Doesn't work: DTS in MP4

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Doesn't work: DTS in MP4

Postby vlciosdts » 23 Jul 2015 20:23

Hi, I think the MP4 spec supports DTS, ffmpeg muxes (multiplexes) h264/AVC and DTS-audio streams into MP4s fine, and VLC/Windows plays these DTS in MP4s fine.

However, VLC/iOS doesn't play DTS in MP4s, the video plays, the audio doesn't play at all (some crackles and pops here and there, is the DTS bitstream being played as PCM?).

Please fix this because VLC/iOS doesn't support AC3, however AC3 sucks when compared to DTS, so once this is working VLC will be good on iOS again.

Thanks.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Doesn't work: DTS in MP4

Postby fkuehne » 24 Jul 2015 13:26

VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlciosdts » 24 Jul 2015 19:14

How about you try muxing your own h264/AVC and DTS-audio streams into a MP4 and see if it plays on VLC/iOS? It won't work and then my time won't be wasted uploading something you can do for yourself. Please don't make me waste time for something I *know* you can reproduce on your own.

This is a big bug because the same streams that are in the MP4 play fine when muxed as a MKV on VLC/iOS. And as a said previously, the same MP4 with DTS-audio stream plays fine on other media players including VLC/Windows.

It's your choice if you want to ignore this bug report.

Verkackt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Verkackt
Operating System: Verkackt

Postby Verkackt » 24 Jul 2015 19:54

How about you try muxing your own h264/AVC and DTS-audio streams into a MP4 and see if it plays on VLC/iOS? It won't work and then my time won't be wasted uploading something you can do for yourself. Please don't make me waste time for something I *know* you can reproduce on your own.

This is a big bug because the same streams that are in the MP4 play fine when muxed as a MKV on VLC/iOS. And as a said previously, the same MP4 with DTS-audio stream plays fine on other media players including VLC/Windows.

It's your choice if you want to ignore this bug report.
Not good idea. Please upload file is very easy. You can upload on your cloud. No file = No bug fixes :D
Verkackt

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Jul 2015 22:53

Please don't make me waste time for something I *know* you can reproduce on your own.
We do need the sample file which doesn't work for you.

So please, upload a short sample of a problematic file to either http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or to Zippyshare.com (200 MB max) and then post the link to the file here.

vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlciosdts » 25 Jul 2015 02:35

You really should create your own sample, how lazy are you?

If your own sample works, how about you provide it and I will test it.

It's fine if you don't want to fix this huge bug, but I figure since you develop VLC/iOS you would want it to be the best it can be, especially with AC3 pulled.

DTS forever!

Thanks.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 25 Jul 2015 10:22

It's not about laziness here. You have a broken sample. All you need to do is using our uploader, which is running on a server accessible by core developers of VLC only. If you need absolute privacy, we can offer that, too.

However, if I start doing my own sample file, I need to search for a DTS track (I don't have any), mux it and hope that I receive an as broken file as you already have, which is not guaranteed. Further, I'd spend an hour or two on creating a sample file you already have, hours I could spend on fixing other issues in VLC or add new features, while it costs you 3 clicks to upload the file.

Further, we don't owe you anything. We provide the result of our spare time work for free for you to use. If you like it, great, if you want to help to make it better, awesome, if you don't like it and don't want to help, well, too bad.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 25 Jul 2015 15:20

You really should create your own sample, how lazy are you?
We want YOUR sample file.

Is it hard to understand ?

vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlciosdts » 25 Jul 2015 20:36

You don't need my sample to test this bug nor should you even ask for it.

The information I provided is enough for you to do initial triage on this bug, but you choosing not to.

Instead you could provide your sample and tell me that it works, but you can't, because I'm almost 100% sure the VLC intenal splitter is not detecting the DTS stream correctly in MP4 (as opposed to MKV).

And you're telling me the VLC development teams doesn't already have test steams for test suites to detect regressions?

Verkackt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Verkackt
Operating System: Verkackt

Postby Verkackt » 25 Jul 2015 21:50

With my testfile no problem http://1drv.ms/1TZNdsj

We need more info please:
- iPhone/iPad iOS 8.4?
- VLC iOS 2.6.2?
- MediaInfo from your file!

So now upload your testfile. You can not upload your file, because file to great? OMG use please video cutter.
Verkackt

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jul 2015 10:19

You don't need my sample to test this bug nor should you even ask for it.
Yes, we DO need it.
The information I provided is enough for you to do initial triage on this bug, but you choosing not to.
No, it's not.
And you're telling me the VLC development teams doesn't already have test steams for test suites to detect regressions?
Of course we do.

Why are you so difficult, seriously? Why are you so annoying? Do you want a fix? If yes, just give us your file.

We NEED YOUR SAMPLE, BECAUSE OUR SAMPLES WORK FINE. How else can we tell you?

And the proof is Verkackt sample.

Your sample is probably encoded and muxed with a different application, that is non-standard, so we need it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlciosdts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlciosdts » 13 Aug 2015 22:54

With my testfile no problem http://1drv.ms/1TZNdsj

We need more info please:
- iPhone/iPad iOS 8.4?
- VLC iOS 2.6.2?
- MediaInfo from your file!

So now upload your testfile. You can not upload your file, because file to great? OMG use please video cutter.
Hi, thank you for the sample, the major differences I can see are:

with MediaInfo:
Format Profile: yours is 'Base Media / Version 2', the faulty one is 'Base Media'
Codec ID: yours is 'mp42', the faulty one is 'isom'

with ffmpeg:
major_brand: yours is mp42, the faulty one is 'isom'
compatible_brands: yours is 'isomiso2avc1mp41', the faulty one is 'isomiso2mp41'

I know it's been a while, however DTS in MP4s are still not working for me and I'm still looking into this.

Could it be that your sample is muxed with Handbrake and the faulty MP4s are muxed with ffmpeg. Please remember vlc/Windows and MPC-HC detects and plays these (faulty) MP4s fine.

I looked into how to mux with Handbrake CLI, but I don't think it's possible.

Lastly, I tried to see if other MP4 muxers allow settings the metadata fields mentioned above and I can't see how.

The next step is to re-encode the MP4 with Handbrake (with DTS pass-through) and see if the output MP4 plays in VLC/iOS on jailbroken iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4 and vlc v.2.6.4 (downloaded from the App Store).

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”