UPNP Music Track Sorting

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Alepsis
New Cone
New Cone

UPNP Music Track Sorting

Postby Alepsis » 30 Jul 2014 20:03

I use a WD MyCloud [Twonky 7.2.8] as DLNA media server on my LAN.

Problem: When I access with VLC for iOS 2.3.0 (iOS 7.1.2) music served by Twonky, tracks are always sorted alphabetically -- which makes them pretty much useless.

I checked the Twonky config file

Code: Select all

server:/usr/local/twonkymedia-7/resources/views/view-definitions.xml
and it appears that the Album view should be sorted by track number, not alphabetically. And, indeed, when I use VLC for Mac, in Album view they are sorted by track number.

To make sure it's not some kind of cache issue, I uploaded a brand new music folder to the server. And the same thing happens: in VLC Mac, Album view, tracks are sorted by track number, in VLC for iOS, alphabetically.

Is there any way to make VLC for iOS sort music tracks served by Twonky by track number?

Thanks.

Alepsis
New Cone
New Cone

Re: UPNP Music Track Sorting

Postby Alepsis » 07 Aug 2014 21:03

Looks like there's no interest in this issue. Too bad.

Anyway, here's an update. I tested several other players. Of these, AVPlayerHD, MoliPlayerHD, 8player have the same issue as VLC for iOS -- tracks sorted alphabetically by title tag, instead of by track number. By contrast, media:connect and ArkMC sort tracks correctly, by track number.

I also tested a hardware network player, and it sorted tracks by track numbers, even in views where Twonky sorts them alphabetically.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Aug 2014 21:43

Actually, this is on my todo list. I can't say for sure if it will make it in the next update or not. Depends on my spare time, which I have a hard time to schedule at the moment.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Alepsis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alepsis » 15 Aug 2014 16:53

Thanks for your reply.

#thweiss
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby #thweiss » 16 Apr 2018 10:33

Hello,

I found this elderly question and will attache my experience with App-Version 3.0.2 for iOS an App-Version 3.0.5 for Android 7.

The function sorting Music-Tracks by number I could not find on both devices (iOS and Android).
Tracks will allways sorted by Name or alphabetic.

Will the sorting Function for Tracks in the App-Version develop in the near future or is the function in developing?

Hope, there are any hints for the moment to make public?

Kind regards
Thomas

m93a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby m93a » 19 Jan 2019 19:17

I second this, the issue is still present in VLC 3.0.13 for Android. It makes VLC pretty useless for playing music over DLNA, unless I create a playlist for each album (and I don't intent to).

deuube
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deuube » 02 Dec 2019 21:34

I agree with the fore going comment. Six years and nothing has happened! The Windows 10 version of Vlc allows sorting by track, artist, alphabetically, etc, etc. Under IOS there is no option other than alphabetical. Enjoyment of classical music is NOT enhanced by hearing the third movement of a symphony before the first. In this case only sorting by track number makes sense.

Deuube

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”