Suggestions regarding FTP on Android

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
FishBoneEK
New Cone
New Cone

Suggestions regarding FTP on Android

Postby FishBoneEK » 19 Oct 2023 15:25

Hello! I have some suggestions regarding VLC on Android (VLC ver 3.5.4)

Short List:
1. More verbose error output about FTP connection
2. Add tree directory view in FTP
3. Import subtitle by path in FTP

Details:
1. Verbose FTP connection output
I noticed that when failed connecting to a FTP server, VLC displays no error output at all and displays a empty folder list, e.g. when FTP daemon not started (host is up but port is closed), host unreachable (when I forgot to assign an IP to my FTP in LAN). VLC should be more verbose about it.

2. Directory tree view
I noticed that VLC searches for vids and music under folders.
For example, I have a movie collection on my FTP in LAN, when I connect to it I want to browse through the directories, select a video to play, and I also want VLC to generate a playlist consisting of medias in the directory I just selected. However, VLC provides me with a folder list, and it scans the entire folder for medias upon selection. This is inconvenient.
I also noticed this thread: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... TP#p534614, which seems to show the same problem. I can help testing with it, I have Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Win 10 on my laptop, plus an Android pad.

3. Import subtitles by path
VLC seems to import subtitles automatically by matching with the name of the video being played under the same folder as the video.
However a lot of media resources put subtitles under a different directory. It would be nice if I can imoort them manually, but it looks like that VLC doesn't have a button for that. I know I can just move those subtitles to the folder, but add a button for manual importing would be just way much more convenient. It would be even better if VLC saves the path of manually imported subtitles, so that next time when I connect to the FTP I don't need to import them again.

Thanks!

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”