015 03:57

Yeah, 2.6.2 no longer has the warning in the download info, but I presume it's still missing. I'd pay $.99, and maybe more, for a new iOS version that fixes a few bugs that I reported that STILL plays the files I want to play... (Downloads from my TiVo, things like reality shows & documentaries that I watch faster than realtime with VLC.. But I'm stuck with the old version...)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Jul 2015 10:45

Yeah, 2.6.2 no longer has the warning in the download info, but I presume it's still missing. I'd pay $.99, and maybe more, for a new iOS version that fixes a few bugs that I reported that STILL plays the files I want to play... (Downloads from my TiVo, things like reality shows & documentaries that I watch faster than realtime with VLC.. But I'm stuck with the old version...)
Dolby refuses to license it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Programmdude
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Programmdude » 16 Jul 2015 20:13

I would personally like a build on the ftp with this Ac3 enabled, just provide two copies, one with it disabled that is uploaded onto itunes, the other that has it enabled uploaded onto the ftp server. That way apple can do what it likes, and everyone else can enjoy videos on their ipads.

vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlciosdts » 25 Jul 2015 20:50

The FTP way you're describing will not work due to jailbreaks getting more infrequent.

Just use DTS and ditch Dolby and Apple products. It's surprising either or both Dolby and Apple did this, but since a better alternative is available there isn't much loss.

DTS is better than Dolby AC3 on paper and in actual use (at least most of the time, dependent on mastering).

And while MKVs are better than MP4s on paper, in actual use they are pretty much the same with MP4 having a bit higher device compatibility.

Unfortunately DTS in MP4s doesn't work on VLC/iOS and might never due to the devs not looking into the bug.

bob5215
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bob5215 » 26 Jul 2015 02:45

Really? Not even under their normal licensing scheme?

I know there's an upfront cost, though I have no doubt it could be easily paid for using a kickstarter campaign to add this feature to VLC.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jul 2015 10:12

Yes, because we are open source. Which is a violation of their promises to authorities of having FRAND licensing of their patents.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

bob5215
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bob5215 » 26 Jul 2015 16:49

Yes, because we are open source. Which is a violation of their promises to authorities of having FRAND licensing of their patents.
Oh, OK, that's too bad.

I guess the only consolation is that the AC-3 patent will expire in 22 months. I believe Dolby derives most of their revenues from this patent which I suppose is why they so vigorously defend it.

The EAC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus) patent expires 5 years later but it's mostly used in specialty applications rather than broadcast.

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 29 Jul 2015 05:26

I thought FRAND was a requirement to license to everyone at reasonable terms. Is there no way to have an optional non-open source plugin with an ios app?

jonfrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jonfrost » 02 Sep 2015 00:49

I can understand not playing ac3 tracks, but... Why does vlc just error out when the content contains both aac and ac3 tracks? Why won't it play the aac and ignore the ac3?
Agreed - what about this?

I have a video encoded with AC3 and AAC - so why doesn't it just fallback to my AAC downmix track or just play without audio (as it probably should for anything where the codec is not available).

I did some testing:-
  • If I close the "Codec not supported" message and quickly select the AAC track, it will play audio the audio, but after a few seconds it still cancels the playback. Basically, any attempt to decode AC3 kills the playback.
  • The workaround: if I recode the stream with the AAC stream as the primary audio stream , it works fine (but I don't really want to recode everything, AC3 is the primary track for many US systems)

mattack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mattack » 17 Oct 2015 02:53

Wasn't there another thread that said there was going to be a "workaround" for this issue?

I'm still using the old version because of this issue.. But noticed another problem. I tried downloading shows from my Tivo (which I then play in VLC on my iPad faster-than-realtime, the main reason I use VLC) in Transport Stream format. Those files play on my Mac in Quicktime Player with audio, but those files transferred to my iPad with the _old_ version of VLC play with no audio. Strange. The reason for downloading in Transport Stream is that the download is significantly faster.

So for now I'm just going to not use Transport Stream format. But basically, ignoring the AC-3 issue, is VLC supposed to support Transport Stream format video?

Sorry, I know this is mostly a tangent, but it's a pain to get back to the old VLC, and AFAIK I don't have any NON-AC3 recordings to just try the current VLC version with.

