VLC for iOS not found in app store (in Canada and USA)

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
catzman
New Cone
New Cone

VLC for iOS not found in app store (in Canada and USA)

Postby catzman » 18 Sep 2014 05:36

Having not found VLC in the store, I downloaded it directly from the website, added it to my iTunes 11.4.0.18, tried to get it installed to my iPad 4 with iOS 8. Seems to not want to install. iTunes says it's installing, my screen says it's installing, but after leaving it for around 10 minutes or so, nothing happens. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it a glitch because of iOS 8?

nic507
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS not found in app store (in Canada and USA)

Postby nic507 » 18 Sep 2014 16:44

Had the same problem with my iphone. I don't think you can use an .ipa file online? I think it has to be linked to your itunes account? when I tried to use an online source, same thing happened to me. It would load on to my phone, say it's installing and do noting, tried this numerous times.

Finally I remembered I had VLC on my iPad, so connected my Ipad, transferred purchases and then copied the file from the app library over to my iphone. This process seems to have worked for me. I've only loaded the app up but haven't used it to play anything yet. So far it looks ok and looks just like before.

Do you have any other ios devices that have VLC on them? The app is the same for iphone, ipad and ipod touch. If you do just do what I did, delete the downloaded VLC file from your app library in itunes, transfer your purchases, VLC will show up in you app library, then copy the file over to your ipad.

Only alternative I can think of is doing the same thing with a friends device/VLC app, logging in to their itunes account or maybe try and see if family sharing will work for it?

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 22 Sep 2014 21:02

Yes, can someone else tell me what's the issue? I can't find VLC in the appstore. It says it's not available in the U.S.? Is this true?

KingRial
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KingRial » 23 Sep 2014 10:19

It seems true... the same happens for Italy.

VideoBinary
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VideoBinary » 25 Sep 2014 09:41

It happens in Australia as well after deleting it after upgrading I went to my Purchaces but it was not in there I then searched the App Store and it didn't show up. Maybe it has not been made avalible on iOS 8 or doesn't have support yet for iOS 8. I am just going to have to wait until something happens :(

caraprince
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caraprince » 25 Sep 2014 10:06

VLC is gone in Taiwan, too. But I found a player named "Dragon Video Player" which is built using VLC. FYI. :D

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 25 Sep 2014 19:38

VLC is gone in Taiwan, too. But I found a player named "Dragon Video Player" which is built using VLC. FYI. :D
Umm... that's a $40 app... no way in hell i'm paying $40 for an app.

redcurl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redcurl » 26 Sep 2014 02:24

Dragon video player works perfect, i am streaming music without problems, layout is same as vlc. Running on iPad 3 with ios 8.0

And it is free.....!!!

caraprince
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caraprince » 26 Sep 2014 02:29

Umm... that's a $40 app... no way in hell i'm paying $40 for an app.
There's a free version of Dragon Video Player, but I don't know what's the difference between the 2 versions.

redmondChris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redmondChris » 26 Sep 2014 07:15

Is there a definitive answer for why VLC for iOS is not available now in some locales, and when that might be fixed?

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 26 Sep 2014 23:49

There's a free version of Dragon Video Player, but I don't know what's the difference between the 2 versions.

I don't see a free version at all unless it's called something else.

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 26 Sep 2014 23:53

So I checked for Dragon Video Player again and now it's reduced to $14.99 from $39.99 lol They must have realized that VLC is no longer in the appstore and trying make an opportunity. Still too expensive. Make it $1 and you have yourself a deal.

redcurl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redcurl » 27 Sep 2014 00:07

You can download Dragon Player Lite for free ! I can listen to my preferred hi quality streams from the internet.

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 29 Sep 2014 18:53

That must be specific to your country because it doesn't show in the appstore in USA.

VLCnoob12
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCnoob12 » 29 Sep 2014 18:55

No Dragon Player not good. Best free player for iOS is Aceplayer,Media Player-Player Extreme HD, flex player,MX Video Player and not available VLC Player!!!

xilav
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xilav » 06 Jan 2015 19:21

I've found a VLC clone in the Italian App Store and seems free... Maybe you can just try and use it until the official one will be released... Just search for VLC and scroll until you found a free app with a green and white icon. Maybe also in the US App Store is available....

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jan 2015 21:55

No, it's not normal.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

xilav
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xilav » 07 Jan 2015 22:45

No, it's not normal.
I'm sorry but I didn't get the meaning of your answer...
If I have violated any rule, please delete my old post.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Jan 2015 19:26

I've found a VLC clone in the Italian App Store and seems free... Maybe you can just try and use it until the official one will be released...
They are a quite some scam VLC clones in the app store for sale, or with advertisments. They are violating VLCs licence, and you should not use or download such scams.

Alex Dieulot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alex Dieulot » 13 Jan 2015 20:18

Could we get an answer as to why it’s been removed from the Store? It seems to be a secret (I couldn’t find any trustworthy answer online). Which is extra weird for an open source project.

(After much encouragement from me a friend bought an iPad recently, and will receive it soon. No VLC for him is a tough pill to swallow. For me too, as I’m gonna wade through the Store to find a similar app for him.)

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 14 Jan 2015 23:51

Yes, we did not give an official reply yet, and we had reasons for not doing so.

But be assured that we try hard to resolve the issue, and we are confident that VLC will return back to the app store soon.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”