Detection problems after virgin installation

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Detection problems after virgin installation

Postby Spike1 » 15 Sep 2022 18:32

Uninstalled the test nightly after our last adventure ("Momentary Refresh indication") and now have the 3.5.1 Nightly of 2022-09-13 on my slow Samsung J7. Because of the signatures issue, this was an install not an upgrade.

So it's the first use and no saved context. (Omitted before: First thing I did was uncheck automatic folder detection. Which was probably in progress?) Then trying to manually check all 30 subfolders of Music, I observe: •No progress messages at bottom of screen •Several discovery failure pop-ups •When I check a box and scroll it off screen to get to others of the 30, then I scroll it back, it's unchecked.

Kill and restart VLC and folder selection and track discovery works normally. If the above is operator error, VLC needs on-screen guidance, more checking, or even to restart itself if operator elects to pick folders manually.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Detection problems after virgin installation

Postby Aza » 16 Sep 2022 07:20

To sum up:
1. You completed the onboarding without touching anything? Not even the "do not index my files" switch.
2. Right after that you went to the settings and unchecked your SDCard to check all your music folders
3. Scan never started until you killed the app

Am I right?

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 16 Sep 2022 13:01

To sum up:
1. You completed the onboarding without touching anything? Not even the "do not index my files" switch.
2. Right after that you went to the settings and unchecked your SDCard to check all your music folders
3. Scan never started until you killed the app

Am I right?
1. Yes, I tapped SKIP to bypass all the tips. Then entered Settings and unchecked Auto rescan.
3. No, it did not, judging by lack of progress reports. When I restarted VLC, it did detect the microSD for the first time and I told it not to add it to the library. Then I proceeded to pick folders and discovery began. It did not give the microSD pop-up when first installed.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 19 Sep 2022 07:18

@Skantes will take a look.

Skantes
Developer
Developer

Postby Skantes » 19 Sep 2022 11:36

I was able to reproduce, I'll start working on it, thank you for the feedback

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 20 Sep 2022 12:58

Reading your bug report #2689, this seems to be my fault (for skipping the first-use dialogue, which would have asked me to give VLC permission to read the tracks)! But good to write code to do the right thing in this case.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”