(Feature request) horizontal fill and vertical fill

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
soltinator
New Cone
New Cone

(Feature request) horizontal fill and vertical fill

Postby soltinator » 10 Aug 2022 20:23

Watching videos on long screen phones with notch and curved corners is a pain
And as far as I tired all of the screen modes either distort the aspect or not fill the screen properly.
Best fit goes under the curved corners and fill goes under the notch (disabling the notch in the options makes it go under the corner and it's a bit farther then where the notch actually is.) Center is good but it won't work on small video sizes as well as other custom aspect ratios. They fill under the corners but not the notch if it's disabled.

So I'm asking you guys to either add separate horizontal and vertical fill or if there is such a option in vlc guide me to it.

Vlc android.
Beta tester version from Google (most recent update)
Android 12 - samsung M32 (SM-M325FV/DS)

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: (Feature request) horizontal fill and vertical fill

Postby Aza » 11 Aug 2022 07:35

The new 3.5 version has a new option to let the app manage the notch. Could you try long tapping the icon that changes the ratio?

soltinator
New Cone
New Cone

Postby soltinator » 12 Aug 2022 13:16

In case you didn't read the initial post.
I said yes. I tried all of the options with the notch and without the notch.
And I also said that I'm running the latest beta version available on Google play.
And also I mentioned that there are curved corners at the bottom of the screen. That disabling or enabling the notch won't effect them and picture always go under it.
Also I tried disabling the notch in the system setting. No difference.
I also said in that case the solution would be to add a option of vertical fill that keeps the aspect ratio but fills the screen.
My phone size is 1080 by 2000 ish something. So it shouldn't have a problem showing a 1080p video as it's accounted for in pixels. But it ends up going under the display corners.
It doesn't matter if it's filled or not. If there was a zoom option or anything related to custom screen fill and fit it would have been grate. I get no control.

So if you don't care enough to read the post before spitting out the same sentences I don't think you would be able to program a "requested feature" in a software.
For --please stay polite-- sake. If I knew android I would have fixed it myself instead of typing here.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 12 Aug 2022 15:01

Hello.

I got the same "issue" on my galaxy S10 ( notch and curved corner ) but I think you are not shooting on the right devs...

Notch can be avoid by vlc because android gives the option to applications to know where the notch is.

For curved corners, I don't think android give the information to applications.

If I'm right, we are a little bit screwed as long as android devs (or maybe phone devs) don't fix this...

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 29 Aug 2022 08:11

Gracus is right. We cannot detect the rounded corners as there is no API in Android to request them. Fine zooming will be probably be added someday, but probably not before VLC 4.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”