Fast Seek versus A-B Repeat

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Fast Seek versus A-B Repeat

Postby Spike1 » 31 Mar 2024 21:55

If, in Settings > Extra Settings > Video, "Always use fast seek" is selected, then an A-B repeat region is defined, most of the time the jump back to the start of the region results in an infinite loop lasting under half a second. My guess is that Fast Seek (sub-legend: "Seek is faster but may be less precise") is indeed so imprecise as to land you before the repeat region, triggering another seek. Disabling Fast Seek always solves it, though seek is then...slow. Tested on 3.6.0 Beta 1 nightly 2024-03-01 on several Samsung tablets.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Fast Seek versus A-B Repeat

Postby Aza » 02 Apr 2024 07:47

We should indeed disable fast seek in AB repeat mode. Your issue is now tracked here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/3056

Doe it happen with some specific samples? If so, could you please share one?

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Re: Fast Seek versus A-B Repeat

Postby Spike1 » 02 Apr 2024 13:50

I am using local .mp4 files and have not found one on which the bug does not occur.

AB repeat should not use slow seek, because it's so slow on Samsung Android 8 tablets that it wrecks the loop effect. Instead, if my guess in the first post is correct, AB should have a special case to disable seek in the case that it has just performed a seek.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”