VLC for iOS 2.1 and NAS (UPNP)

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
sabrex
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iOS 2.1 and NAS (UPNP)

Postby sabrex » 11 Sep 2013 23:36

Thanks Felix! Can't wait to try out 2.1.1 ... By the way, is image playback also possible from UPnP/DLNA devices, and if not, is it something that's planned for the future? Can videos/audio that is accessed with VLC then be played on Apple TV or Supported Speaker via AirPlay?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 13 Sep 2013 13:39

@sabrex:
yeah, image "playback" (JPG, PNG, GIF, only) is kind of supported. VLC will show each file for about 10 secs. However, this isn't very useful for now as you can't "play" a folder and you don't have any fade effects either.

You can already play audio via AirPlay as soon as your iOS device detects a capable device on your network. The respective switcher button will appear right next to the volume slider.

For video playback (due to Apple's API limitations), this switcher won't work, so you'll have to use AirPlay mirroring using the multi-tasking interface instead. It still works great on Apple TV for most video though.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

round42
New Cone
New Cone

Postby round42 » 19 Sep 2013 11:36

Appears that the new version is now available on iTunes!!!

I can confirm that files and folders now appear from my QNAP that runs TwonkyMedia, however I can only play maybe one in a thousand video files.

However, just about all files come up as 0.0MB and fail to play.

Also, a very annoying thing, once it fails to play a file, it takes you back to the home screen of the app and you need to drill down into the folder structure all over again. It doesn't return you to the folder you just tried playing a file from.

At this point, even with the update and fixes, this is still not at all useful for UPnP video playback.

What file formats are meant to be officially supported? Perhaps only .mov? I have a lot of mkv, avi and mp4 files but they pretty much all fail.

I'd be very interested in what everyone else can play after you update to 2.1.1.

Hutje
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hutje » 20 Sep 2013 10:54

Great update team, just updated to v2.1.1 on iPad 2.
Thanks for all improvements.

It looks like the iPad 2 cannot convert and then play 1080p movies correctly.
Picture is blurred, sound is off occasionally.
It could be better on iPad 3 or 4, please comment on this, if you have one of those.

The 720p movies are no problem, sound is okay, (included) subs are shown and switchable.
It would be nice if there would be an option to choose from a separate .srt file (if the name is the same as the movie.
Not all my movies have included subs, some series do have separate subfiles.

As round42 mentioned, stopping the movie brings you right back to the home screen of the app.
Would be nice if you came back in the folder were you left of.

Another thing is that the size of all movies bigger then 2GB are displayed as 2147,48 MB
No matter how big the file is.

Another minor issue for me, is the presence of the extension of the file.
I now do not see if the file is a .mkv, or a .mpg, or a .mv4, or a .ts.

But there is always something to complain about..... :)
Otherwise Felix and his team would be chilling all day long !

Thanks team !

Fanfaronade
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fanfaronade » 02 Nov 2013 18:03

Hi there,

As of a few minutes ago, I've downloaded VLC for iOS Version 2.1.3 on my iPad, and I'm still having the same issue with accessing a D-Link NAS drive through UPNP. It can see the drive, but none of the files or folders on it.

GBerger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GBerger » 04 Nov 2013 02:14

I just installed 2.1.3 on my Ipad Air and using a DS212 successfully i now can see and play all my files.
Thanks VLC!

wollabilla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wollabilla » 04 Nov 2013 20:12

Hi there,

As of a few minutes ago, I've downloaded VLC for iOS Version 2.1.3 on my iPad, and I'm still having the same issue with accessing a D-Link NAS drive through UPNP. It can see the drive, but none of the files or folders on it.
Same problem here. I can only see 3 of the total 8 shared folders (Synology 412+)

mza287
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mza287 » 12 Nov 2013 12:23

Appears that the new version is now available on iTunes!!!

I can confirm that files and folders now appear from my QNAP that runs TwonkyMedia, however I can only play maybe one in a thousand video files.

However, just about all files come up as 0.0MB and fail to play.

Also, a very annoying thing, once it fails to play a file, it takes you back to the home screen of the app and you need to drill down into the folder structure all over again. It doesn't return you to the folder you just tried playing a file from.

