No DLNA/UPNP discovery on FireTV?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
MisterBoyVLC
New Cone
New Cone

No DLNA/UPNP discovery on FireTV?

Postby MisterBoyVLC » 03 Nov 2022 18:11

I have a DLNA server in my home and installing VLC on my Mac, phone and Fire Tablet all can easily discover it. However on my 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick it can't see it, and attempts to manually add the IP address are unsuccessful. I installed via the Amazon app-store this week.

I was wondering initially if it were some sort of port issue on my firewall but I have seen the same issue with Kodi and found some forum discussions that this is a known issue for them on this hardware.
I am wondering then if my device is unable to support DLNA for some reason i.e. it's an OS/Hardware limitation not a software/network glitch. Is there any way to find out if this is the case? I would be willing to replace the Fire Stick with a newer version to get DLNA client functionality working, but I want to know that is the problem before doing so because it still works fine for other things.

Thanks for any help.

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Re: No DLNA/UPNP discovery on FireTV?

Postby Alaric » 04 Nov 2022 10:27

Hello, this could be a bug on our side but first please ensure your VLC App is up to date to the latest 3.5.3! We had DLNA bugs in the previous version.
I quickly tested on a FireTV and had no issue discovering DLNA server. Might try to reproduce on the 2nd gen stick if you still encounter the issue...

MisterBoyVLC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MisterBoyVLC » 04 Nov 2022 22:37

Hello, this could be a bug on our side but first please ensure your VLC App is up to date to the latest 3.5.3! We had DLNA bugs in the previous version.
I quickly tested on a FireTV and had no issue discovering DLNA server. Might try to reproduce on the 2nd gen stick if you still encounter the issue...
Thanks. So I'm running VLC For Android 3.4.3 Revision 7e6165d14 VLC: 012337e36 (22-01-05). You mention 3.5.3 but I only installed this on a clean device within the last week and I see no newer version available. I uninstalled and reinstalled "VLC for Fire" using the Amazon appstore to confirm.
I did look at using Downloader which shows 3.5.2 for Android but it wanted to go via Google Play which I don't think it's an option. Perhaps there is a different way to sideload the newest version?

FYI it's Fire TV Stick (2nd gen) running Fire OS 5.2.9.3, my understanding is this device doesn't support 6.x.

raoulduke3000
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raoulduke3000 » 06 Nov 2022 17:04

How does this person get a developer's reply in less than 24 hours and I've been languishing for days?

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 07 Nov 2022 07:42

Please refrain from adding out of context comments in other people's posts...
As far as I can see, your question is 2 days old (and I just answered it), 1 day old when you replied here and it was asked in an holiday weekend here (in France).
As a matter of fact, you shouldn't expect a developer answer in this forum at all. But we (the android team) take a lot of time to try to answer as much as we can. This kind of answers is not really encouraging though...

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Postby Alaric » 07 Nov 2022 17:53

Thanks. So I'm running VLC For Android 3.4.3 Revision 7e6165d14 VLC: 012337e36 (22-01-05). You mention 3.5.3 but I only installed this on a clean device within the last week and I see no newer version available. I uninstalled and reinstalled "VLC for Fire" using the Amazon appstore to confirm.
I did look at using Downloader which shows 3.5.2 for Android but it wanted to go via Google Play which I don't think it's an option. Perhaps there is a different way to sideload the newest version?

FYI it's Fire TV Stick (2nd gen) running Fire OS 5.2.9.3, my understanding is this device doesn't support 6.x.
Thanks for all the info. My bad for the latest 3.5.3, it seems that it's not available on "Fire" devices yet. We tried to reproduce the issue on a Fire TV Stick (2nd gen) and the servers took ages to be discovered. We had the servers appearing on the interface in something like 10 minutes... Do you have the same behaviour? If so, we'll start investigating more :)

MisterBoyVLC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MisterBoyVLC » 08 Nov 2022 18:26

Thanks for all the info. My bad for the latest 3.5.3, it seems that it's not available on "Fire" devices yet. We tried to reproduce the issue on a Fire TV Stick (2nd gen) and the servers took ages to be discovered. We had the servers appearing on the interface in something like 10 minutes... Do you have the same behaviour? If so, we'll start investigating more :)
I will test that - I previously have probably only waited a minute or so. I have seen on my Android phone that the server seems to 'come and go' at times but on the Fire I have never seen it. I will just leave it for a while and see, and let you know :)

rstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rstone » 09 Nov 2022 20:29

I have seen similar behavior under Chrome OS. My Pixel 3 running Android 11 (VLC 3.5.3) will discover servers immediately, but another device running on the exact same WiFi network has troubles displaying the same UPnP servers.

Interestingly, the Chromebook first shows "No connection to local network", then shows one of the UPnP devices (Sonos Speaker) after some time, a 2nd or 3rd speaker will appear a few minutes after that, but it rarely finds all four. In contrast, my phone shows all four Sonos speakers right away, and separately a RaspberryPI running Samba/SMB immediately (the SMB server never appears on the Chromebook). The Play Store does not have 3.5.3 for Chrome OS, it seems only 3.5.2 is available; however, I don't think there were any UPnP changes between 3.5.2 and 3.5.3.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”