iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Dogo
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS | iOS

VLC 3.4 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby Dogo » 03 May 2023 15:39

Hello,

We just released a major update for iOS, iPadOS and tvOS!

You can find most of the changes and new features here.

Besides stability and performance improvements, this update also addresses the most discussed bugs on this forum such as:
  • The sorting issues of the collections after the reload of the view
  • The AppleTV remotes gestures
  • The cloud services login failures
  • The file skipping issues
Please let us know how you like the update and report any bugs you might find!

m_alagappan
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.4 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby m_alagappan » 03 May 2023 15:50

Having issues with AirPlay after updating to the latest version. Tried on Apple TV, Roku and Samsung TV and does not work on any of those devices. Just displaying a black screen with only audio.

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 03 May 2023 18:42

Hello,

We are currently investigating the casting issues in order to fix them as soon as possible.

Thank you for your feedback!

Dondellan10
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dondellan10 » 03 May 2023 19:56

Hi,

I'm on an iPad mini 2, running ios 12.5.6. I was using the latest compatible version of VLC for that OS, playing media from OneDrive. It was working perfectly fine and now it says the app has been updated and more than half the videos I play sends the following error message: "error, the chosen media has no playable adress".

mzk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mzk » 04 May 2023 01:23

Overall I like the update, but I have two small things I want to mention:

1. When I tap the info icon on the complex settings, I don’t see a description of the setting, I just see this.

2. I don’t miss the swiping for variable jump duration, but I did like double tap and swipe having different seek durations. Since both gestures still seek forward and back, would it be possible to bring this back? I'd love to swipe for a 30 second jump and double tap for a 10 second jump.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 04 May 2023 04:32

Hello,

Thank you for the update. However, it seems as if the fix for the file skipping issue is hit and miss. I have done several tests on this so far by fast forwarding through a video and waiting for the next one to play. At times it will play the direct next one. Other times it will skip and play the following. On top of that. After whichever it does. Just touching. Not pressing the Apple TV remote, pauses the video. So, there is some kind of gesture malfunction there as well.

New Cone
New Cone

Postby 493008 » 04 May 2023 10:59

When in a playlist of videos, with Shuffle and Repeat All enabled when started, it will only shuffle through the quantity of videos that are after the initially selected video (including the one chosen to start) in the play list. If you start on the last video in the list, it only plays that one video over and over. Start on the 7th from last, and it repeats the same 7 videos.

Prior to the update, it would play through all the videos regardless of where the initial video was in the list.

Ber
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ber » 04 May 2023 13:03

I am experiencing an issue when I attempt to search in the audio tab under Albums or Songs. As soon as I tap the first letter of my search term the app & keyboard freeze (with the letter pop-up on the keyboard up). A few seconds later the app closes.

I have at least a thousand songs in my collection, of which some have special characters from spanish, french, etc alphabet in the name. The issue does not occur if I search by Artist or Genre. Genre certainly does not have special characters, and I do not think artist names do either. So I wonder if the issue is related to these special characters.

I have tried 'Force VLC to rescan the media library', it did not resolve the issue.

The issue did not occur in the 3.3.X versions.

I am using VLC on an iPod Touch with iOS v9.3.5

I hope the issue is easy to reproduce and fix.

Ideas to workaround the issue would also be welcome.

Ruthenium
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ruthenium » 04 May 2023 13:33

I am seeing a problem with playing m3u audio at version 3.4.0 of VLC, that was fixed in a prior version of software. The stream is not played as the player display attempts to open then reverts to tbe “Open Network Stream” page.

This occurs on an iPhone XR at iOS 16.4.1 (a) as well as an iPad at the 16.4.1 (a) release.

kevpac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kevpac » 04 May 2023 14:01

On both my iPhone and iPad, both older devices running 15.7.5, if the appearance setting in VLC 3.4.0 is either "bright theme" or "automatic" (the default?), and while a video is playing I tap the "talk bubble" icon in the lower left corner of the player, the audio track and subtitles options are displayed in white text on a white background, which is very hard to read.

