iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
TheBigTime001
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.9-3.0git
Operating System: Fedora Xfce

VLC for iOS/tvOS 2.4.1 through 2.7.2 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby TheBigTime001 » 24 Mar 2015 04:16

For all those complaining about VLC's sudden inability to play AC3 audio after the update to 2.4.1, here is the reason behind this:
VLC 2.3.0 was taken down from the App Store because the support of AC3 Audio was done without proper Dolby licencing (Dolby owns the relevant patents). Therefore, to fix the problem, the VLC app had to be crippled in this area to meet Apple's Terms and Conditions. AC3 Audio playback is something that Apple won't tolerate unless proper licencing fees are paid out to Dolby. So, to fix this, VideoLAN is looking into going the in-app purchase route (it has been suggested at USD 0.99 to unlock) for enabling AC3 functionality. This should explain why this audio playback cannot currently be present in VLC for iOS. This info is cobbled together from various explanations given on the forum.
If we can simulate real life so accurately, then isn't our reality maybe just one great big simulation as well?
Please don't use PMs for support questions.

umrashrf
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS 2.4.1 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby umrashrf » 24 Mar 2015 15:58

Can you provide unofficial version with AC3 enabled? I mean by uploading .ipa of unofficial version which does support AC3 decoding at http://get.videolan.org/vlc-iOS/2.4.1/

chinese_ys
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chinese_ys » 25 Mar 2015 17:46

For all those complaining about VLC's sudden inability to play AC3 audio after the update to 2.4.1, here is the reason behind this:
VLC 2.3.0 was taken down from the App Store because the support of AC3 Audio was done without proper Dolby licencing (Dolby owns the relevant patents). Therefore, to fix the problem, the VLC app had to be crippled in this area to meet Apple's Terms and Conditions. AC3 Audio playback is something that Apple won't tolerate unless proper licencing fees are paid out to Dolby. So, to fix this, VideoLAN is looking into going the in-app purchase route (it has been suggested at USD 0.99 to unlock) for enabling AC3 functionality. This should explain why this audio playback cannot currently be present in VLC for iOS. This info is cobbled together from various explanations given on the forum.
Okey, is there an ETA for the in-app purchase? I should be able to afford $0.99 as far as it is perpetual (no like others charging once for version 2.4 and again for version 3.)

TheBigTime001

Postby TheBigTime001 » 25 Mar 2015 23:08

There is no concrete date yet, as far as I know. It is being looked into, and that is all I know thus far.
If we can simulate real life so accurately, then isn't our reality maybe just one great big simulation as well?

Lalaiandro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lalaiandro » 25 Mar 2015 23:24

There is no concrete date yet, as far as I know. It is being looked into, and that is all I know thus far.
Not good idea. Best is add custom codec. The User download the custom codec from VLC website and import with iTunes file sharing to VLC iOS library. VLC iOS must then read the custom codec. Done concept :)

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 26 Mar 2015 07:26

Unfortunately this is not allowed by the App Store guidelines.

TheBigTime001

Postby TheBigTime001 » 26 Mar 2015 13:21

Indeed. This would be circumventing Apple's developer TOS with hidden or external data which not only would run afoul of Apple's rules, but quite possibly be illegal. Just because the VideoLAN team desires to save its users money doesn't mean it can break the law for them. If this playback is to be enabled, licencing and all fees required is the only choice. Also, if we go your suggested route and use hidden data, there is a good chance Apple would not be near as forgiving as they were last time.

aidalai
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aidalai » 26 Mar 2015 21:18

I think to pay 0,99 or similar is nothing for the best player. Good idea. :)

So then... the modders were lying when said "It's Apple fault, next time buy Android". If its a problem about patents its a legal think.

nightkrwlr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nightkrwlr » 27 Mar 2015 12:36

Thanks for the information. But what's the situation with other versions of VLC (for desktop, Android, Windows Phone, etc)? Are the licensing fees paid to Dolby for these versions? What's exactly different with iOS?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 28 Mar 2015 09:29

Dolby was targeting all iOS apps in the last months, almost every app was forced to remove AC3 support. Ask Dolby why iOS, and not other app stores (or maybe don't ask, it's better. :-) )

nightkrwlr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nightkrwlr » 28 Mar 2015 13:20

So AC3 isn't properly licensed in the other VLC versions (including desktop) as well and you could be forced to drop AC3 support there too?

TheBigTime001

Postby TheBigTime001 » 28 Mar 2015 14:43

Perhaps Google and Microsoft either do not care or simply haven't noticed this legal issue yet. What is strange is that VLC desktop has supported AC3 for years and Dolby hasn't done one thing about it yet. Maybe because there's too large a swath of PC users and OSes to target effectively? But still, you're not going to see AC3 support unless you either downgrade to VLC 2.3.0 or wait for the team to sort this whole licencing mess out. So, sorry, but either we've got to wait for the patent on AC3 to expire or use in-app purchase money to placate Dolby's legal department.

nightkrwlr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS 2.4.1 and 2.5.0 can't yet support AC3 Audio- here's why

Postby nightkrwlr » 28 Mar 2015 15:21

OK, I get that. What I don't understand: In the other thread you guys wrote, that Apple and Adobe are to blame for the missing AC3 support in VLC for iOS. However it seems to be your fault, because it wasn't licensed properly (as it seems to be with the other VLC versions as well). Just for the record: I'm not complaining about the missing AC3 support and I completely unterstand that you can't pay the licensing fees for every download on your own (I hope there is going to be an in app purchase and I think that would be a fair model). I'm just disappointed in the way you're communicating this.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 28 Mar 2015 16:10

We announced the removal of the codecs in our release notes on the website, my blog and within the App Store. This is all we could do. Since the app was removed by Apple from the store for months before the update, we couldn't do an in-app notification about the removal of the codecs prior to the update. So, I'm not sure how we could have communicated better in this regard.

