Scrubber bar tracking drift with long Ogg Vorbis files

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Snowbat
New Cone
New Cone

Scrubber bar tracking drift with long Ogg Vorbis files

Postby Snowbat » 08 Oct 2020 22:58

When replaying long (1-2 hour) Ogg Vorbis files, I notice the scrubber bar has some kind of tracking error that increases the further into the file you go. On a file of just over 1 hour total, tapping at ~15 minutes causes the scrubber dot to jump to ~20 minutes as soon as play starts. Tapping at ~30 minutes causes the dot to jump to ~40 minutes on play. Tapping ~45 to jumps to ~57 on play.

Is this a known bug? I don't get this problem with long mp3 files. Also, they scrub normally in VLC for Linux.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Scrubber bar tracking drift with long Ogg Vorbis files

Postby Aza » 09 Oct 2020 07:08

Could you please send a sample so we can test?
Does it also happen if you uncheck the "fast seek" setting under Settings > Audio?

MacLean
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MacLean » 22 Mar 2022 04:01

I am having the same issue in VLC for Android 3.4.4. It has always happened in all earlier versions that I tried. Seeking around with the bar causes it to jump forward, and it does seem worse with larger files and worse the further in the file.

Seeking to near the end causes the file to stop playing and also fail to play the next time it's played, I guess it seeks to an invalid position after the end of the file, and then stores that position for next time? It sometimes works to reset at the beginning if I try to start playing it twice, or play another file and then go back to the first file.

I didn't find a "fast seek" setting. I have tried toggling hardware acceleration, Audio Output, and time stretching settings and nothing gets better (may get worse).

It is strange that some shorter ogg files (say, ~3 minutes long) do seem to skip about ~2s ahead of where I seek, but others work fine with no incorrect seeking.

Here's a publically available ogg that has this issue:
https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/songs/song35.ogg
via https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#35

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 22 Mar 2022 06:38

I can confirm that this file has issues. In the 3.4.4 version we turned "fast seek" off and it should be precise. But it's not. I also see that the desktop version is not affected.

We'll take a look.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 22 Mar 2022 06:44

BTW this issue is now tracked here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2439

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”