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 15:57

Hi,

I'm on an iPad mini 2, running ios 12.5.6. I was using the latest compatible version of VLC for that OS, playing media from OneDrive. It was working perfectly fine and now it says the app has been updated and more than half the videos I play sends the following error message: "error, the chosen media has no playable adress".
Hello,

Thank you for the report, we will try to reproduce this issue!

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 16:36

Overall I like the update, but I have two small things I want to mention:

1. When I tap the info icon on the complex settings, I don’t see a description of the setting, I just see this.

2. I don’t miss the swiping for variable jump duration, but I did like double tap and swipe having different seek durations. Since both gestures still seek forward and back, would it be possible to bring this back? I'd love to swipe for a 30 second jump and double tap for a 10 second jump.
Hello,

We are lacking some translations of the settings' descriptions which leads to what you saw there.
We will try our best to update the translations as soon as possible!

Regarding the seek duration it was a choice to unify the values, since the feature is the same but performed in a different way.
You can select a custom value in the settings, maybe this could be a workaround for your use case but for now we are not planning on bringing back the previous behavior.

Thank you for the feedback!

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 16:50

Hello,

Thank you for the update. However, it seems as if the fix for the file skipping issue is hit and miss. I have done several tests on this so far by fast forwarding through a video and waiting for the next one to play. At times it will play the direct next one. Other times it will skip and play the following. On top of that. After whichever it does. Just touching. Not pressing the Apple TV remote, pauses the video. So, there is some kind of gesture malfunction there as well.
Hello,

I can't seem to reproduce this issue, can you please tell me more about your tests?
Is this happening on all kinds of collections (media groups, albums, playlists, etc.), is there specific file formats where this issue is noticeable?
Is this happening on both iOS/tvOS?

Regarding the remote gestures I will take a look thank you for the feedback!

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 16:54

When in a playlist of videos, with Shuffle and Repeat All enabled when started, it will only shuffle through the quantity of videos that are after the initially selected video (including the one chosen to start) in the play list. If you start on the last video in the list, it only plays that one video over and over. Start on the 7th from last, and it repeats the same 7 videos.

Prior to the update, it would play through all the videos regardless of where the initial video was in the list.
Hello,

We will investigate and try to reproduce this issue.

Thank you for your feedback!

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 16:56

I am experiencing an issue when I attempt to search in the audio tab under Albums or Songs. As soon as I tap the first letter of my search term the app & keyboard freeze (with the letter pop-up on the keyboard up). A few seconds later the app closes.

I have at least a thousand songs in my collection, of which some have special characters from spanish, french, etc alphabet in the name. The issue does not occur if I search by Artist or Genre. Genre certainly does not have special characters, and I do not think artist names do either. So I wonder if the issue is related to these special characters.

I have tried 'Force VLC to rescan the media library', it did not resolve the issue.

The issue did not occur in the 3.3.X versions.

I am using VLC on an iPod Touch with iOS v9.3.5

I hope the issue is easy to reproduce and fix.

Ideas to workaround the issue would also be welcome.
Hello,

Thank you for the feedback, this issue has already been fixed and will be part of the next release!

Dogo
Developer
Developer

Postby Dogo » 04 May 2023 17:00

I am seeing a problem with playing m3u audio at version 3.4.0 of VLC, that was fixed in a prior version of software. The stream is not played as the player display attempts to open then reverts to tbe “Open Network Stream” page.

This occurs on an iPhone XR at iOS 16.4.1 (a) as well as an iPad at the 16.4.1 (a) release.
On both my iPhone and iPad, both older devices running 15.7.5, if the appearance setting in VLC 3.4.0 is either "bright theme" or "automatic" (the default?), and while a video is playing I tap the "talk bubble" icon in the lower left corner of the player, the audio track and subtitles options are displayed in white text on a white background, which is very hard to read.
Hello,

Both issues have already been reported to us, and we are currently investigating to be able to fix them as soon as possible.