Regarding distribution of VLC for desktops: VLC for desktops is distributed from Europe and no single patent holder ever complained. VLC for iOS however is distributed from California (even if you download it from a non-US store) so US law applies and Dolby sent a DMCA take-down notice. Why Dolby is not targeting competing mobile platforms? No idea.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 28 Mar 2015 23:21

I can understand not playing ac3 tracks, but... Why does vlc just error out when the content contains both aac and ac3 tracks? Why won't it play the aac and ignore the ac3?

nightkrwlr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nightkrwlr » 29 Mar 2015 00:14

@Felix Paul Kuehne:
I'm just curious why some of your staff members wrote that Apple and Dolby are to blame for this. It's not the fault of Dolby that VideoLAN didn't license the codec properly and can't pay the necessary fees on it's own (and as I already said: that's not a bad thing per se and an IAP seems like a fair business model). At the most it seems unfair that they don't enforce their rights on other platforms as well… On the other hand, you (and all of us) can be happy that they don't. So I don't really see a reason why to blame them – they have the intellectual property, they can decide whom to send DMCA take-downs to. Probably iOS seems to be the most lucrative platform for them (because of the large spread and the closed system).

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 29 Mar 2015 22:49

It's not the fault of Dolby that VideoLAN didn't license the codec properly...
Not all of the world considers software to be patentable. It is Apple and Dolby forcing US law interpretation on everyone.

TheKingLives
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TheKingLives » 06 Apr 2015 02:05

I would gladly pay any amount for full codec support. @OP, please keep us updated on a potential date for this in-app purchase.

umrashrf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby umrashrf » 11 Apr 2015 18:49

I think it's more of Apple's fault than any other. You wonder why? This is because when you bought an iDevice, you paid good sum of money for it and you didn't get what you paid for.

Comparing it to Microsoft and Google for Android, they must have settled the license issue for their whole operating system by bundling it into so application developers can use the codec without violating licenses. It's not the application where this codec is supposed to be but the operating system.

domin8r
New Cone
New Cone

Postby domin8r » 13 Apr 2015 11:23

I think it's more of Apple's fault than any other. You wonder why? This is because when you bought an iDevice, you paid good sum of money for it and you didn't get what you paid for.

Comparing it to Microsoft and Google for Android, they must have settled the license issue for their whole operating system by bundling it into so application developers can use the codec without violating licenses. It's not the application where this codec is supposed to be but the operating system.
I don't think Apple has the desire to "fix this". VLC is a competitor for their overpriced iTunes movies. They will do what they "have to" but they are not going out of their way to facilitate things like AC3 playback.

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 29 Apr 2015 00:30

What I don't understand is why you are expected to pay for a codec over and over again for each app separately on any piece of hardware. If you get a dvd/blu-ray player it comes with a license for the device, not just one disc publisher. Apple must take a cut of the action.

TheBigTime001

Postby TheBigTime001 » 04 Jun 2015 18:02

What I don't understand is why you are expected to pay for a codec over and over again for each app separately on any piece of hardware. If you get a dvd/blu-ray player it comes with a license for the device, not just one disc publisher. Apple must take a cut of the action.
It doesn't work quite like that. DVDs and BluRay players use volume licencing and royalties to pay the necessary licence expenses. When ever there's a sale of such a player, royalties go into effect and a small % of the purchase price is paid to the relevant companies. With software, however, it's different, especially for a company like VideoLAN, which is more of a non-profit than anything else. If it wants to pay fees, it (obviously) cannot afford a constant royalty scheme. It must instead do a per-purchase licence fee, which should be enough to satisfy Dolby. Also, royalties can't work as VLC is (obviously) free. Plus, Dolby is bound and subject to the same United States licencing laws that (in)directly affect so many other people due to companies (such as Apple) having their primary business offices in the US.

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 13 Jun 2015 18:41

I understand why VLC doesn't provide licensing. What I don't understand is how Dolby can demand a separate payment for each application instead of just one for the device. Do blu-ray and tv manufactures pay extra for each application they add? Or do A/V receivers pay per input port? It seems very unfair first to trap content with a patented encoding and then to demand multiple payments just for different ways to play it on the same device.

aidalai
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aidalai » 03 Jul 2015 02:57

So then... Arenyou going to put the AC3 like an in app purchase finally, guys? Thanks.

amedeop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amedeop » 06 Jul 2015 13:04

any news for AC3 audio? what about it in new release 2.6.0?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”