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 25 Nov 2015 04:50

Never thought I would say this, but Kodi seems like a better player than the current vlc, particularly on IOS and over DLNA. They have come up with a way to side-load that is still convoluted and needs a mac with xcode7 but doesn't require a full local compile: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245978.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 25 Nov 2015 18:48

Thanks for this link. As far as I know, you should be able to use a similar procedure with VLC for iOS. We provide unsigned ipk packages as well on our website, so there should be no need to recompile the code. You just need to find a way to correctly sign those bundles.

ssbmaccom
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
Operating System: Mac OS, iOS, tvOS

Postby ssbmaccom » 26 Nov 2015 18:02

Not sure, but it should be possible to use the codesign tool with a developer certificate, which you can get without being charged for the paid developer program. Then uploading it to a non-jailbreaked device should also be possible via Xcode- not sure about this. Anyway - these internal Developer signed Apps have to be refresehd after 60 (or 90) days, sothe App has to be removed and re-installed after re-signing it. Not really handsome.

Anyway - as I am new to this forum I went through the posts here - for me Dolby is not specifically targeting iOS Apps or mobile Apps in general while neglecting Desktop Applications with their AC3 licensing thing. On a Desktop machine you can install VLC including AC3 from any source, usually the VLC homepage. There is no chance to have control on this. Even if the "official" Desktop VLC version would come without AC3 some day, there will be plenty of websites, where you can get VLC with AC3 support. Or simply the plugin and instructions, where to place it.

If VLC of OS X would have been published through the AppStore ONLY (no direct download) then it may get targeted as well. On iOS there is no "offical" source except the AppStore to install VLC and it is hard to add the plugin as you do not have access to the file system. Jailbroken iDevices get more rare nowadays. And Dolby told Apple, there are Apps using AC3 codec without a license granted. Then Apple followed the GuideLines and removed Apps, with "illegal" contents - and it has to be legal in the US. This is why Apple has removed VLC from the store and gently allowed it again,after AC3 codec has been removed.

And why is Android and Windows Phone not affected? Well almost all Android devices get rooted, so you can side-load APKs with AC3 included - there is no real control, so maybe Dolby gave up on it. And Windows Phone is potentially just too small to put efforts into it.

Just too bad,Dolby won't allow it for licensed IAP. But in this case maybe the GPL/LGPL license may cause their concerns. VLC with AC3 would be a derived product of VLC w/out AC3 -and therefore VLC and the AC3 have to be Open Source. Dolby may not like this. And IAP does not allow to download additional contents (like a plugin) it just allows to enable or disable features. So it is not possible to add the plugin as binary to an installed version of VLC without AC3. The plugin has to be part of VLC already, and due to the (L)GPL-license it may not be closed source.

But indeed - FRAND should imply, that they have to give the license for AC3 with reasonable terms and negotiate with you, what terms and royalties (business model) is serving both parties the best. Just a NO because VLC is OpenSource does not sound like they even try to be cooperating in settling this. I think, just don't give up on this with Dolby, at least until these efforts cost money (lawyer etc.)- and at this point crowd-funding could be helpful.

Ted13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ted13 » 07 Dec 2015 17:41

Oh, OK, that's too bad.

I guess the only consolation is that the AC-3 patent will expire in 22 months. I believe Dolby derives most of their revenues from this patent which I suppose is why they so vigorously defend it.
Well 22 months is good news (sort of).

But as another TiVo user (mostly music performers from late night talk shows - Fallon etc. etc.) I'd love to find an alternative for the next 22+ months. I googled and the best iPad AC3 supporting App seems to be Infuse 3 (or Pro or 4) but while they do support AC3, they don't support MPEG-2 video (.mpeg or .mpg), which what comes from TiVo. They say: "Play more video formats (MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, M4V, MOV, MTS, FLV, OGM, OGV, ASF, 3GP, DVR-MS, WebM, WTV)"

Any other suggestions?

mattack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mattack » 13 Jan 2016 03:30

Just to make it clear -- this issue affects the Apple TV version too, right? I presume it must. So maybe the thread title should be updated.

(BTW, Tivo finally added a play-faster-than-realtime functionality, which I am using a lot.. but it only speeds up by 30%. That's enough of a boost for a short talk show segment, for an entire show, I'd still probably download and watch via VLC if this worked..)

henrixg
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS/tvOS 2.4.1 through 2.7.2 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby henrixg » 19 Jan 2016 00:04

Hi, I'm new on this forum and with the apple tv, I did upload 2 movies with same spec AAC, but one have sound and the other one don't, can anyone help me why this happens?

Thx.