Thank you for the feedback!

skullberg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skullberg » 04 May 2023 19:16

In this new release,I find that when I exit a video by tapping "X" in the corner, it continues to play in a minimized bar on the bottom of the screen instead of stopping as I'd expect. If I pause the video first, it exits completely. Is there a way to turn off this new behavior? I'd prefer if the X button would always completely stop playing a video.
This is on iPhone/iPad.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 04 May 2023 22:28

Hello,

Hello,

I can't seem to reproduce this issue, can you please tell me more about your tests?
Is this happening on all kinds of collections (media groups, albums, playlists, etc.), is there specific file formats where this issue is noticeable?
Is this happening on both iOS/tvOS?

Regarding the remote gestures I will take a look thank you for the feedback!
To start of with. I am using VLC on Apple TV model A1625. The process that I am going through is as follows. I start the Apple TV. There are no opps running in the background. I go and select the VLC media player app. Under local network I select my personal shared server. With my user name and password already there, I select login. I then select my media folder and continue to find a set of videos that have sequential videos. I select video #1 just to see if it will continue to video #2 I fast forward to the end. At the end of video #1 it then continues to video #3. Skipping video #2…. Sometimes. Other times it will play in sequential order as it should. I have tried many different video formats. .avi .mov .mp4 and it don’t seem to matter which format. On a side note, a minor detail. The artwork that is being downloaded for titles, does seem to be cut in half. Not that it is a major deal or anything.
Last edited by yoshiyike on 05 May 2023 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

SergiCasta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SergiCasta » 05 May 2023 01:42

I just upgraded to version 3.4 and VLC has stopped playing videos. Normally I connect my iPad Air 2 to my TV by HDMI but after updating on the two screens (tv and iPad) I see the classic screen of "your content is playing on your TV" but the content is only heard and not seen :shock: . Please fix this bug

SegaMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SegaMad » 05 May 2023 09:45

I just upgraded to 3.4 but also iPadOS/iOS 16.4.1(a) and I can no longer open ANY video files at all.

Files just don’t open at all.

Is there a fix coming?

Petersr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Petersr » 05 May 2023 12:21

Overnight a couple of days ago VLC stopped playing any videos at all on all my Apple devices. I usually use Apple adaptor via HDMI lead. Sound only plays and just a steady screen showing what should be playing.
The good news is swapping over to the app INFUSE has enabled all my videos are now playing everything perfectly using the same method.

SegaMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SegaMad » 05 May 2023 13:56

Yes, definitely seems to be some issues with Apple and VLC at the moment….is anything being fixed or done about these bugs?

jb631
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jb631 » 05 May 2023 21:26

Same issue here.
I cannot airplay to tv. Only sound and on screen and tv..this is shown on tv

Ignis_Reinhard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ignis_Reinhard » 07 May 2023 04:35

This is a minor issue but I thought it would be worth reporting at least.

Using a Shortcut to open an audio file (in my case a .mp4 file) still shows the older playback UI instead of the newer one.

The shortcut is as follows: Open <NameOfFile> in <VLC>

Steps to reproduce:
- Create the shorcut as mentioned previously
- Launch the shortcut

If I start listening to the audio file through the shortcut I get the older playback UI and then if I minimize it clicking on the X in the top left and click on the audio file *from the app* the new UI appears. It's worth noting that the audio file keeps playing normally.

frogola
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.4 for iPhone m3u stream fail

Postby frogola » 07 May 2023 08:10

I am having the same, or similar problem as reported by Ruthenium -- after upgrading to 3.4.0 on my iPhone XR running IOS 16.4.1 VLC no longer plays my m3u stream, when I select the connection from the 'Open Network Stream' screen a black screen flashes by and I'm returned to the Open Network Stream screen. This stream is from my mpd server which always connected flawlessly in the past. I know the mpd server is running because I can connect to this stream using VLC 3.0.18 on my Mac and it plays no problem.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”