At this point, even with the update and fixes, this is still not at all useful for UPnP video playback.

What file formats are meant to be officially supported? Perhaps only .mov? I have a lot of mkv, avi and mp4 files but they pretty much all fail.

I'd be very interested in what everyone else can play after you update to 2.1.1.
exactly same here! but i can watch pics and hear audio files. but none of the vids run. at all videos it show 0kb and play fail...
twnokeyserver runs at NSA325 has.

karrih
New Cone
New Cone

Postby karrih » 14 Nov 2013 16:52

Hi

First, thanks for VLC and version of it for iOS.

I downloaded latest VLC from app store for music and it seems to be able to show alac music files from my NetworkSpace 2. Is there a way to play album (or folder) of files from NAS? I only know how to play one at a time and back to root I fall after it.

I am new to VLC streaming and I have been trying to use VLC streaming to receive music from MPD server. It is nice, but I dont understand why I have 25 minute limit to streaming with progress bar at the bottom of VLC (also in Windows). Where does it come from? Can I get rid of it somehow?

karrih
New Cone
New Cone

Postby karrih » 15 Nov 2013 18:25

Hi
I am new to VLC streaming and I have been trying to use VLC streaming to receive music from MPD server. It is nice, but I dont understand why I have 25 minute limit to streaming with progress bar at the bottom of VLC (also in Windows). Where does it come from? Can I get rid of it somehow?
Nevermind. This probably happened because wave format was not 100% supported by mpd. Vorbis encoding is behaving better. There is no limit.

mza287
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mza287 » 16 Nov 2013 00:12

is there no one else with the problem can't play videos cause they come with 0.0mb?

shcn_iter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shcn_iter » 03 Dec 2013 06:28

I can show the upnp content from synology server with the latest iOS VLC but cannot show the content with the VLC 2.1.1 on the OS X.
Could you help trouble shoot?

moche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby moche » 07 Dec 2013 21:51

is there no one else with the problem can't play videos cause they come with 0.0mb?
I'm having the same problem concerning my WD MyCloud. VLC shows the device under Local Network (uPnP) and also shows the files. However, the files are all listed as 0.00mb can't be played. Any idea's? I've seen more people here with the same problem but couldn't find a solution for it.
Im using VLC 2.1.3

Magnum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Magnum » 11 Feb 2014 16:51

Version 2.2.2 is ok with iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS. Unfortunately doesn't work on iPhone 5S (I can see my disk station but when I open it there are no folder available).
I tried already to cancel the app and reinstall, but no changes....any good idea? :roll:

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 11 Feb 2014 18:44

@Magnum: great to hear that it works for with the other devices. What kind of NAS are you trying to access precisely?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Magnum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Magnum » 11 Feb 2014 20:58

I'm using synology Nas 213. Hope it helps....

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 12 Feb 2014 12:41

Seeing the large number of firmware updates available for this Synology device and the possibility of installing 3rd party UPnP multi media servers, I need further information. Precisely, which UPnP multi media server you are running on this devices. If it's Twonky, please update to version 7, which is know to work flawlessly with VLC for iOS.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Magnum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Magnum » 12 Feb 2014 22:48

I use the standard app from synology (all updated).
Upnp works perfectly on Sony Bravia television, on samsung television year 2011, on samsung television 2012.
Vlc works fine on iPad 2, on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, but still doesn't work on my iPhone 5S....

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 13 Feb 2014 21:43

Ok, thanks for your feedback. I'll check what's wrong. Might be a 64bit issue.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Magnum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Magnum » 18 Feb 2014 08:00

I have tried with an other upnp service (an app upnp/dlna from iPad) and VLC works fine also on iPhone 5s (VLC sees the server and the folders). So it seems the problem is only between original Synology upnp/dlna application and iPhone 5s (VLC sees the NAS, but nothing else).

Magnum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Magnum » 28 Feb 2014 18:41

I finally solved the problem....it's not a VLC problem!!!
My NAS was set to not accept new dlna player, and since my iphone 5S is the last arrived....
I apologize for any inconvenient I could have caused :roll:
Thank you

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 01 Mar 2014 22:01

wow, this is unexpected! Thanks a lot for sharing :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”