Why was VLC removed from Apple App Store

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Why was VLC removed from Apple App Store

Postby NewtownGuy » 21 Oct 2014 02:59

Why was VLC removed from the Apple App Store ? Will it return ? In the meantime, can it be obtained elsewhere ?

cuki3r3k83bln
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Why was VLC removed from Apple App Store

Postby cuki3r3k83bln » 22 Oct 2014 12:24

Have the same question. Few months ago it was available in the german app store but now it isn't anymore :-( Forgot to make backup and now it's gone :-(

asoksevil
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby asoksevil » 23 Oct 2014 15:53

Have the same question. Few months ago it was available in the german app store but now it isn't anymore :-( Forgot to make backup and now it's gone :-(
You can download it from the main page.

SweetNix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SweetNix » 23 Oct 2014 17:24

You can download it from the main page.
Excuse my bad English. For people who want install the app on the app-store it isn't a solution to download the vlc version over the main page and install it with a dubios tool. Therefor I have the same Question: Will it return or should I forget vlc on the iPad for the next time?

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 24 Oct 2014 18:13

Someone told me to get it from techspot.com, but that doesn't work. There are two links, one to the Apple App Store, which does not have it, and one to Jailbroken. The latter gives you an ipa file, but you can't install it unless your device is jailbroken.

Why was it removed from the Apple App Store, and why can't we download a non-jailbroken version from somewhere else ?

SweetNix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SweetNix » 24 Oct 2014 23:50

...why can't we download a non-jailbroken version from somewhere else ?
To install an app on IOS in another way than over the app-store from Apple you have to jailbreak your phone or pad. This is the only possibility i know. Apple said that is more safe but I think that is also their buisiness-plan and they participate in every app.
Last edited by SweetNix on 25 Oct 2014 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 25 Oct 2014 01:09

Having to jailbreak an Apple device makes VLC on Apple worthless ! Can someone recommend an alternative ? We need to view live H.264 http (not rtsp) streams, and view MP4/H.264 video files.

andropov007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andropov007 » 26 Oct 2014 09:27

Does anybody know why it was removed from non-US iOS stores? I can see that it is available in the US store, but I don't have it in the Hungary store and judging from the forum posts it not really available anywhere else. Is this on purpose?

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 26 Oct 2014 13:44

Not in US either, which is the crux of my question.
[–]luserppc 19 points 1 month ago
I've been on IRC for two days asking about this. There are also three forum post about this, talking about how VLC is no longer in the US, Canadian, and Brazilian iOS app store. The best guess(!) we have now is that the dev's finished 2.4 and it's waiting for Apple's approval. That all being said, I'm still feeling very unnerved by this, also the dev's have been eerily silent on this. I understand most VLC devs are in Europe, so the hours they're active on IRC are different than mine, but #videolan has been a freaking ghost town for two days now :/

d4rklyni
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d4rklyni » 30 Oct 2014 10:01

Try this ( with ipad / iphone ) : http://install.diawi.com/jWd2XB
I upload .ipa on http://diawi.com/
but i'm not sure it work...
GL&HF

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 30 Oct 2014 15:17

Thank you. I will try the link.

But, does a user have to jailbreak his Apple device to load software from anywhere other than the Apple App Store ? If so, how easy is it to un-jailbreak an Apple device if one needs Apple to service it ?

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 30 Oct 2014 17:06

Can VLC Streamer be used instead ? It's on the Apple App Store. It's intended for streaming video from a PC to an iDevice, so I don't know if it can open http live H.264 streams and MP4/H.264 recorded files from elsewhere.

Separately, if there's a plan to restore VLC Media Player to the Apple App Store, someone please speak up !

stevebow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevebow » 04 Nov 2014 11:34

I notice the recent VLC Streamer update notes "At the request of Dolby, the built-in vlc player no longer supports Dolby audio codecs". I wonder if there's a licensing issue here that caused the player app to be pulled from the App Store?

guycruls
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby guycruls » 09 Nov 2014 00:53

VLC for ipad was awesome - streaming videos from any folder or subfolder on dropbox, without having to download.
I was reminded of it the other day, and have been uploading videos to dropbox for viewing over Wi-Fi.
Suddenly, there was an error today - the video froze, and I couldn't get VLC to shake itself out of it.
I did the usual: uninstalled with the intent to reinstall. tough luck: VLC is not on the app store any more.
I guess VLC was a thorn in the side of money makers?

doodsp
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows

Postby doodsp » 19 Feb 2015 12:30

removed? how so ??
Vivian - London - 25
Brazil - São Paulo - CEO aplique adesivos

NewtownGuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NewtownGuy » 19 Feb 2015 14:47

VLC Media Player for iOS was removed last Fall from the Apple App Store. There are numerous other VLC apps, but not VLC Media Player, on the Apple App Store. In general, there are numerous media players that can play H.264/MP4 files, but I need to view live H.264, http (not rtsp) streams. After months of looking, I still cannot find anything to do this. Can someone help me ?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”