VLC for firestick finds no network files

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
mperathoner
New Cone
New Cone

VLC for firestick finds no network files

Postby mperathoner » 12 Jun 2024 12:12

My system: PC with Windows 11, NAS Synology DS 218 j, TV with amazon Fire Stick(2022)

All corresponding apps on the Amazon Fire Stick can easily find the shared folders on the Synology, e.g. the Synology Video Station. VLC finds NOTHING. When you press the "local network" icon, the message "no media files found" appears.

Manually entering the path of the Synology folder (in countless variations according to advice on the web) always produces the message: Path .... not found.

SMB is activated on the NAS and in Windows (also explicitly version 1 there).

I have no clue what to do. For help, I would be grateful.

Reason for installation: the DS Video Station player does not play various formats (e.g. mkv).

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC for firestick finds no network files

Postby Aza » 13 Jun 2024 07:04

In Settings > Advanced, could you please try activating the "Force SMB1" parameter?

ZotacAmp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZotacAmp » 13 Jun 2024 21:13

In Settings > Advanced, could you please try activating the "Force SMB1" parameter?
You shouldn't be encouraging the use of the obsolete SMB1. It will work but is a security risk and a vulnerability. The nightly beta builds use SMB2 and 3, so this should be the standard and the Android app updated.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 14 Jun 2024 07:04

I meant "uncheck", my bad as it's activated by default.
The nightly beta builds use SMB2 and 3, so this should be the standard and the Android app updated.
We tried some times ago and had 10 times the amount of complaints that we have now.

mperathoner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mperathoner » 17 Jun 2024 14:52

Thanks for Your responses. I have de- and reinstalled VCL, and SMB1 was and is activated. But now, the program finds the local network. But: The NAS is shown 3 times, I tried each version: The browser of VLC finds several files, but I have my video files in a subdirectory of the User Directory ( /Gugu/Dreamboxfilme ). The browser of VLC says the directory "Gugu" is empty ( in fact it has several subdirectories). When I add a new server and enter all access information, the program says " Directory 192.168.123.7/Gugu/Dreamboxfile cannot be opened, check the error log - where can I find this error log for further information ??

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”