MattLx
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS/tvOS 2.4.1 through 2.7.2 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby MattLx » 23 Jan 2016 23:13

The licensing all makes sense and I'll pay any reasonable in-app fee to get AC3 support. Most of my files have AC3 so I can't use the app until something changes. Regardless, I donated a little $ today just to help the team.

My question: Anyone here know the simplest way to convert an MKV with AC3 to some audio format that will currently work on VLC on ATV - preferably a compatible 5.1 format. I know the basics of EAC3TO and FFMPEG and prefer to use either one of those. I'm just not experienced enough to know the parameters to use for this workflow.

Thanks,
Matt

MattLx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MattLx » 26 Jan 2016 12:37

While I know Handbrake can transform any file for ATV3, for some reason I wanted another option. I found Smart Converter Pro 2 in the App Store and that seems to work really well - until VLC can read MKV with AC3. That's not a sale for the app - honestly I have no connection to it. There's a free version too. I paid for the Pro version just so I could expose a couple additional options like choosing a destination for the file, NOT having the resulting file imported into iTunes, and assigning the ATV button to the ATV3 format settings (vs. ATV1 or ATV2). The app converts my HD MKV (w/ AC3) files to ATV3 compatible MP4 files in approximately 30 seconds. The quick speed makes me think the video is not being transcoded in the process.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 28 Jan 2016 07:37

You might try the free App "Subler" as well. As far as I know, it does pretty much the same (remuxing without transcoding), and can convert AC3 to AAC as well.

TheHistorian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TheHistorian » 28 Jan 2016 19:46

Licensing seems to be out, and waiting for the patent to expire is a ways off. Okay.

So what can we do in the meantime? I bought an Apple TV a couple weeks ago based on the VLC app announcement, but many of my files are useless because of this audio issue. (Also waiting on the SMB fix, but that seems to be progressing)

Is there anything to be done other than using Handbrake or equivalent to convert the audio on every movie I want to watch? That's time consuming, but I guess if it's the only option...

MattLx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MattLx » 28 Jan 2016 20:24

I was wondering if I had the files in VLC Streamer on a Mac, is there a way to make VLC on ATV connect to it, see the list of files, and stream one. I couldn't figure it out but I have too rudimentary an understanding of the various connectivity features of VLC on ATV.

DonWryBoutIt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DonWryBoutIt » 17 Feb 2016 17:35

Until VLC can figure something out to get us AC3 support on iOS/tvOS there are two apps that need mentioning (Infuse 4 and Plex), that are IMHO the best apps available for consuming mobile video.

Best Local Media App: Infuse 4 Pro by developer FireCore
They have a free version of Infuse that you can try, but you will need to spend $9.99 for the Pro version to get AC3 support. That allows them to cover the cost of Dolby licensing. It is available for both iOS and the Apple TV 4 and has a ton of great features.

Best Remote Media App: Plex
Plex is A free way to stream video/audio to your iOS device or Apple TV. Setup to allow remote access can be a little tricky, but there are tons of tutorials online. Once it is set up it is a beautifully simple way to organize and stream content. While different in scope than VLC or Infuse, I thought it was worth mentioning becasue it is the easiest way to consume content on a mobile device if you have an internet connection. They do offer the ability to sync content from the server (aka home PC, NAS, etc) to your mobile device (necessary for playback without an internet connection), but this feature requires a paid Plex Pass subscription.

I still love VLC and use it exclusively on my home desktop and until AC3 was removed was my go to for local video playback on my mobile devices. Hopefully, they will be able to figure something out to get AC3 back, but until then I recommend the above apps.

ivanr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ivanr » 17 Mar 2016 00:03

VLC has to do nothing. AC3 decoding needs a license, and for that you need to pay.

A workaround is to convert the AC3 audio to AAC.
A description about this can be found here: http://ivanrf.com/en/convert-unsupporte ... rom-video/

JTravers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JTravers » 22 Mar 2016 05:15

Does the fact that iOS 9.3 now includes Dolby Digital Plus change anything for VLC?
http://www.imore.com/ios-93-brings-more ... us-support

DudeSwiftCocoa
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows, Mac OS, iOS

Postby DudeSwiftCocoa » 31 Mar 2016 07:18

Does the fact that iOS 9.3 now includes Dolby Digital Plus change anything for VLC?
http://www.imore.com/ios-93-brings-more ... us-support
Supports means it can run the technology not that iOS 9.3 includes the Dolby Licence

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”